Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 5 2012, 06:46 PM   #1756
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Loken wrote: View Post
Man, it is such a shame they couldn't continue this fan series. The Tausarrian Intersction remains the best fan film outside "World Enough and Time." What they did was amazing.
I agree. The parts of "The Tressaurian Intersection" (hope I got the title right) that I've seen are excellent. If this series were produced on a regular basis, it would give just about any other fan films a serious run for their money.

And that's the truth.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 07:18 PM   #1757
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It was an amazing amount of fun.

For a good part of the time we were working on this, no other fan film making such extensive use of full sets and locations had been released. The producers had visited the partial bridge set at what would become New Voyages, but "Come What May" was shot while we were in preproduction and released while stuff was being built in Austin. And of course the first installment of Exeter, "The Savage Curtain," had been finished in 2003. So we were pretty much in uncharted territory for most of this time. Jimm and everyone else had TOS itself and otherwise pretty limited research/reference material to base everything on (he's a fan of the Franz Joseph publications of the 1970s and to some extent the FASA games).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 09:02 PM   #1758
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

That is why I wish they could get out the fourth Act. This has such huge potential. The teaser with teh primary hull of the Congo was AMAZING and the idea of them being in the rain was brilliant.

Doc John Muenchrath (McCoy from P2) and I met with Jim last year in Austin and I had talke dto him a few times about getting the sets. Ultimately Ajax got them and I am happy for that. But Jim was super nice and very generous.

It really is a shame that they couldn't keep going, but if Tausserian Intersection is your Magnus Opus, I say Bravo! I know it sets a standard we are shooting to match.

Alec
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 09:11 PM   #1759
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Jimm is a great guy, level-headed and low-key. You could always rely on his word.

The rain was serendipitous - though I doubt anyone thought so while they were standing in it - and Jimm added more visible rain in post. That landscape was great, though.

The Kongo reveal was what we called the "Planet Of The Apes" shot. We loved that a lot, too.

One thing we talked a lot about while cooking up the story was "what kind of stuff might they have shown on TOS that they didn't, and that we can without violating the spirit of the thing (Jimm and Josh not being big fans of much Trek after the original)." Having a ship jettison and crash the saucer came out of that.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 5 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 09:55 PM   #1760
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I spoke to both Jimm and Josh on and off over the years, since before they released The Savage Empire. Both of them were always very gracious and very supportive. Indeed, Jimm even took the time to register on our forum and posted some very kind words about our first fanfilm.

The Savage Empire is still one of my favourites.
Old April 6 2012, 08:59 AM   #1761
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

"The Savage Empire", Dennis, not "The Savage Curtain".
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:19 AM   #1762
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

lennier1 wrote: View Post
How many of us even remember what happened in the existing parts?
You are allowed to watch the segments again, you know.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 07:30 PM   #1763
beamMe
Fleet Captain

beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 09:32 PM   #1764
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Well put.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 09:45 PM   #1765
lennier1
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:05 PM   #1766
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Thanks Maurice...
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2012, 10:53 PM   #1767
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Jimm is a great guy, level-headed and low-key. You could always rely on his word.

The rain was serendipitous - though I doubt anyone thought so while they were standing in it - and Jimm added more visible rain in post. That landscape was great, though.

The Kongo reveal was what we called the "Planet Of The Apes" shot. We loved that a lot, too.

One thing we talked a lot about while cooking up the story was "what kind of stuff might they have shown on TOS that they didn't, and that we can without violating the spirit of the thing (Jimm and Josh not being big fans of much Trek after the original)." Having a ship jettison and crash the saucer came out of that.
The Kongo shot was the best shot of that segment. When they pulled back for the wide shot, all I could think was "holy shit!".
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 04:46 PM   #1768
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

middyseafort wrote: View Post

Love the set dressing in STARSHIP EXETER. Reminds me of the early TOS look, where the ship looked lived in with microtapes haphazardly strewn on the briefing room table. That's a detail I don't see much in fan films, where everything is neatly arraigned and the sets don't have much of a lived-in look.
They did indeed do great set decoration in this scene.

Doing much of the Phase II set decoration, I can tell you that the "lived-in look" cuts both ways and we need to be careful not to overuse it. If there is a relatively constant state of disheveled-ness employed to make the sets look believably lived in, when it comes time to show, for whatever reason, that things are really chaotic and hectic, you've got no place to go set decoration-wise. You can't leave crap lying around to convey chaos if lots of crap lying around is the normal state of affairs. In that case, crap lying around would look like just another day on the ship--if that's how the set decoration looks all the time. So, the sets need to be pretty neutral so you can move from there as needed. (Finding a good "neutral" is the art of doing this.)

At any rate, here's a "we're hectically trying to scramble around to get some answers" shot from "Kitumba:"

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2012, 08:46 PM   #1769
Maurice
Vice Admiral

DestinyCaptain wrote: View Post
Thanks Maurice...
You're welcome.

Set dressing IS an art. If you look at Act One of TTI the briefing room table is relatively uncluttered. In Act Three the table gets cluttered with tapes and a tricorder because Garrovick is going through every bit of data he can to find an answer, and the chaotic clutter indicates his state of mind. In this shot from Act Four, everything's still a mess because he ran off to the bridge earlier and left things in a state of disarray.
Old April 11 2012, 08:12 AM   #1770
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The crew makes a discovery on Corinth IV.