RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 399
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 29 2012, 11:46 AM   #31
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Does anyone out there have have AvX #1 yet? If so, please spoiler code any early reviews.
Yes, I do. But I'm not planning on saying anything about it until next Wednesday.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:22 PM   #32
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Well, nothing really happened in #0... it was basically an introduction to the characters for someone unfamiliar with them.
why are wolverine and spiderman on the side of the avengers? wolverine has always been the flag bearer of the x-men behind cyclops and the professor.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:44 PM   #33
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

do we have a list of who'll be on each side? i can see the juggernaut on one of the pictures.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:57 PM   #34
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
why are wolverine and spiderman on the side of the avengers? wolverine has always been the flag bearer of the x-men behind cyclops and the professor.
I will say this about issue #1. There's a roll call page that shows who is on which side, Avengers or X-Men, and on that page they have Wolverine and Beast straddling the line between the two.

As for Wolverine and Cyclops, they don't see eye to eye and they've gone in different directions.

allyngibson.net
Old March 29 2012, 06:09 PM   #35
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
do we have a list of who'll be on each side? i can see the juggernaut on one of the pictures.
IIRC, that's Colossus in Juggernaut's helmet. Not sure of the details on why.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 06:14 PM   #36
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Wikipedia article...it contains spoilers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenger...en#Main_series

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 06:23 PM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

Spider-Man and Wolverine have been on the Avengers since 2005.

Beast is on the Wolverine X-Men team and also on the Secret Avengers.

Colossus became the new Juggernaut in the "Fear Itself" crossover and is fighting to contain the impulse to destruction within him. I forget what happened to Cain Marko...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 08:01 PM   #38
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I finished reading both Avengers Point One and Avengers Vs X-Men #0. First of all, I can't wait until Hickman takes over after act one, gotta agree about the "Bendisspeak". The point one issue was the better issue, the zero issue was simply set up. Vision has returned pissed off, frustrated, and sad which is to be expected. He might be the wild card in this arc. I echo Tony's sentiments as well with regard to Vision and Wanda, I liked them together as well. Not off to the blaring start I thought but then like I said, this was mere set up.

Old April 4 2012, 01:06 AM   #39
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Going on sale tonight at select stores and in wide release tomorrow, Avengers Vs. X-Men #1:
It's no longer coming — it's here!
Does the return of the Phoenix to Earth signal the rebirth of the mutant species? That's what the X-Men believe!
Unfortunately, the Avengers are convinced that its coming will mean the end of all life on Earth!
The stage is set for the ultimate Marvel showdown in this oversized first issue!
I've admitted that I'm not a Marvel reader. The last Avengers comic I picked up would have been Avengers/JLA #4. The last X-Men comic I picked up would have been Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men: Second Contact. However, I'm a little bit more versed on what's happening with the X-Men than I am with the Avengers; at work, I often have to write about the X-Men, and I've become rather good at faking it.

Some thoughts on AVX #1. Non-spoilery ones first.

This is the second Brian Michael Bendis comic I've ever read; the first was AVX #0 last week. The pace of it surprised me. This was like the Geoff Johns/Jim Lee Justice League; lots of big panels, lots of showy artwork, and not much in the way of plot movement. Oh, don't get me wrong, stuff happens, but it feels stretched out. This could have fit a 22-page comic easily.

This first issue is weighted a little more towards the Avengers than the X-Men; we don't reach Utopia until near the staple in the middle, and even then we have more Avengers moments.

Now, spoilers.

Now, the expectations game.

It's hard to judge where a 12-part story is going to go based on a single issue. But, based on the way stories like this are told, I'll take a stab.

I think my overall feeling was of "Meh." It's not objectively bad. It just moves slowly, and it assumes that the audience knows the backstory. When I said last week that this issue makes a better start for AVX than last week's issue #0, I really meant that.

allyngibson.net
Old April 4 2012, 01:39 AM   #40
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The X-Men are hopefull that Hope is the mutant messiah and Scott specifically is expecting that the Phoenix's arrival will bring some kind of positive change for the mutant race despite previous encounters with it would indicate otherwise. Death and destruction usually are left in it's wake.

It isn't surprising Bendis writing with the X-Men characters is inconsistent because frankly, Bendis doesn't write those characters. It is intriguing to me the writing arc break down Marvel has chosen with who is writing what arc of this book. Starting with Bendis seems logical since I'm assuming we're going to be dealing with the Avengers characters early on which of course he is intimately familiar with. Jonathan Hickman takes over I believe the next arc, with Aaron writing the finale arc in the fall (the latter two are the far superior writers in my opinion right now, Bendis has lost his touch). I'm forgetting where Brubaker and Fraction will be slotted in the arcs.

@Allyn yeah Bendis is known and loathed by a lot of fans for his "writing for trade" pace so it isn't surprising that you picked on that. It is what he is currently being maligned for on his "Avengers" run which has become stagnant and uninteresting IMO...yet I still continue to read. He will be concluding his long run with the Age of Ultron which is supposed to happen in-conjunction or after AVX. Not sure. I was thinking Age of Ultron or aka The Ultron War arc was going to happen prior to Avengers Vs X-Men. It also might be a summer arc.

EDIT: I just read Rich's review on Bleeding Cool...sigh...I knew I wasn't going to like Bendis's arc on this book. Still getting this tomorrow though.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; April 4 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old April 4 2012, 02:14 AM   #41
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

I've read Rich Johnston's review of issue #1 twice now.

I can't really disagree with it.

And I was aware of Bendis' reputation for decompressed/writing-for-the-trade storytelling. It's well known that he took six issues of Ultimate Spider-Man to do what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did in fifteen pages in Amazing Fantasy #15.

allyngibson.net
Old April 4 2012, 02:36 AM   #42
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ My apologies...wasn't sure what you knew or didn't about his rep, I have been a fan of Bendis and like what he is doing with Ultimate Spider-Man right now, you can tell he has a passion for Miles Morales, but in the 616 Universe I feel like he's almost "phoning it in" or lost his interest right now. I don't disagree with Rich's take for once either. Can't wait for Hickman and the other writers arcs to start lol.

Old April 5 2012, 02:45 AM   #43
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Read the issue today and my issue was mainly Bendis' writing. I agree with the issues that both Allyn and Rich brought up in their reviews of the issue. I still remain excited about the book, but am really looking forward to the other writers on the issue. Bendis can not write 616 Spidey without having be immature and nothing more than comedic fodder. There is almost no point on having Peter on the team any more.

Old April 5 2012, 03:18 AM   #44
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Read the issue today and my issue was mainly Bendis' writing. I agree with the issues that both Allyn and Rich brought up in their reviews of the issue. I still remain excited about the book, but am really looking forward to the other writers on the issue. Bendis can not write 616 Spidey without having be immature and nothing more than comedic fodder. There is almost no point on having Peter on the team any more.
i completely agree with you about Spidey. compare Spidey in AvX or X-Sanction to Spidey in the current Amazing arc. almost like two different characters.
Old April 5 2012, 03:22 AM   #45
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yep. Slott and Hickman both have written Spider-Man differently, Slott though has started improve and evolved since taking over the book. Hickman has written Peter with the respect he deserves and hasn't forgotten that while he is a funny character, he's also a brilliant scientist that Tony Stark once made his protege, and that Reed Richards has been impressed with. Bendis writes 616 Peter as almost a caricature. As a huge Spidey fan I find this really irritating. I hope this isn't how he writes 616 Spidey in the upcoming "Spider-Men" because if so, I'm going to be really disappointed. 616 Spidey is not Ultimate Peter.