Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 7 2012, 10:34 PM   #16
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

VulcanJedi wrote:
I'm wondering if a new wave of Trek toys will hit the shelves when the new movie comes out? Will they be made by a new company, or will they change the design?
Actually, it was announced that Hasbro got the license to make toys for TREK 2013. I'm glad. Hasbro has proven much more commercially competent and successful than Playmates and others who have tackled the TREK action figure lines in the past...and with all due respect to some of those other companies, they weren't able to make most of their figures and dolls look like the actors and characters. Some of them quite frankly sucked the chrome off a trailer hitch and were kind of embarrassing.

Shazam! wrote:
LOL One was Wedge! I got him, Ponda Baba and a Hoth guy from Smyth's (UK toy shop).

I hear Bespin Han is being re-released in a future wave.
Yeah, the following 2011 Vintage figures are slated to be repacked and rereleased over the next few months or so:

VC21 Gamorrean Guard
VC28 Wedge Antilles
VC50 Han Solo(Bespin Outfit)
VC51 Barriss Offee
VC52 Rebel Fleet Trooper
VC53 Bom Vimdin
VC54 ARC Trooper Commander(Captain Fordo)
VC55 Logray(Ewok Medicine Man)

I think the following should also be repacked and rereleased, but Hasbro for some reason or another isn't planning on doing so:

VC12 Darth Sidious(Revenge of the Sith)
VC18 Magnaguard
VC65 TIE Fighter Pilot
VC68 Rebel Soldier(Hoth Battle Gear)
VC69 Bastila Shan
VC70 Ponda Baba
VC94 Imperial Navy Commander
VC96 Darth Malgus

It's always the figures you want to be rereleased that never do...or you end up waiting years for it to happen. Meh. Good thing some of us got these when they were first out, because there's no guarantee they'll ever see retail again.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151

Last edited by cooleddie74; April 7 2012 at 10:48 PM.
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 10:46 PM   #17
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Imperial Navy Commander and Darth Malgus haven't turned up in the UK yet (neither has the deleted scenes wave) so I'm not scrambling around for those just yet.

I really do want Bespin Han and ROTS Sidious but I'm not paying silly money for them.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 10:51 PM   #18
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The Darth Malgus wave isn't out in the States yet either, but I and a small handful of other collectors have gotten our hands on the wave through toy shops, friends with connections and the like. Here's a photo of the Malgus wave I scored five days ago. I've posted it before but I don't know if you saw it or are aware of what the packaging on these new figures looks like. Quite a few people aren't. I must say, the artwork or photos on all five of these really impress me. The Darth Vader on a classic STAR WARS(ANH) cardfront really brings back a lot of memories from my early childhood.

Old April 7 2012, 10:54 PM   #19
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I have seen the deleted scene wave, but stupidly passed on them when I did. Of course, the next time I was there, they were gone.

If I should see Malgus, though, that sucker's getting snatched up in an instant.
Old April 7 2012, 10:55 PM   #20
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I haven't seen them together like that but I saw the packaging over at Rebelscum. Vader, Luke and Malgus are definites for me from this wave.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 10:57 PM   #21
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Cooleddie, how is the Vader? Is it any kind of improvement over the Evolutions one? That's still the best Vader, imo. Though, I know that this one is ANH Vader, and the Evolutions one is ROTJ. I guess the better comparison is to the VOTC version, which was also ANH based.
Old April 7 2012, 11:00 PM   #22
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

What really irks me about figures like the Imperial Navy Commander are that they're supposed to be army builders collectors need to buy multiples of, but he's going to be released just once this entire year and is packed just one per case of twelve figures. That means unless your store puts out a whole bunch of cases' worth of this wave on their pegs and you're lucky enough to find all those Imperial Navy Commanders before anyone else then you're not going to be able to army build. It just makes no real sense. Characters like him should be at least two per case to ensure that people who want more than one of him will be able to get more than one of him.

OdoWanKenobi wrote:
Cooleddie, how is the Vader? Is it any kind of improvement over the Evolutions one? That's still the best Vader, imo. Though, I know that this one is ANH Vader, and the Evolutions one is ANH. I guess the better comparison is to the VOTC version, which was also ANH based.
The best A NEW HOPE Darth Vader ever made. Ball-jointed hips, baby. Ball-jointed hips. And they finally sculpted his hands to be able to securely grasp his lightsaber, got the color of his mask's eye lenses correct(in the original movie they were reddish-brown, not black like in all the other films where the Vader armor appears) and nailed his shoulder armor(in the first film they had fabric from his robes draped over them). A definite must-buy, man. Get him if you see him. He'll probably sell out fast.

