TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 5 2012, 03:08 AM   #2176
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

I think the "current" Hulk looks good and I, again, love the hell out of the clip. Is it a bit cliche'd? Perhaps but I think I can sort of expect that from Joss. It's still an awesome clip and I'm glad it seems like we'll get to see Black Widow doing some ass-kicking.
Old April 5 2012, 03:09 AM   #2177
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Well said and I whole heartedly agree. It's all well and good about disagreeing and not liking something, but to carry it on all this time? It'd also be another thing if someone changed their mind as well...but that isn't the case at all. By now we all get Flying Spaghetti Monster's point. He isn't a Joss fan and doesn't like the approach to this movie. Point made. .
I think it's funniest he's looking for "freshness" in a movie using characters and storylines over 60 years old! Of COURSE we know what to expect. Is anyone surprised at how Black Widow was going to handle herself?
It's like showing a clip of Banner starting to get angry, and complaining that there was a time in the 70's that a character getting angry and turning into a large, hulking monster was fresh, but not here. We all know basically what we're getting into and we mostly seem to be loving what we're seeing so far.
Old April 5 2012, 03:11 AM   #2178
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I wonder what he'd say if Black Window played the damsel in distress and was utterly helpless and needed a man to come save her? I mean, that's what's supposed to happen to women (even "strong" women) in movies, right?
Old April 5 2012, 03:56 AM   #2179
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My point is that the scene didn't even need to play out. As soon as we saw her in the chair surrounded by bad guys, we already exatly what would happen, how it would happen, and we already know, before the action takes place, that we are going to just accept that she ill take them out despite the fact ScarJo probably couldnt bench press forty-five pounds.

But that's only part of the point.I'm not going to worship the alter of Nolan, but, with Batman Begins he took material that was indeed familiar and at least made it seem fresh, depsuite the fact that it actually wasn't.

But Avengers looks like a paper thin money grab, with no subtlety or craftsmanship. Hey that can be ok, too. I'm a fan of the first Transformers film. But that was quite a few years ago, even the sense of fun that that film brought to the table has worn thin in films that have tried to replicate it in the intervening years.

I am just offering an opposite point of view. This film should be marginally entertaining. Just accept the fact that there's no story, no drama, nothing in here that would turn a good science fiction film into a great one. It's summertime, and to the extent that I wnat to have fun, I'll enjoy it. I don't know, I just find it pointless to get all worked up about it. Same with TDKR. Looks like it will be just as overcooked as the last film.
Old April 5 2012, 04:08 AM   #2180
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
My point is that the scene didn't even need to play out. As soon as we saw her in the chair surrounded by bad guys, we already exatly what would happen, how it would happen, and we already know, before the action takes place,
You're just being obtuse now. I could predict the ending of probably 90% of the scenes in movies I go to see just because of the way movies and story telling works. Hell, I can tell you the whole story of the movie right now.

A big threat comes to Earth, the Avengers are assembled and initially suffer some growing pains in working together given their diverse group and their various backgrounds; but in the end finally get over their personal bullshit, learn to work together, stop the threat and emerge triumphant.

Yeah when the scene started I knew exactly where it was going to go. It was obvious just from knowing her character she was going to punk all of them and kick their asses. That still doesn't mean it cannot be enjoyed! I already know the good guys are going to win in this movie. I already know who's going to survive based on their various franchises still being in place. But, hey, I can still enjoy the ride and the visuals of it all.

...that we are going to just accept that she ill take them out despite the fact ScarJo probably couldnt bench press forty-five pounds.

Forty-five pounds is how much your average kindergartener weighs. If ScarJo has kids I doubt she'd struggle to lift them into the car or to give them a hug. She seems pretty fit to me while still being feminine and slender. And no matter how much weight she can bench that still doesn't mean her swinging a foot at your head at great force isn't going to knock you for a loop.

Last edited by Ugly Sweater; April 5 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 5 2012, 04:34 AM   #2181
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'll actually agree with you. I enjoy going to films like this to turn off my brain and enjoy it. Yet, I by the same token I also can;'t get so worked about the film as you guys can before it comes out. And I still think that, taken in context with every other genre picture coming out this year, there's nothing fresh.. nothing truly "interesting" (I don't mean that from the point of view of having interest in seeing it, but there's nothing inherently interesting about the ideas of many of the films coming out)
Old April 5 2012, 04:36 AM   #2182
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I've been looking forward to this since Iron Man came out, and I'm not even much of a comic book reader. I'm looking forward to seeing Whedon's take on the characters, despite the fact that being Whedon he can't resist at least one scene where a tiny woman beats the crap out of multiple muscular men as if they were made of feathers.
Old April 5 2012, 04:40 AM   #2183
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm a comics fan.
I'm a big Marvel fan, first character I ever saw was Spider-man.
I'm a big Joss fan.

