Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 28 2012, 03:06 PM   #436
nvek86
Commander

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

44. Justice League: Doom

Villains not simply killing the heroes is a problem in many films, but in this case it's especially bad, because villains wanting to kill the heroes was the whole point.
There were a few nice character moments (which probably only work if you know some backstory from the comics) and good voice work, but in general I found this to be quite bad.
Old March 29 2012, 02:16 AM   #437
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Dune (1984) - free admission
Doctor Strange - DVD
Project X (2012) - free admission
Martha Marcy May Marlene - free admission
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - free admission
Friends with Kids - free admission
The Lincoln Lawyer - Netflix Instant
Gabriel Iglesias: Hot and Fluffy - Netflix Instant
John Carter 2D/3D - free admission/free admission
Silent House - free admission
21 Jump Street - free screenin'
Casa de Mi Padre - free admission
Support Your Local Gunfighter - Netflix Instant
The Grudge: Unrated Extended Director's Cut - DVD
Jeff, Who Lives at Home - free admission
My Bloody Valentine (2009) - DVD
Battle Royale (2000) - Alamo Drafthouse
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocal - discount theater
The Butterfly Effect - DVD
The Butterfly Effect 2 - DVD
Sound of Noise - free admission
The FP - free admission
Harold & Maude - free admission
The Double - Netflix Instant
No Strings Attached - Netflix Instant
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey - Netflix Instant
Louis C.K. Hilarious - Netflix Instant
Gamer - Netflix Instant
Rising Sun - Netflix Instant
Death Race 2000 - Netflix Instant
Beverly Hills Cop III - Netflix Instant
Inferno: The Making of The Expendables - Netflix Instant

Watched the '75 drag race movie with David Carradine & Sylvestor Stallone this mornin'. The kitbashed cars were the highlight of the movie.

Watchin' the third BHC movie now...I've talked a lot of crap about the movie, but haven't seen it all the way through before. And since its on Netflix now, figured I might as well, especially if there really is a fourth on the way in 2013.

- edit, to add -

Watched the hour & a half documentary about Sylvestor Stallone & the makin' of his action movie, The Expendables. Pretty sure its a bonus feature on a disc somewhere, but first time I've seen it.

Last edited by od0_ital; March 29 2012 at 06:51 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:18 AM   #438
CaptainCanada
Admiral

37. Saturday Night Fever (A-)

My mother admitted to having seen this multiple times on its initial release, though she didn't remember any of the coarse parts. Which is perhaps in keeping with the general popcultural memory, which is mostly about John Travolta dancing to the Bee Gees. But this is actually a pretty gritty movie, with our young main characters being casually sexist and racist at points, and multiple instances of attempted (or successful) date rape. Makes most of the films aimed at the college crowd these days look tame by comparison. Great soundtrack, great performance by Travolta (the best of his that I've seen, really).

Cinema: 10
Home Video: 22(+1)
Computer: 5

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:22 AM   #439
Harvey
Admiral

Isn't that memory of the movie partially the result of a far tamer, PG-version that was released at some point? Or am I imagining having seen that in video stores in the early 90s?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:50 AM   #440
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Yes, there was one of those, so that might be part of it (certainly, that's a version my mother is more likely to have seen; she doesn't like anything remotely upsetting).

- Homer Simpson
Old March 30 2012, 02:58 AM   #441
CaptainCanada
Admiral

38. The Tree of Life (A-)

On the same random visit to FutureShop that led to me buying Saturday Night Fever, they had the Blu-ray/DVD combo of The Tree of Life for $9.99. I wasn't planning to buy it, but at that price, why not?

I rated this a B+ last time, saying that there was a much better, smaller film buried in there. A lot of my complaints still stand (the attempts to tie this all in to the origins of the universe and all the Sean Penn stuff just don't feel like they truly belong), but I decided the underlying strength of the core of the film warranted an A-.

Cinema: 10
Home Video: 23 (+1)
Computer: 5

- Homer Simpson
Old March 30 2012, 01:16 PM   #442
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

DVD

8. Tron: Legacy
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 01:24 PM   #443
od0_ital
Admiral

Doctor Strange - DVD
The FP - free admission
Gamer - Netflix Instant
Street Kings - DVD

First new movie of the day!

A dirty cop in Los Angeles drama with a great cast, except Keanu. No matter what is happenin' to this guy, his voice never changes. Everyone else, includin' Hugh Laurie, Chris Evans, Common, Forest Whitaker, Cedric the Entertainer, Jay Mohr, and so on, bring a reality to their characters...and there's this dead weight at the center of it all, draggin' 'em down.

Ah, well...

I've got the day off, and today is new release day! WOO!!!
Old March 30 2012, 06:25 PM   #444
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

83. Like Crazy: (✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A couple's relationship is strained when the girl, who's been studying on a student visa, finds that she can't get beck into the U.S. Anotn Yelchin and Felicity Jones star. I got this movie after seeing The Hunger Games because I wanted to see something else with Jennifer Lawrence in it, but her part was small. I did get to discover Felicity Jones though. Anyway, good movie. It's raw and real.

84. Newlyweds: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - Ed Burns' docudrama about married life. Realistic tone, good watch that gets better as it progresses.

85. Dear John: (✩✩✩) - TV - A military man is placed overseas and this puts a strain on his relationship with a girl he met. Stars Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried.

86. Carriers: (✩✩½) - TV - Post apocalyptic movie where four 20-somethings are on the road after the population has been wiped out by a plague. Not the best, but it's watchable. Chis Pine really shines though. Apparently this one was shot in 2006 but sat on the shelf for a few years.