Old April 7 2012, 11:05 PM   #23
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^Remember the Scout Trooper fiasco years ago? Nobody could find them because everyone was army building. This was made even worse by the fact that there was a mail-away figure that required buying all of the figures in the wave. Hasbro had to change it so that any combination of figures could be used to get the mail-away.
Old April 7 2012, 11:09 PM   #24
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^Remember the Scout Trooper fiasco years ago? Nobody could find them because everyone was army building. This was made even worse by the fact that there was a mail-away figure that required buying all of the figures in the wave. Hasbro had to change it so that any combination of figures could be used to get the mail-away.
It's funny. The Episode I Battle Droid will appear in at least three case assortments this year, but more popular Original Trilogy army builders like the Hoth Rebel Soldier, Mon Calamari Pilot and Imperial Navy Commander each appeared in just one. That's it. A whole lot of people still haven't found the Deleted Scenes wave because of the glut of all the Episode I wave figures from January and February, and it's made even worse by the fact that the Mon Cal Pilot army builder in that assortment isn't getting repacked anymore this year. I love Hasbro for the most part...they're probably the best toy company on the planet. But man, when it comes to getting an adequate supply of really popular and in-demand STAR WARS figures on the market they're as clueless as a Neanderthal with a time machine.

Episode I 3-D is over. It's come and gone. Nobody wants to see hundreds of Qui-Gons, Ewan McGregor Obi-Wans and Podracers on the pegs for the next twelve months. Let's get more new stuff to the stores, and in good numbers so everyone will have a shot at the good stuff.

Old April 7 2012, 11:14 PM   #25
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yes, because movie toys are always rotated in a timely manner, which is why there are no Thor or Captain America figures still to be found on pegs.

Oh, wait....
Old April 7 2012, 11:17 PM   #26
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The all-time worst glut of STAR WARS toys was during 1999-2001, when all that unsold Episode I merchandise just crammed store pegs for what seemed like an eternity and new waves with new figures were sort of infrequent. The final wave of Episode I(Sio Bibble, Pit Droids) was released around March of 2000 and then it was six or seven long, boring months before the very first figures of the brand-new Power of the Jedi line started trickling into stores...and even then leftover Episode I stuff hung around well into 2001 in some stores I saw.

Old April 7 2012, 11:41 PM   #27
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Oh man, I remember that. I may have been a very young collector at that time, still dependent on my mother to buy me my plastic crack but I remember my disappointment at going into Wal-Mart, or Toys R Us and seeing peg after peg of Soi Bibbles.

I don't know if anyone here is interested in the more high end stuff, but I thought I might show off the Star Wars figures that I have from Sideshow Collectibles. These are in 1:6 scale, and are awesome.

I know you can't see them all from the angle of the pics, but I'd be happy to take better pics of individual ones if anyone asks.
Old April 7 2012, 11:42 PM   #28
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

That's way more high-end stuff than I have, bro. VERY nice pictures. My most "high-end" collectibles are probably the 12" Hasbro figures and some of the electronic ships and vehicles.

Old April 7 2012, 11:44 PM   #29
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Haha, these put the Hasbro 12 inch figures to absolute shame.Vader, Maul, and Clone Wars Obi-Wan are are easily among my absolute favorite things that I own, along with the Iron Man, Yoda Vs. Clonetrooper, and Creature From The Black Lagoon statues that I showed in the picture of my desk. That Creature statue is extra special. Only 100 of those exist in the whole world.
Old April 7 2012, 11:53 PM   #30
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

^
I agree! As much as I like all of my 12" figures and dolls your collection blows them all completely away. It's like comparing ripe apples and orange peels.

Here's my Deleted Scenes figures I scored about a month ago. These things are still unreasonably hard to find for a whole lot of collectors here in the States thanks to the logjam of unsold Episode I wave figures that doesn't seem to be budging all that much. These are some of my favorite Vintage Collection figures, especially the Luke and the Mon Cal Pilot.