Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 6 2012, 10:35 PM   #331
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3 $$(ENDINGS SPOILERS)$$

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Not going to quote your post, Reverend, but yeah, Ashley's writing in ME3 is even more disappointing for those of us who romanced her (and considered her their primary romance ).
I guess I'm fortunate that my "main" Shepard's only love interest across all three games was Liara. By all accounts hers was the best handled of all of them. I mean which other LI let's you meet your potential future father-in-law? OK, Miranda, but Jim from Neighbours doesn't count because Miranda kills the bastard.

...I guess you do get to see a potential future sister-in-law if you romance Ash, but again, nothing of substance happens. You don't really meet her and she doesn't say anything.

You know, this occurred to me the other day; a *lot* of ME characters have seriously screwed up family issues in general and father issues in particular. Let's see...Ash: daddy *and* granddaddy issues. Liara: absentee father (until ME3) and estranged mother. Wrex: very old father issues. Garrus: disapproving father issues. Jacob: unnecessarily weird father issues. Miranda: 'nuff said. Jack: orphan who has more personal issues than she has tattoos. Thane: is himself a "father issue". Samara: Morinth. Morinth: Samara. Grunt: Okeer...I suppose. Bit of a stretch though. Did I miss any?

Oh, I suppose to cap it all off there's the whole Father daughter/son relationship that Anderson ans Shepard suddenly acquire at the last minute...well acted and everything, but it felt a bit sudden.

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Doing my first "Ashley is alive" ME3 playthrough right now and she's still in the hospital right now, but I'm curious, where is she located when she's on board the Normandy later? In the "Samara Lounge" just like Kaidan? Alternatively I was thinking they would put her in Life Support, or the "Thane Memorial Room" as I call it.
Yes, Ash ends up in the same lounge area that Samara & Morinth were in...which I felt was a bit of an odd choice as it only adds to the feeling that she's isolating herself in there.

Speaking of the life support room, I did find it a bit odd that they never used that space for anything, besides finding one of the model ships. They didn't even change it much from ME2 besides cover up the window. Saving it for a future DLC squadmate perhaps?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:39 PM   #332
Skywalker
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Speaking of the life support room, I did find it a bit odd that they never used that space for anything, besides finding one of the model ships. They didn't even change it much from ME2 besides cover up the window. Saving it for a future DLC squadmate perhaps?
That's where the Starchild will stay when he becomes a squadmate in Mass Effect 4.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:47 PM   #333
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Somehow I *completely* missed Matriach Aethyta in my first playthrough, so I'm definitely looking forward to meeting the "father-in-law" on my current engineer FemShep that's romancing Liara.

I find it kind of hilarious that the ME2 armory has been blocked off in ME3. A room that was home to a character so boring, it's not even worthy of existing anymore...
Old April 7 2012, 12:02 AM   #334
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^It would have been even funnier if Jacob was still in there. Just imagine: a bloke so dull and unmemorable that they walled him up without realizing.

..to be fair though, looking at the map, a good chunk of what used to be the armoury is where the war room now resides. One assumes the walled up part is where most of the war room's the support gear was housed.
Old April 7 2012, 05:05 AM   #335
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I FINALLY finished the game for the first time today. It was tough avoiding spoilers since the ending is talked about on all the sites I seem to go to!

And I gotta say, I'm not sure if I was expecting the worst thing I've ever seen in my life or what, but nothing really bothered me about the end at all.

I'm glad it wasn't an ending where everything worked out perfectly, I'm glad there were negative ramifications (stranded aliens, etc? Yup, sacrifices had to be made, they all knew that going in), but there's still that bit of hope when Joker crashed (them being in a mass relay never once crossed my mind, Normandy can travel faster than light without it).

I have few complaints, I enjoyed the series and am itching to get back at it with my renegade Shep!
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 05:41 AM   #336
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

So, before I actually read the thread and see what people have to say, I wanted to say something about the ending...

it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd heard. Like... at all. Kinda confusing? Has some issues? Sure, absolutely. I'm bummed of course that Shepard has to die and she won't get to retire and have little blue babies with Liara (I'm assuming all three choices end in Shep's death, I went with "Synthesis"), but it was definitely a wrapped-up ending. Why was Normandy in mid-jump, how did EDI get back on board, did I see Liara come out at the end (highly unlikely for my Shepard since she was on the final run and presumably got vaporized with Ash)?

Still... the game was so amazing overall that those seem like quibbles. Maybe I just heard so much bitching (though fortunately not spoilers) I was prepared for something even worse?

Ok, willread the thread
Old April 7 2012, 09:58 AM   #337
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Congratulations to both of you for avoiding spoilers this long, I know I had a hell of a time and I'm glad I managed it.

While you're both right that the ending wasn't *that* bad, in and of itself, if you read through the thread you'll quickly pick up on the main complaints. Of course this being the internet, the fuss kicked up got blown way out of proportion, both by the usual over enthusiastic fans and trolls and oddly by the gaming press which appears to be split between supporting the complaints and complaining about the fact that people complained, as apparently it threatened the future of the gaming and possibly civilization as we know it, depending on who you listen to.

Bottom line though. You know the ending you saw? It's the same one everyone else saw. *Nothing* you did mattered in the end. All that mattered was your effective military strength and which colour you liked best...that's all. All the endings are 90% the same.

[Edit]

This just in from Angry Joe.

Last edited by Reverend; April 7 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old April 7 2012, 01:23 PM   #338
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Did I miss any?
Tali, whose dad loved her enough to rebuild geth and get killed by them?

Oh, I suppose to cap it all off there's the whole Father daughter/son relationship that Anderson ans Shepard suddenly acquire at the last minute...well acted and everything, but it felt a bit sudden.
I didn't think it was so much "sudden" as "retrograde". ME1 kinda had that feeling, but ME2, during their brief interactions on the Citadel, had more of a "brothers in arms" feeling.

Somehow I *completely* missed Matriach Aethyta in my first playthrough, so I'm definitely looking forward to meeting the "father-in-law" on my current engineer FemShep that's romancing Liara.
You're not the only one - I manged to miss her too. With my FemShep who romanced Liara.

It is nice to have confirmation of everybody's theory from ME2, though.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 01:27 PM   #339
throwback
Captain

I am reading that people are expecting DLCs similar to what we got with the first two games. I don't think this is likely. EA's CEO is big on microtransactions, and microtranactions can only happen with multiplayer. I think EA is going to follow Activision's lead in that they will release more multiplayer maps and packs to go with these maps for the Mass Effect series. And, I think that if there are more games in the franchise, they will be more like CoD or Battlefield. I believe we are in the era where if you want to play the truly innovative and imaginative games you need to seek out the smaller video game developers.

As for Bioware, I think the writing is on the wall. Bioware is on a decline, and I don't think the people in charge are capable of pulling the company out of its tailspin.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 01:40 PM   #340
ATimson
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I am reading that people are expecting DLCs similar to what we got with the first two games. I don't think this is likely. EA's CEO is big on microtransactions, and microtranactions can only happen with multiplayer.
EA was happy enough to do standard DLC for ME2 and both Dragon Age games. I don't see why they wouldn't let that continue.

There's no reason they can't do both. Heck, that would probably be better for EA; I suspect that the sets of purchasers of each type of DLC will be generally disjoint.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 01:53 PM   #341
HotRod
Commander

I am reading that people are expecting DLCs similar to what we got with the first two games. I don't think this is likely. EA's CEO is big on microtransactions, and microtranactions can only happen with multiplayer. I think EA is going to follow Activision's lead in that they will release more multiplayer maps and packs to go with these maps for the Mass Effect series. And, I think that if there are more games in the franchise, they will be more like CoD or Battlefield. I believe we are in the era where if you want to play the truly innovative and imaginative games you need to seek out the smaller video game developers.

As for Bioware, I think the writing is on the wall. Bioware is on a decline, and I don't think the people in charge are capable of pulling the company out of its tailspin.

Why you gotta be so negitive? Bioware made a mistake, that I can agree with. But it does seem at this point that they are atleast TRYING to solve it.

PAX gave me a little more hope even with the Extended Cut being promised to be more then a few little cutscenes. The fact they are taking their time making it and are in the process of bringing in the voice actors point to this. Will it solve all the problems? No. We still gotta live with the Starchild. But atleast if I know Garrus and Tali won't starve to death, or that not everyone on the Citadel is dead, or that the Galaxy has the ability to rebuild the relays, then maybe, just maybe, I can live with Star-Kid.

And your also wrong in regards to the other DLC I think. All signs point to a pretty even level of both SP and MP DLC. Hell, they pretty much screamed "WE'RE GONNA RETAKE OMEGA".

Has the evil that is EA currupted Bioware just a little? Sure, maybe a little. But that don't change the fact that they still managed to give us a GREAT game that up till the last little bit was on track to being the best ending to the best gaming trilogy ever made. They hit a road bump and veered off the road. But it does seem they are gonna get back in the car and atleast try and finish the race. Might not be first place, but it's something.

Last edited by HotRod; April 7 2012 at 04:15 PM.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 04:18 PM   #342
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Still on my third playthough and bugger me if Kaiden hasn't done it again. He's had not one, but two well written and satisfying conversations. One in the Normandy's crew quarters (hurray, he gets out of the lounge!) and another at the cafe on the Citadel. They even make fun of his uptight personality. I may actually be starting to li- gah! *chokes on words* lik- hrmm....not totally loath him. There, I said it!