I too have been looking forward to this since Iron Man.
As Trekker notes it's easy enough to understand the beats of the film. It's watching the symphony unfold for it's crescendo that's been building for 5 years that I'm going to relish.
Old April 5 2012, 05:08 AM   #2184
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Exactly.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Old April 5 2012, 07:57 AM   #2185
JRS
Fleet Captain

This is a prime example of my problem with casting 'ScarJo'. She doesn't look like she can hurt a fly. But hey - we see some boob jiggle in the fight, and that is supposed to make it a awesome.
That was pretty cool scene, IMHO.
I think 'ScarJo' is perfect for the role. She looks for the part and seems enthusiastic about doing it. Plus the boob jiggle is always nice to see, in this era of so many fake boobies.
I still hope that we will see a Black Widow film in the future.
Maybe Joss Whedon could do that film also
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
Old April 5 2012, 08:28 AM   #2186
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Alan Silvestri's score album tracks have been revealed...nothing spoilery.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/04...album-details/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Old April 5 2012, 12:04 PM   #2187
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Love the fight clip, although when she broke the chair I half-expected her to stake one of the guys with a broken chair leg.
I did too, briefly, but it doesn't quit fit the more humurous theme of the scene. Either way, perfect scene and Coulson was awesome as usual.
Old April 5 2012, 01:30 PM   #2188
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Love the fight clip, although when she broke the chair I half-expected her to stake one of the guys with a broken chair leg.
I did too, briefly, but it doesn't quit fit the more humurous theme of the scene.
Or the studio PG-13 cash grab.
Old April 5 2012, 01:33 PM   #2189
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
My point is that the scene didn't even need to play out. As soon as we saw her in the chair surrounded by bad guys, we already exatly what would happen, how it would happen, and we already know, before the action takes place, that we are going to just accept that she ill take them out despite the fact ScarJo probably couldnt bench press forty-five pounds.
And? Would you be happier if she were a female body builder with more muscles than Lou Ferrigno or Arnold back in their competition days? How about if she were a little 5-foot-nothing 60 year old Chinese man?

Raw strength isn't everything.

But that's only part of the point.I'm not going to worship the alter of Nolan, but, with Batman Begins he took material that was indeed familiar and at least made it seem fresh, depsuite the fact that it actually wasn't.
This looks very fresh to me. It's very different in style than EMH, for example.

But Avengers looks like a paper thin money grab, with no subtlety or craftsmanship.
Ok, two things here:

1) what were you expecting...Avatar? Forbidden Planet? 2001? It's a comic-book superhero movie. There never was any intention of making "art"

2) Accusing Joss Whedon of not displaying "craftsmanship" is a laughable notion. Joss is a very careful craftsman, esp at the script stage. The BW scene is classic Joss juxtaposition of one extreme (heavy action of Widow kicking butt) with another (Coleson waiting patiently while she does so).

And of course we can't overlook Joss' signature dialogue. The new clip and the previous ones have yielded 3 gems in particular that I am hopeful make the final edit: "We may not be able to protect the world, but you can be damn sure we're gonna avenge it!", the "I have an army..." "We have a Hulk." exchange, and now "Let's do a headcount: two master assassins, one super-soldier, and one demigod and you've managed to piss all of us off..."

That new one had me cheering, just in clip form.

Hey that can be ok, too. I'm a fan of the first Transformers film. But that was quite a few years ago, even the sense of fun that that film brought to the table has worn thin in films that have tried to replicate it in the intervening years.
See above. This ain't high art, and Joss isn't Ansel Adams. Nor does he try to be.
I am just offering an opposite point of view.
A point of view that makes little sense.

This film should be marginally entertaining.
This film is gonna rock!
Just accept the fact that there's no story, no drama, nothing in here that would turn a good science fiction film into a great one.
See above again.

It's summertime, and to the extent that I wnat to have fun, I'll enjoy it. I don't know, I just find it pointless to get all worked up about it. Same with TDKR. Looks like it will be just as overcooked as the last film.
Nolan...he's another story... Mr. "It's NOT a superhero movie"...talk about bad directing choices...

Yes, Chris...it IS a superhero movie...and there's nothing to be ashamed of about it.

Then again, none of the LA Batman movies have really done well by him. Give me the Timm-verse Batman over any of the others. The only decent thing the LA versions gave us was Nicholson's Joker.

InklingStar wrote: View Post
I've been looking forward to this since Iron Man came out, and I'm not even much of a comic book reader. I'm looking forward to seeing Whedon's take on the characters, despite the fact that being Whedon he can't resist at least one scene where a tiny woman beats the crap out of multiple muscular men as if they were made of feathers.
Something that happens a lot in comic books...coincidence?

JRS wrote: View Post
I still hope that we will see a Black Widow film in the future.

Maybe Joss Whedon could do that film also
I'd go see it in a heartbeat. I was really looking forward to seeing what he was going to do with Wonder Woman...until the moron suits at Universal pulled it...
Old April 5 2012, 01:35 PM   #2190
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

edit
Closed Thread