Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22 2012, 11:41 PM   #1141
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

I agree that Shaw would need to make some kind of active effort to absorb and deflect the energy; an effort he was unable to make since Xavier had frozen his mind.

I also agree that I'm not sure Xavier thought this through very well as far as what he would do with Shaw once he got him. Magneto's plan to kill him was definately the most practical.
Old February 23 2012, 12:08 AM   #1142
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Put me on the list of people that would like to see them do both an X-Men: First Class sequel AND X-Men 4. I think they could do it, particularly if they could get Vaughn to direct the next prequel while Bryan Singer directed X4.

suarezguy wrote: View Post
I really felt "First Class" felt more like a reboot, aside from the appearances of Mystique and Xavier's mansion and wheelchair; the biggest discrepancies were Magneto gaining his helmet so early (and Xavier knowing about its power) and Mystique apparently not having such a traumatic childhood and bitter attitude (although it would be interesting to see what embittered her, including against Xavier, in sequels).
It would be cool to see Schreiber as Sabertooth in a third movie meet Magneto and somehow morph into the Mane version.
I got the impression that Mystique did have a rather traumatic childhood prior to finding Xavier. It's the reason why she was an orphan breaking into random people's houses to begin with. As for why she turned against Xavier, I think it's because:
(1) he never explaned the Westermarck Effect ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect ) to her and
(2) Magneto is a really smooth operator who's able to convince a hottie to walk around naked for the rest of her life.

As for Liev Schreiber, I'm of the personal opinion that, in the movie universe, Victor Creed & Sabertooth are not the same person. They're played by different actors. They're never once referred to by the other name, not even in the credits, when nearly everyone else is. And Sabertooth doesn't act as if he has any idea who Wolverine is.

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Funny how talented artists only need four minutes to convey a message and make a solid point, while for others, not even 70 minutes of semi-coherent nerdrage isn't quite enough.

These HISHE toons are true gems, IMO.

Offtopic bonus:

Classic shit right here...
Both very funny. But the best/worst would have to be the one they did for Spider-Man 3. That one completely ruined the actual movie for me forever.
"And no narrating!"
Old February 23 2012, 03:37 AM   #1143
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

How it should've ended: Spiderman 3 was actually so bad and pointless I stopped it at 3:12. They didn't make a better case, I'll take the movie in this instance.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 04:07 AM   #1144
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
How it should've ended: Spiderman 3 was actually so bad and pointless I stopped it at 3:12. They didn't make a better case, I'll take the movie in this instance.
It's a shame, past the 3-min mark they really get into pointing out the movie's flaws.
Old February 23 2012, 05:23 AM   #1145
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Is not the point of their vids to "get to the point" faster and more logically than the movie did? It was for others they've done, so ergo this vid=fail imo.

I just don't feel inclined to rewatch it now. The opportunity for 'the funny' is now lost.
Old February 26 2012, 03:50 AM   #1146
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Looks like my original hopes and speculations weren't off the mark. I hoped First Class would remain in the Top 20 for the year, and it looks like it did stay as the 14th highest grossing film of 2011.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gal...2011-275348#14

Now, while yay for them, if everyone thought their numbers weren't that impressive, then what does that say about the rest of the top films?

But anyone. When do we get a new thread for the sequel? I can't keep track anymore!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 05:00 AM   #1147
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think someone said above, someone would start a thread for the sequel when we have actual news.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 03:48 PM   #1148
stj
Rear Admiral

As to whether Shaw needs to consciously exercise his will to absorb KE, and therefore needs to know about the threat, I can only repeat that nuclear radiation would have killed Shaw if either were true. However could Shaw hope to sleep if he needed to be awake to fight off the damage from radioactive fallout in his postnuclear apocalypse paradise? However could a man in his eighties or nineties managed to fight off skin cancer and other kinds of skin damage if either were true?
Old February 26 2012, 04:38 PM   #1149
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
Is not the point of their vids to "get to the point" faster and more logically than the movie did? It was for others they've done, so ergo this vid=fail imo.

I just don't feel inclined to rewatch it now. The opportunity for 'the funny' is now lost.
I think the "point" of their videos is more to make the ending more "logical" and funny or to just make fun of the movie in general. The Superman one "takes place" almost at the end of the actual movie and simply has Superman showing that he can move fast enough to find and catch both missiles.

In the Spider-Man 3 video it was more of a montage of scenes pointing out all of the flaws in the movie.
Old April 6 2012, 11:38 PM   #1150
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I thought I'd dig up this thread to mention that the sequel to First Class is scheduled to start filming in January of next year. This comes after news broke that Fox and Lionsgate were trying to work something out so that Jennifer Lawrence could do this as well as the Hunger Games sequel (which would shoot first, likely next fall).

It seems like Fox is definitely targeting a Summer 2014 release for the First Class sequel.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 01:22 AM   #1151
Skywalker
Admiral

Woohoo!
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 03:27 AM   #1152
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Bow chik a wow wow!!!
Old April 7 2012, 03:40 AM   #1153
Disruptor
Commodore

More mutant tie ins with historical events. If they go to Woodstock, you can count me out.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 03:47 AM   #1154
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Bryan Singer has mentioned the possibility of Vietnam and Matthew Vaughn talked about wanting the opening shot of the film to address the JFK assassination and have Erik be responsible for the so called "magic bullet". Not sure if either of these possibilities will actually be in the film of course.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 04:35 AM   #1155
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Singer needs to just go away.

Let the new team take up the franchise. First Class was better than SInger's overwrought allegory polemics from scene one word one.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote