Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 31 2012, 07:52 AM   #1
bobzhou525
Cadet

Why do you watch Star Trek?

Having just finished a Trek TV series (DS9), I feel inspired to ask this question of other people: why do (or did) you watch Star Trek?

Simply put, my primary reason (besides entertainment) for watching Star Trek is to see a vision of the future. To see Roddenberry-style optimism and ideology, but also to challenge and question it (as was done in DS9) is very important, because (in my opinion) the purpose of television is not only entertain us but also to inspire us to search for ways to turn that which we hope for into reality.

As someone whose day job (as a scientist) directly contributes towards bringing into reality this more hopeful vision of the future, I'd say that Star Trek has been a pretty significant continuing inspiration for me, both personally and professionally. Trek's depiction of science (both the technobabble and its tendency to depict research as a largely individual effort, which is almost universally false these days) is deficient in many aspects, but in its ability to inspire people to take up research in the first place, it has been very successful in many cases. And that's not even considering the questions regarding morality and the human condition that are addressed to different extents (and sometimes very effectively) throughout each of the series.

But that's just me, and maybe I take television too seriously. So I was curious as to what you guys think - why do you watch Star Trek?
bobzhou525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

Re: Why do you watch Star Trek?

copy/pasted from a Facebook post I made a few months back:

"These are the voyages, that we take every day. To seek out new friendships and new challenges. To boldly go - because anything else just wouldn't be enough. Star Trek has been, and always shall be, the best in all of us. Friendship, Understanding, and the willingness to sacrifice anything in the face of those who would challenge it. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Archer, and the rest may not be real, but that doesn't mean we don't all have a lot to learn from them. Live Long and Prosper, everyone."
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Because I have nothing better to do and it's an easy way to kill an hour.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Because I like it.

I love science fiction for all the possibilities, ideas and visions it offers. And Trek is one of its best examples, I think. I also appreciate the generally positive outlook it has.
Old March 31 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I love Star Trek's optimistic vision of the future, the moral/ethical issues that come up, and the characters.

And, no, Bobzhau525, I don't think you take television too seriously at all.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I watched the original because it was fun, big action heroes who punched the bad guy, saved the day and got the girl (in most cases).
Old March 31 2012, 03:42 PM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mainly because I like Starfleet and their starships. Great stories and characters make it even better.
Old March 31 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Knight Templar
Commodore

I love to see technology advancing and how it relates to solving problems.

and I love to see starships blasting away at other starships.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 04:45 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

It's my mom's fault.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 07:34 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I love the very idea of being in space, space ships, science fiction (the old 40's, 50's, and 60's stuff the best), like to see the hero win the day and get the girl (or boy whatever), the friendships between characters.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 08:03 PM   #11
lau03143
Lieutenant Junior Grade

bobzhou525 wrote: View Post
Having just finished a Trek TV series (DS9), I feel inspired to ask this question of other people: why do (or did) you watch Star Trek?
The same reason I watch any sci-fi, fantasy, comedy or even read a non-fiction book.

Escapisim. To be able to immerse yourself, and for a short time, loose yourself from all the woes of real-life!
Old March 31 2012, 11:13 PM   #12
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I like a fantasy universe to immerse myself in. Star Trek is my universe of choice in part because there is so darn much of it, 700+ episodes, movies and a still alive fandom. If it had been Bab5 spanning decades that could have been my universe of choice but the fandom is not very active and there just isn't as much of it. Star Trek is everywhere so this makes it much more than just a dvd set sitting on a shelf.

Damn it Jim, it's a lifestyle not a hobby!

Now let me just put on my uniform, jury duty calls.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I watch Trek because:

- I like it

- The Federation, while certainly not perfect, is basically decent and benevolent

- Space battles

So as you can see, my tastes are not what you would call sophisticated. Whether or not any particular episode has a heavy-handed message and/or complex moral conundrum is really not my concern. Action helps; humor helps.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I watch TOS occasionally when I have insomnia - I've seen every episode so many times that I can close my eyes and use the soundtrack as soothing noise, because I'm not curious about what's going on, onscreen. It's kind of like music videos in that respect.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 12:40 AM   #15
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Because I like it.

I love science fiction for all the possibilities, ideas and visions it offers. And Trek is one of its best examples, I think. I also appreciate the generally positive outlook it has.
This!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote