Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 1 2012, 03:37 AM   #1
stonester1
Rear Admiral

I just saw BSG: The Plan for the first time...

Heres what I wrote about it on Facebook...

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan-The last follow up BSG film after the series ended, which told the story from the Cylon point of view, using a combo of new footage and clips. Overall, I enjoyed it, but thought the "going behind the scenes" and showing how it was all done, ie clearing up all the "mysteries" that the Cylons were involved with was unnecessary. That was done for some of the fans who complained about not all the "mysteries" being solved. Who cares? Mysteries are fun. But the GOOD part was going a bit deeper into the mindset of the Cylons and their Plan, how they thought they were doing the will of God and even doing humanity a favor. But their plan began to quickly break down with contact with the humans. And prolonged contact made things unravel even further. What was really interesting was that they illustrated the schism in Cylon society through the Cavils (Dean Stockwell), who voiced the break in Cavil's point of view, though their viewpoints on humanity, the Plan and the conflict could not have been further apart. That was well done and made the film for me.
Old April 1 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
scnj
Captain

Re: I just saw BSG: The Plan for the first time...

I liked the stuff about the Simon model who cared about the humans, but the stuff explaining how Six disappeared in that one episode was awful. I always figured she was just projecting into everyones' mind rather than just Baltar's.
Old April 2 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

I'm someone who just "accepts the mystery" so I really don't see a need for this film, but I'm glad it sounds like they put a little effort into it.
Old April 2 2012, 11:29 PM   #4
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

scnj wrote: View Post
I liked the stuff about the Simon model who cared about the humans, but the stuff explaining how Six disappeared in that one episode was awful. I always figured she was just projecting into everyones' mind rather than just Baltar's.

I think it's a better mindfrak that Baltar had to deal with a physical copy of the Six that everyone else was dealing with too, then go back to having his head-Six.

It probably could have done without an explanation, but the one we got wasn't terrible either.
Old April 3 2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I didn't think "The Plan" was bad by any stretch, but I did come out of it with a sort of "...So what?" kind of feeling. But it has some fine sequences and effects and I'm always up for more music from Bear McCreary.
Old April 3 2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I think the best part of The Plan is the attack on the colonies sequences. The visuals and music were stunning. The darkness and tragedy of that really was quite effective.
Old April 3 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Plan is pretty good up until it shows the attack on the Colonies. After that it simply reviews everything that went on during the first two seasons and becomes rather tedious.

Like I said in another thread "instead of The Plan, I would have preferred A Script."
Old April 3 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
AJ86
Captain

I'd have enjoyed the attack better if it wasn't a carbon copy of something from Stargate Atlantis. The BSG CG obviously better, but it was so blatantly a copy it came off as kinda tacky.
Old April 3 2012, 06:15 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The Plan is pretty good up until it shows the attack on the Colonies. After that it simply reviews everything that went on during the first two seasons and becomes rather tedious.

Like I said in another thread "instead of The Plan, I would have preferred A Script."
Yeah. I still find it ironic that a movie called "The Plan", didn't actually have one.
Old April 5 2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Caliburn24
Commodore

I too was underwhelmed by The Plan, which is a shame because Bear McCreary brought his A-game with "Apocalypse" and some of the other tracks he composed for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-tUbTU0jIA
Old April 5 2012, 06:54 PM   #11
cml898
Lieutenant

I like it when they take familiar events and show them to us again from a new perspective, such as the "Expose" episode of Lost. So I enjoyed "The Plan" very much. I don't care if certain answers were necessary or not, I enjoyed getting a slightly deeper glimpse into what was going on from the Cylon's perspective during the first two seasons. Most of all I was grateful to see the Simon character finally be given something interesting to do on the show.
Old April 6 2012, 05:07 PM   #12
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Simon was criminally underused in the main series, I agree it was great to see him fleshed out more.

And I also enjoy seeing things from another perspective. In fact, if they ever wanted to get me to rebuy the whole series again (I have it all on DVD), one thing they could do is re-edit episodes that could use footage from The Plan, or just regular deleted scenes to expand the episodes. There were so many cut episodes that really seemed to hurt the story but for the want of an extra two minutes.
Old April 6 2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

"The Woman King" would certainly be more effective if the original ending hadn't been excised. There are definitely several other episodes that would be better if they had been longer. It's a shame Bear McCreary couldn't score the longer version of "Unfinished Business." I like the extra scenes, but prefer the tempo to the original that his (original) music provides.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 6 2012, 08:31 PM   #14
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
"The Woman King" would certainly be more effective if the original ending hadn't been excised. There are definitely several other episodes that would be better if they had been longer. It's a shame Bear McCreary couldn't score the longer version of "Unfinished Business." I like the extra scenes, but prefer the tempo to the original that his (original) music provides.
That extended version of Unfinished Business was just fantastic, regardless of the music. I wish the third season could have actually shown this stuff in order, instead of having to do it in flashback.
Old April 14 2012, 02:55 PM   #15
The Janitor
Ensign

milo bloom wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
That extended version of Unfinished Business was just fantastic, regardless of the music. I wish the third season could have actually shown this stuff in order, instead of having to do it in flashback.
I wasn't too enamoured with the extended version of Unfinished Business, it wasn't a great episode, despite some magic moments, but I was pretty angry that Dualla's character was cheapened further by showing her knowledge of Lee being in love with Kara that early on. That part was better left on the cutting room floor.

The Plan was a let down too. I so wanted to love it...but...I just can't. As a standalone, it's script is choppy and makes little sense unless you are already a fan. I think too many fans were disillusioned by that point so it had too be something really special to win back the goodwill..but it didnt. The premise is amazing. The script was lousy.