87. The Karate Kid: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Despite all the talk of remakes, Jaden Smith or nepotism, I found this movie to be quite good. It's very well shot and epic in scale. It's a good looking movie, and Jackie Chan was spectacular as Mr. Han, the "Mr. Miyagi" equivalent. My only real gripe is the title. Jaden Smith's character is learning kung fu, not karate. I can understand them wanting to capitalize on a popular movie's title though, so I can sort of let it go, but it's still a stretch.

88. Vertical Limit: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Chris O'Donnell is on a quest to rescue his sister and a billionaire who are trapped in a crevice on K2. Not a great movie, but it has some good tension.

89. Killers: (✩✩½) - DVD - A woman (Katherine Heigl) meets a guy (Ashotn Kutcher) and they get married. Then one day, people show up trying to kill her husband and he has to confess that he used to be an assassin for the government. Not a good movie or romantic comedy, but I don't care. I only got it to see Katherine Heigl.

90. Cyberbully: (✩✩½) - On Demand - Girl is bullied by false rumors online and is almost driven to suicide as a result. Typical TV movie fare, but it holds your attention.

91. The Change-Up: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - Ryan Reynolds, a womanizer and Jason Bateman, an overworked family man make a wish over a fountain and end up switching bodies. Hilarity ensues. It was enjoyable, but it's nothing to write home about. Olivia Wilde was probably at her hottest in this one though. She played a very attractive and sexual character.

92. 50/50: (✩✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A 27 year old guy discovers he has cancer and this movie takes us through his struggle with poignance and humor. It's one of the best and deepest comedies I've ever seen. Seth Rogen does his usual shtick, but I like it. Lots of recognizable american and canadian actors are involved as well. Great movie. Check it out.

Theatre: 3
DVD/Blu-Ray: 32
TV: 44
On Demand: 12
Internet: 1
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 07:38 PM   #445
Harvey
Admiral

46. Attenberg (B)

Attenberg: This Greek film from 2010 is just now making it to the United States. It's only the second feature film to be written and directed by Athina Rachel Tsangari, but you almost wouldn't know it. Outside of some issues of pacing (I could cut out 5 minutes without removing any content) it's a very assured work, with a camera that is at times fluid and at other times content to remain perfectly still, in both cases often featuring very long takes. Where the film is a little clumsy, I think, is in the writing. It's essentially about two things: Marina's sexual awakening and her relationship with her dying father. Only the through-line with her father makes it to the end of the film; Marina's early experiences with sex (which seem to be the main story early on) fade more and more into the background as the film goes on, leaving a bit of a disjointed feel. No matter, though. The films is at times very funny, and cute, and the three main performances (Marina is played by a first time actress) are all terrific.

Theatres: 17 +1
Home Video: 27
Computer: 2

Old March 30 2012, 07:45 PM   #446
Harvey
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
88. Vertical Limit: (✩✩✩) - DVD - Chris O'Donnell is on a quest to rescue his sister and a billionaire who are trapped in a crevice on K2. Not a great movie, but it has some good tension.
And Dr. Bashir is in it! (Pretty mediocre movie, though)

92. 50/50: (✩✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A 27 year old guy discovers he has cancer and this movie takes us through his struggle with poignance and humor. It's one of the best and deepest comedies I've ever seen. Seth Rogen does his usual shtick, but I like it. Lots of recognizable american and canadian actors are involved as well. Great movie. Check it out.
I still haven't seen that, but I would like to. It's worth point out that Seth Rogen is doing his usual shtick because he's playing a character based on himself (Will Reiser, the writer, had cancer and Rogen was his friend through it all).

Old March 30 2012, 08:10 PM   #447
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I saw that a few months ago. Very good movie; my father passed away from cancer early last year, so there was a bit of a personal connection to the subject.

- Homer Simpson
Old March 30 2012, 09:04 PM   #448
nvek86
Commander

45. The Hunger Games

It's a very well done adaption of the book. They let go of the first person narration of the book (which would have resulted in a lot of voice over), but replaced them with things like the two commentators during the Games, which fit great. The casting (and acting) was very good, as was the desing of the world (maybe District 13 didn't seem as poor as it was in the book, but that's always going to happen in films where you can't have all your actors and extras starve for several weeks just to look the part).
If I had one complain, I'd be the camera work: I liked the shaky-cam during the fight scenes, but in some quieter moments it would have been nice not to shake and move the camera the whole time and insert a cut every second.
Old March 31 2012, 07:59 AM   #449
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Was kinder lazy - as I forgot about this thread.

7. Star Wars - The Phantom Menace 3D
8. The Town (2011) - 4.25/5
9. The Green Hornet (2011) - 1.5/5 [/spoiler]
10. The Town (2010) - 3.5/5
11. The Fighter - 4/5
12. The Adjustment Bureau - 3/5 (found it confusing)
13. Your Highness - 0/5

Worst movie ever. Okay worst movie I have seen so far this year. That 90 minutes of crap I'll never get back.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 01:29 PM   #450
od0_ital
Admiral

Doctor Strange - DVD
The FP - free admission
Gamer - Netflix Instant
Street Kings - DVD
Kiki's Delivery Service - free admission

The Alamo Drafthouse has brought back the Studio Ghibli retrospective with another collection of 35mm prints!

This week's release is KDS, which was a cute movie about a witch havin' to set out on her own in a new town with just her mother's broom, her father's radio & her black cat Jiji.

It was a cute movie, glad I went to see it.

Tried to get into Mirror Mirror last night, but didn't have any luck, maybe next time...

Will be goin' to see Wrath of the Titans 3D tomorrow night & have a plan to see Hunger Games on Wednesday.