Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 6 2012, 05:32 AM   #616
smarine
Ensign

Re: Why was Kes written off the show?

I had no idea about any of that, but then I've usually been rather too busy to 'dig' into the extra details, and just watch the show for it's incredible value. But knowing those things as outlined, might explain a few things for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed her chartacter, feel that if she had stayed , as you stated, that they could have explored her character traits amazingly well.

I'm normally never someone to critisize acting, but I felt some of Jen's acting in places was a tad either rushed, or simply again as stated, possibly not felt enough?

I didn't have all that many moments like that, but they were enough that I can see them wanting to replace her, but having said that, what she did while there I thought was enough to make Voyager better for it indeed.

I also think with the utmost certainty and emotion, that 7's addition to the show was a very smart move, for obvious reasons. Her acting was stunning and her entire character was so spot on, and the scripts absolutely genius.

I enjoyed all the series, but I think Voyager has managed to grab me even now, as I watch reruns fairly often, and lets face it everyone, the 'chemistry' between all the characters was amazing, no matter their salaries

New technologies afforded for the shows special effects etc., given its the last currently of the series notwithstanding, allowed everything to come together perfectly.

I hope the next one, if there is one will be just as good.

They were actors portraying characters, but still, given my love for space and wanting to ' go where no person has gone before' , when I watch this show its like hanging out with friends. I can't think of a better compliment

Thanks to all of them, and prior series as well for giving us all something to look forward to ,as our technology evolves, and we as a species grow into maturity.

Watching it as part of my dvd collection had me slightly missing the 'tv' show again and wishing I was on that ship with those amazing people exploring worlds together; so short of that, finding this list was as fulfilling as well.

Cheers
smarine

exodus wrote: View Post
NightOwl wrote: View Post

Right on both accounts, I believe. However, Sandoval still has a point. Jennifer wasn't in a top 50 of good looking folks, Garrett was. One might even argue if keeping an actor based on looks is in itself the opposite of being PC, despite Garrett being Asian, but I digress.
Sex appeal has always been a major factor in selling Trek to the public. Every show be they male or female has always had a sex symbol type character. Look on all the TV shows, how many ugly people are on TV? Even the old people are pretty.

As far as Kes, isn't there a recent interview with Jen Lien posted on this site that explains that her contact ran out and that she had talked to Berman about wanting leaving acting anyway? So it sounds like even if they killed off Harry Kim, Jen Lien didn't want to stay anyway. So they kept the guy that did.
Doesn't matter how much potential Kes the character had. If the actor isn't serious about the job anymore, then they aren't going to put their best into the role.
smarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 07:06 AM   #617
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

I finally get to quote the illustrious Wadsworth:
"Communism was just a red herring."

And I believe the wrong clip is used the previous page. Given the epic derail this thread has had, the clip of mutant Paris taking Janeway to warp 10 so they can have cold, clammy amphibian sex should be used.

This thread did devolve after all.

and this thread is about as healthy as this:

and this for good measure when looking at the thread:
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 07:31 AM   #618
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

teacake wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
1. The Kes character was in fact extremely hard to write for because in her personal interactions with other characters, the other characters all loved her and were instantly swayed by her marvelous wisdom and angelic goodness. In Resolutions, for instance, she instantly persuades Tuvok to turn back for the Captain and Chakotay. Jennifer Lien is so cute and that voice is so gorgeous
I guess I am alone in not being able to stand her voice. I spent the first 3 seasons of VOY during my maiden watch of the series wanting to slap her.
Her voice was the main reason I couldn't stand her. It irritated me so much, it was 1000 times worse than Keiko's whine. I din't want to slap her, I wanted to throttle her. The other reason i didn't like the character was because she was so sickly sweet.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 07:44 AM   #619
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Wow really...Kes's voice was so sexy and alluring and distinctive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 07:59 AM   #620
Lynx
Rear Admiral

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
I finally get to quote the illustrious Wadsworth:
"Communism was just a red herring."

And I believe the wrong clip is used the previous page. Given the epic derail this thread has had, the clip of mutant Paris taking Janeway to warp 10 so they can have cold, clammy amphibian sex should be used.

This thread did devolve after all.

and this thread is about as healthy as this:

and this for good measure when looking at the thread:

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 08:02 AM   #621
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
1. The Kes character was in fact extremely hard to write for because in her personal interactions with other characters, the other characters all loved her and were instantly swayed by her marvelous wisdom and angelic goodness. In Resolutions, for instance, she instantly persuades Tuvok to turn back for the Captain and Chakotay. Jennifer Lien is so cute and that voice is so gorgeous
I guess I am alone in not being able to stand her voice. I spent the first 3 seasons of VOY during my maiden watch of the series wanting to slap her.
Her voice was the main reason I couldn't stand her. It irritated me so much, it was 1000 times worse than Keiko's whine. I din't want to slap her, I wanted to throttle her. The other reason i didn't like the character was because she was so sickly sweet.
I love her voice!

As for "sickly sweet", I have to disagree. She's nice and friendly, yes. But also very strong, willed and determined. I always found her a great contrast and complement to Janeway and Torres. She can win arguments and get her way by simply moving around the obstacle and attack it from another alngle.

Old April 6 2012, 08:12 AM   #622
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Give me Janeway's "I'm smoking a packet of cigarettes right now before I vaporize your chest with this phaser rifle" voice any day for sexy.

I do think Kes is less sickly sweet than she appears initially. Her voice did her character a disservice.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 08:18 AM   #623
teacake
Fleet Admiral

And I would like to take a moment to welcome Miss Chicken to this thread, I don't believe I have ever seen her at these lofty heights before. Usually she is a confirmed bottom dweller.

Miss Chicken "you truly belong here with us, among the clouds."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 6 2012, 08:22 AM   #624
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Miss Chicken has been here as long as I have. We have had some interesting debates during the years.

However, I haven't seen her post that much in the recent time so: Welcome back!

Old April 6 2012, 08:25 AM   #625
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Oh she's here, she's just down below.

:: wriggles eyebrow ::

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 6 2012, 10:45 AM   #626
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
+1
Old April 6 2012, 11:00 AM   #627
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Oh she's here, she's just down below.

:: wriggles eyebrow ::
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 01:51 PM   #628
spot_loves_data
Captain

^ I have no idea what that means. A dino crushing a beer can...
spot_loves_data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 06:30 PM   #629
smarine
Ensign

What utter rubbish, come now MIss chicken.

Tell us how you really feel

I smell a ton of rotting jealousy coming off of you, and its not very appealing.

I've talked to many trek fans, and never has anyone said such strange things, but I guess it takes all kinds, and all kinds of opinions.

I may not have felt her acting was always spot on, but she did an amazing job for the most part, her voice did not annoy me on any level, and she was not sickening sweet. I think you missed a few episodes !

cu
smarine

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Old April 6 2012, 06:35 PM   #630
smarine
Ensign

Makes comments about no welcome mat offering...sulks and
slips into warp drive and sneaks into the next sector of of space looking for friends...

smarine (sniff)

Lynx wrote: View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Miss Chicken has been here as long as I have. We have had some interesting debates during the years.

However, I haven't seen her post that much in the recent time so: Welcome back!