IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2012, 03:34 PM   #91
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

They've shown it once before IIRC, it's a. very interesting way to make a film.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 07:26 PM   #92
Harvey
Admiral

The whole thing is available all over the place online, though I suppose not very legally. I just bought the Criterion Blu-Ray that combines La Jetée with another Marker film, San Soleil.

I wonder which version they'll show -- the English language or French language film? Marker supervised both, IIRC.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 09:00 PM   #93
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

I have a subtitled copy myself...
Old February 29 2012, 06:50 AM   #94
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
The whole thing is available all over the place online, though I suppose not very legally. I just bought the Criterion Blu-Ray that combines La Jetée with another Marker film, San Soleil.

I wonder which version they'll show -- the English language or French language film? Marker supervised both, IIRC.
As an aside, TCM is showing Sans Soleil before La Jetee.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 11:38 PM   #95
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I've had too many distractions lately to keep an eye on TCM and have suffered the consequences; I missed Die, Monster, Die, The Illustrated Man and Horror Express-- and probably others. So I'm going to try to keep up from now on-- until blindsided by other distractions.

So tomorrow morning at 5:15am, we have The Thing From Another World, Saturday morning at 3:45am we have Heavy Metal and then Attack of the 50-Foot Woman at 7:45. That's it through the weekend. I'll look further ahead later on.
Old March 30 2012, 12:09 AM   #96
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I've had too many distractions lately to keep an eye on TCM and have suffered the consequences; I missed Die, Monster, Die, The Illustrated Man and Horror Express-- and probably others. So I'm going to try to keep up from now on-- until blindsided by other distractions.

So tomorrow morning at 5:15am, we have The Thing From Another World, Saturday morning at 3:45am we have Heavy Metal and then Attack of the 50-Foot Woman at 7:45. That's it through the weekend. I'll look further ahead later on.

Horror Express was actually pretty fun, although I was horrified that they misspelled Christopher Lee's name in the opening credits. And he was the star of the film!

"Cristopher Lee," really?
Old March 30 2012, 09:25 AM   #97
RJDementia13

Reminds me of Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis On Infinite Earths, where the spelling of one chapter title was wrong-- I think it was "Froty Three." Of course, I think they forgot to send that book to the editor. Literally every page had typos.

I caught the last five minutes or so of Horror Express and it looked pretty good. I was really bummed that I missed it.
Old March 30 2012, 04:39 PM   #98
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Reminds me of Marv Wolfman's novelization of Crisis On Infinite Earths, where the spelling of one chapter title was wrong-- I think it was "Froty Three." Of course, I think they forgot to send that book to the editor. Literally every page had typos.

I caught the last five minutes or so of Horror Express and it looked pretty good. I was really bummed that I missed it.

Great moment in typos: "Bram Stroker's Dracula."

Yes, that appeared on a book cover once.
Old March 30 2012, 11:28 PM   #99
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

One of my all-time favorite typos, though not genre, was the back of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat album listing "On the Bornder"... and the CD release just copied that for a whole new generation!
Old March 30 2012, 11:36 PM   #100
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Don't get me started about "Rouge Queen" by L. Sprague de Camp. Or that restaurant menu that listed "Sweat and Sour Pork."

Sometimes I think the world needs a good copyeditor . . . .
Old March 31 2012, 10:07 AM   #101
RJDementia13

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Maybe it was one of those "adult" versions.

Going through the first weekend in April, we have on Saturday the 7th, The Gamma People on at 2:15am and Wild, Wild Planet at 3:45am, then The Invisible Man at 9:15am (nothing on Sunday).
Old March 31 2012, 02:28 PM   #102
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Yes, that appeared on a book cover once.
Eh, half the people pronounce it that way, anyways

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 12:56 AM   #103
Christopher
Writer

I recorded Heavy Metal overnight and just watched it. It's the first time I've ever seen that film, though I've read one or two scathing deconstructions of it online, so I had an idea what to expect. Mostly it deserved the scathing; the majority of it is uneven and self-indulgent, and the frame story/unifying thread of the Loc-Nar is completely incoherent.

However, the Moebius-inspired Taarna segment was very impressive, much better than the rest (at least until the ending). Good animation and designs, and great music by Elmer Bernstein.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 01:17 AM   #104
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It helps to see Heavy Metal in a theater at midnight with the volume cranked to 12 with the smell of marijuana (or Plutonium Nyborg) in the air. At least, that's how I first saw it.

I wish they hadn't botched up Heavy Metal 2000 so badly because I'd love to see a follow-up in the same vain. I know there was some effort to do so but I think it got bogged down in development hell.

Looking at The Fifth Element, I'm pretty sure Luc Besson must have been inspired by it.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 10:06 AM   #105
RJDementia13

I never cared for Heavy Metal the magazine, and the movie didn't impress me a whole lot either.

I've got to pay more attention to the movie names on the TCM schedule, rather than just the genre icons. Tarzan the Fearless from 1933 with Buster Crabbe was on yesterday, and I only caught the last fifteen minutes or so.