Oh and I know this femShep is pure paragon, but bugger it my main Shepard already stayed loyal to Liara so I thought, "sod it, I'll do something differently" and so she went and jumped in the shower with Traynor.
While I appreciate that they didn't bugger about with "jealousy confrontations" this time around, I still got a bit of a tongue lashing from Liara (no, not the fun kind.) Yikes. Suddenly I'm thinking pissing off the most powerful information broker in the galaxy wasn't a very smart move. Her tone of voice alone had me thinking of commandos and being flayed alive with biotics...

Of course that's somewhat undermined by the pleasant day out we had on the citadel not five minutes later...
ATimson wrote: View Post
I am reading that people are expecting DLCs similar to what we got with the first two games. I don't think this is likely. EA's CEO is big on microtransactions, and microtranactions can only happen with multiplayer.
EA was happy enough to do standard DLC for ME2 and both Dragon Age games. I don't see why they wouldn't let that continue.

There's no reason they can't do both. Heck, that would probably be better for EA; I suspect that the sets of purchasers of each type of DLC will be generally disjoint.
Yeah, as much as they're clearly trying to push multiplayer, I don't think they're about to delude themselves into thinking that most of their most of their customers aren't interested in more single player content. Hell, the damn epilogue was essentially a ham fisted promise of exactly that. They even drop you back before the endgame so you can do that "one more story."

Well, at least one more anyway. I imagine only the sale figures of the first one will show the true extent of the damage to their customer base and determine if there is to be a second or third.
You're not the only one - I manged to miss her too. With my FemShep who romanced Liara.

It is nice to have confirmation of everybody's theory from ME2, though.
Indeed. How all we need is to get Wrex and Aria in the same room.

Also, would you believe I managed to totally miss Conrad Verner in my first playthough? Well not totally, he just randomly appeared out of nowhere to jump in front of a bullet for me. Wasn't until my third playthough that I got the whole thing.
Old April 7 2012, 04:24 PM   #343
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
I'm glad it wasn't an ending where everything worked out perfectly, I'm glad there were negative ramifications (stranded aliens, etc? Yup, sacrifices had to be made, they all knew that going in), but there's still that bit of hope when Joker crashed.
The problem with the endings isn't that they weren't happy, that's a strawman that has been thrown around for weeks and it's tiresome. Personally, I wanted my Shep to die, from the moment I killed Mordin in order to sabotage the genophage cure I wanted this guy to sacrifice himself in a final redemptive act.

My main problems with the endings are these...

1) I didn't believe a single thing the star child said, but I wasn't allowed to say so. They took away the dialogue wheel at the most important point in the game and just expected me to accept that the solutions presented by the self-confessed creator of the Reapers were the only valid ones. I don't want to commit genocide by picking the destroy option, I don't want to enforce slavery by picking the destroy option, and I certainly don't want to violate the rights of every single thing living being in the galaxy by picking the synthesis option. And I also don't want to destroy the mass relays no matter what I choose. If the catalyst is powerful enough to produce space magic that can spread across the entire galaxy then surely it must be able to create a switch somewhere that will turn off the Reapers and do nothing else.

2) It's thematically inconsistent with the rest of the series. All three games have been about uniting the galaxy, bringing disparate peoples together to work towards a common goal. This game even goes so far as to say that one of the greatest assets this cycle has over all those that came before is its diversity, that no one race dominates. Yet the ending which is portrayed as the best, synthesis, the one which is hardest to achieve and the one that is claimed will bring lasting peace, shits all over the concept of diversity by forcing everything to be uniform. The people that wrote the ending of the game appear not to have paid attention to what the rest of the games are about.

3) The destruction of the mass relays makes most of your choices in this and the previous games utterly pointless. Cured the genophage? Doesn't matter, the Krogan are stranded on Tuchanka. The Quarians finally regained their homeworld? Doesn't matter, their fleet is stuck on the other side of the galaxy. United all major races of the galaxy? Doesn't matter, it will be centuries before they reach one another again, galactic civilization is essentially destroyed. That's not a bittersweet ending, that's fucking devastating.

Yeah, happened to me too, I don't know how I missed her. I finally met her during my second playthrough, that was more fitting considering that femShep was in a relationship with Liara.
Old April 7 2012, 04:38 PM   #344
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I think it's understandable that people missed her. I mean for some inexplicable reason they changed her appearance so she just looks like some random Asari. I missed her old face. it had more characters. Speaking of which, a lot of returning characters looked decidedly...off. Bailey, Conrad, even Udina.
Old April 7 2012, 04:45 PM   #345
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, a couple of the characters looked different, which is weird as the game is running the same engine as ME2. As for Aethyha, her name should have shown up on the map like some of the other characters.

For those that don't watch sfdebris' reviews, he did a joke about ME3's ending in his latest video, around the 10 minute mark.