RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,684
Members: 24,206
Currently online: 879
Newest member: Trekker_Tokyo

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 29 2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

scnj wrote: View Post
I'd love if they release the whole thing in one trade, but knowing Marvel, it'll be three overpriced volumes.
Possibly so, however, waiting on the trade also allows one to know if the "event" is a true event with repercussions that may last awhile vs there being a big ole reset button like with Fear Itself. Where there really isn't anything of consequence.
Save oneself the money then and not get the trade.

I've been reading too long and the industry has built this jadedness into it's readership base. I'm past just blindly buying it cause they say it's "an important event".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 04:37 AM   #17
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

"Avengers Vs X-Men" is something very different than say "Siege" or "Fear Its Self" in the sense that like I said in my first post, this is the culmination of events for both groups and in the Marvel Universe as a whole for the last ten years or so. Pretty much since Bendis took over Avengers and did the Avengers Disassembled story line. I understand waiting for the trade (which will most likely be in released in Jan 2013, I think the final issue of this is in November or something) and normally I would do the same, but this is something that I've looked forward to for quite some time since I've been following both franchises.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

#0 was terrible. Too much Bendisspeak and Cho was undoubtedly the wrong artist to start off with. He overplays the musclature of the character that it borders on parody.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:06 AM   #19
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

eh, for a #0 i thought it was pretty decent. i'm not a fan of Bendis on Avengers but his part of AvX #0 and Avengers #24.1 were enjoyable IMO. i'm just happy to see the original Vision back. Wanda too.
Old March 29 2012, 05:07 AM   #20
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I've not followed the X-Men verse for awhile I guess, and the last I actively read was Whedon's run (I know, forever ago right?!), but...

Cyclops following Magneto's path and Wolverine upholding Xavier's ideals? Sounds like bullshit to me.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:11 AM   #21
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's been pretty awesome actually...especially Wolverine and the X-Men. Schism was really well written, although somewhat contrived and forced IMO given where Utopia was just before this in terms of unity. Some fans have wondered due to this event how long the schism will last?

Old March 29 2012, 05:12 AM   #22
Skywalker
Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Cyclops following Magneto's path and Wolverine upholding Xavier's ideals? Sounds like bullshit to me.
Agreed. Sounds more like a lame plan to keep Wolverine front and center as the main hero of the X-Men world.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:14 AM   #23
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I've not followed the X-Men verse for awhile I guess, and the last I actively read was Whedon's run (I know, forever ago right?!), but...

Cyclops going Magneto's way is pretty much semi-justified from his pov since he has to resort to these tactics to keep the few mutants that are now around from extinction. Of course from a neutral perspective none of that justifies the tortures, assassinations ,death squads and mutilation of children.

But the rest of the stuff such as Wolverine going Xavier's way is bullshit. But then Jason Aaron's grasp is Wolverine is very tenuous.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Makes me glad I stopped reading X-Men.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:25 AM   #25
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the direction Cyclops has taken the past few years hasn't bothered me. the drama of Schism felt very forced. suddenly Wolverine is upset about putting kids in danger? yeah. sure. and having students call him Professor Logan just stubs my toe.
Old March 29 2012, 05:25 AM   #26
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

That's a very simplistic way of explaining things. Cyclops is in a unique and precarious postion. He has to think like the leader and protector of a dying species, not just the leader of a highly-trained team of super-heroes. While at the same time, he is sending a clear message to the rest of the world that the X-Men are NOT to be fucked with. And yes, some of his decisions of late have been iffy, but his primary goal has been still to save the world for mutants, not conquer it for mutants as Magneto would have tried.

However, there was a funny scene in Uncanny #1 in which Storm (who would never go along with Cyclops if he were truly going down Magneto's path) in which she asks every member of Scott's Extinction Team (Cyclops, Storm, Emma, Namor, Magneto, Colossus, Magik and Hope) to raise their hand if they have never had a period of their career that could be defined as primarily "Super-Villain", and when Scott raises his hand, Storm asks him if he's sure about that.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 29 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 05:31 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ That was a great scene from that issue Turtletrekker well said about Scott as well, couldn't have done better myself. Despite my problems with the book and the dour tone, I have enjoyed Scott's evolution as a character. I just think right now he is becoming blinded and overwhelmed by his responsibilities. He has surrounded himself with "yes" people now...even Emma hasn't really questioned a decision from him in a while. This set's a dangerous precedent for me. Logan was one of the few who were willing to say "no" to Scott IMO.

Old March 29 2012, 07:43 AM   #28
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

timothy wrote: View Post
Okay with scarlet witch coming back is this a possible reset to everything that happened since HOUSE of M?
Her return happened in Avengers:The Children's Crusade, Allan Heinberg's end to his strange, little throwback of a team, the Young Avengers, and in that series there were resets, and retcons aplenty. But since, no writer at Marvel keeps up with what happens in other books who knows if any of it counts.

As for AvX, unless, I hear that the 'heroes' were arrested, fairly tried and justly executed, I dont think I will be returning to Marvel anytime soon.
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 08:28 AM   #29
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ That was a great scene from that issue Turtletrekker well said about Scott as well, couldn't have done better myself. Despite my problems with the book and the dour tone, I have enjoyed Scott's evolution as a character. I just think right now he is becoming blinded and overwhelmed by his responsibilities. He has surrounded himself with "yes" people now...even Emma hasn't really questioned a decision from him in a while. This set's a dangerous precedent for me. Logan was one of the few who were willing to say "no" to Scott IMO.
Equally well said. It's true that Scott has developed a bit of tunnel vision regarding certain things. And it's not lost on me that even as I defend Scott from accusations of villainy and following Magneto's path, that in the previews for AvX #1 we see Magneto himself making the comparison. Perhaps it will be turn out to be true in Scott's case, what they say about good intentions.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 29 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 08:45 AM   #30
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Does anyone out there have have AvX #1 yet? If so, please spoiler code any early reviews.