Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 29 2012, 07:32 PM   #676
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Rosario Dawson's a Trekkie, so I support anything she does. I'm also glad to see A&E contemplating a scripted drama on an interesting (if a tad overdone, currently) topic. I can't think of any scripted dramas they do right now. They've fallen entirely off my radar.

That astrophysicist-vs-antichrist pilot is now called Dark Horse, according to thefutoncritic's ABC pilot guide.

There are more complete summaries of ABC's pilots. 666 Park Avenue sounds fun - Desperate Housewives-meets-Rosemary's Baby. I'm kind of eh about The Last Resort - if they're getting weird orders from the White House, then the real story is not happening on some remote tropical island, is it? Dark Horse, Gotham and Zero Hour sound interchangeable. ABC only needs one of the three. (Dark Horse sounds the most intriguing to me.)

Meanwhile, over in comedy-land, the "Melrose Space" show has a title - Down to Earth - where they're introducing a trope beloved of fanfic writers: male pregnancy.

I'm looking forward to seeing NBC's list which may shed more light on the pilot formerly known as Revolution.

The CW grows up?

Sounds like The Selection is a safe bet to go to series and we probably should be happy if Cult doesn't. (Damn, I was looking forward to Alaric vs T-Bag.

More details about the ABC pilots.

Just as CW is moving into the older demographics, ABC seems to be poaching on FOX's male demographic with more action-centered fare.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 29 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 04:50 AM   #677
JD
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Rosario Dawson's a Trekkie, so I support anything she does. I'm also glad to see A&E contemplating a scripted drama on an interesting (if a tad overdone, currently) topic. I can't think of any scripted dramas they do right now. They've fallen entirely off my radar.
A&E currently has two scripted original series, The Glades (love it), and Breakout Kings (also love it).
Old March 30 2012, 08:14 PM   #678
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I watched a bit of Breakout Kings because of the Prison Break connection, but it didn't grab me.

If anyone's curious where next fall's pilots are being shot, here's a list.
Old March 31 2012, 09:55 AM   #679
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Gilded Lilies (or Lilys, if you believe some sites) is shooting in Boston, but is actually set in New York. It's not genre, but it's interesting for two things: It's a period piece set in 1895 and John Barrowman is in it.

Last edited by RJDonner&Blitzen; April 1 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Well, I left out a word.
RJDonner&Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2012, 07:47 PM   #680
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It is "Lilys" because the family name is Lily.

I'm convinced the so-called "ladies man" Barrowman is playing is going to turn out to be gay.
Old March 31 2012, 09:23 PM   #681
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Snow White's bizarre domination of the universe continues.

• The Hunters – two-hour back-door pilot, The Hunters is the story of a secret society with a mission to find the broken shards of the magic mirror Snow White shattered hundreds of years ago. It’s a race against time as the mirror’s pieces, now hidden across the world, have the potential to be harnessed for great evil.
Old March 31 2012, 09:35 PM   #682
Christopher
Writer

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the overexposedest one of all?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2012, 10:02 AM   #683
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Star Trek: Snow White: In the 23rd Century, seven warriors from the planet of the golden midgets (as seen in "Journey To Babel"), discover an ancient Earth probe containing the body of a young albino woman in suspended animation. Their analysis of the probe's data banks indicate that the only man who can revive her is still alive-- and is living the life of a corrupt and decadent prince in the heart of the Orion Empire. They immediately set out on a dark and gritty quest that will bring them to the very edgy edge of the galaxy-- for unless this snow white corpsicle is revived, the universe itself will perish! And there's no time to lose! But plenty of time for balls-to-the-wall action! Rated M for Mature!

It is "Lilys" because the family name is Lily.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old April 3 2012, 10:27 PM   #684
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

HuffPo review of NBC pilots.

NBC is the most interesting network because its ongoing failure opens up possibilities. Plus, its few successes this year (Grimm and Smash) were definitely not safe choices compared with the cop-and-lawyer-show approach, which didn't work for them.) I find NBC the most fascinating network to follow every year, and it looks like this year is no exception.

I've been looking forward to The Frontier as a straight-ahead Western. The saga of people trying to survive the arduous overland journey should be drama enough, especially if the characters are well chosen. It sounds like it could have a supernatural element - as long as it's not heavy handed, it could work.

The reviewer doesn't give any predictions for pickups, but says "their slate this year is significantly stronger than last year's candidates were." That's a relief! No more Playboy Clubs, please.
Old April 4 2012, 12:26 AM   #685
Christopher
Writer

Beautiful People might have potential, although the question of AI rights has been addressed before in SF. Do No Harm, with the idea of the "Jekyll" and "Hyde" personas making a deal with one another to coexist, reminds me of Steven Moffat's Jekyll miniseries, but it'll have a hard time equaling it.

I'm glad they're no longer describing the unnamed Bad Robot pilot as being set in a world where "all forms of energy" have ceased to exist (since that would mean the entire universe vanished), but "where electricity no longer exists" is equally silly, since it's electrostatic forces that hold matter together, not to mention that neurons function electrochemically. There must be less stupid ways to justify a post-apocalyptic world without modern technology.

And wait, they're doing a sitcom with Bill Pullman as the President of the US? Is it set in the aftermath of a global alien invasion?

I'm actually not displeased to hear that Awake is getting "soft" numbers and may not get renewed. It had a brilliant pilot, but the subsequent series has squandered much of its potential and isn't nearly as satisfying.

Old April 4 2012, 12:31 AM   #686
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I like the plot twist in the most recent episode of Awake that implies

The bit about electricity not existing could mean one of two things: the electrical grid has failed, or any attempt to generate electricity for power will fail for some unknown reason, even though electromagnetism as a physical force still exists just fine.

It would be nice to get some clarity on that issue, because it's a huge difference - is this an end-of-the-world survival scenario after the breakdown of society, or is this a hand-waving conspiracy type show, where the conspirators have sinister abilities beyond human ken?

"AI rights" hasn't been done to death on TV (yet). I'm happy for NBC to take a crack at it. Too many of the sci fi shows are the hand-waving mystery type, where it's impossible to tell how they'll turn out but the track record ain't good...
Old April 4 2012, 01:21 AM   #687
Christopher
Writer

I like the plot twist in the most recent episode of Awake that implies
I don't see that. Just about every episode has shown Michael getting random clues in one reality that connected to a case in the other; it's one of the core conceits of the show. And if anything,

Although, of course, this is not the Awake thread, so we don't want to get too deeply into this here.

Old April 4 2012, 03:38 AM   #688
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

One thing's for sure, the show will be cancelled before they settle the issue. Maybe the producers will tell us what the plan was afterwards.
Old April 4 2012, 03:42 AM   #689
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I found this by accident.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/

It's giving me a ladyboner.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 03:44 AM   #690
Disruptor
Commodore

Snow White's bizarre domination of the universe continues.

• The Hunters – two-hour back-door pilot, The Hunters is the story of a secret society with a mission to find the broken shards of the magic mirror Snow White shattered hundreds of years ago. It’s a race against time as the mirror’s pieces, now hidden across the world, have the potential to be harnessed for great evil.
Will it have lots of back-door action, too?

Either way it sounds shardly worth watching.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote