Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Marvel Comics' big event for 2012, Avengers Vs. X-Men, begins today with Avengers Vs. X-Men #0, from Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, and Frank Cho.

• The return of the Scarlet Witch! What does this mean for the "Mutant Messiah" Hope?
  • Three of the hottest names in comics kick off the biggest event in Marvel history!
  • And did we mention Frank Cho on art?!
Anyone going to follow this?

I'm not a Marvel guy, to be honest, but I received issue #0 in my shipment today because I was curious.

It's a book of two halves. The first half, by Bendis and Cho, focuses on the Scarlet Witch. The second half, by Aaron and Cho, focuses on Hope Summers, the Mutant Messiah.

As someone who last picked up an Avengers book with Avengers/JLA #4, the first half of the book was incomprehensible.

I'm on slightly better footing for the second half, because I'm a little more aware of what's been happening in the X-Men's world. The mutant population is down to about 200, Scott Summers has taken one group of mutants out to San Francisco where they have a refuge, Wolverine has taken another group of mutants to New York where they're trying to uphold Professor X's ideals. (Basically, Schism split the X-Men in two, with Scott taking after Magneto and Wolverine taking after Xavier.)

So, is issue #0 any good?

I felt unsatisfied after reading it, to be honest. Again, not being a Marvel reader is probably going to be a big part of that, because I had no emotional connection to any of the characters or their situations. Aaron does a better job in the second half of making his story accessible to the non-X-Men reader, while Bendis' story in the first half assumes that the non-Avengers reader knows the backstory.

Unless there's some deeper meaning to Bendis' story here and it makes sense around AVX #9, I think AVX #1 next week will make a better entry point for the casual reader into the event than AVX #0.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

will there be a TV show on this?
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I was going to start a thread but someone pointed out about a third thread with Avengers in the title might confuse people so didn't do it, thinking the Marvel catch all thread would do, but yes very much looking forward to this as mentioned in the Marvel thread. On my way to the comic shop in a bit to pick up issue zero!

@Allyn, if you've not followed Avengers or X-Men in the last ten years or so a lot of this is going to go over your head frankly! It is the culmination of a lot of story lines and issues that have transpired over that period of time.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

i'd advise reading Avengers #24.1 before Avengers VS X-Men #0.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Eh. I prefer to imagine the X-Men Universe as being separate from the rest of the main Marvel Universe (i.e. the Avengers, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four). So a crossover like this doesn't really interest me.

Plus I'm not really digging what's currently going on with the X-Men anyway.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
will there be a TV show on this?

No. This is a comic book event.
Old March 28 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Blip
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Eh. I prefer to imagine the X-Men Universe as being separate from the rest of the main Marvel Universe (i.e. the Avengers, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four). So a crossover like this doesn't really interest me.

Plus I'm not really digging what's currently going on with the X-Men anyway.
I've always felt this way also. Though for my part it's probably a little down to the "realism" aspect that Singer tried to instill in his movies, versus the more fantastical elements present in Thor and the likes.

(yes, I know we're discussing the comic universe here, so sue me for being re-introduced to X-Men via the movies :P )
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm trade waiting on this.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 11:58 PM   #9
scnj
Captain

I'd love if they release the whole thing in one trade, but knowing Marvel, it'll be three overpriced volumes.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

scnj wrote: View Post
I'd love if they release the whole thing in one trade, but knowing Marvel, it'll be three overpriced volumes.
Possibly, though I think they may do two. Marvel's solicitation for Avengers Vs. X-Men #5 calls it "fiery conclusion of Act One," so it would make sense to do issues 0-5 (six issues) in one trade, then issues 6-12 in the next.

Marvel will definitely do Premiere Hardcovers first, though, and then trades four months later, and then possibly an omnibus hardcover eighteen months after that, because that's the way Marvel rolls.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 12:59 AM   #11
Mr Light
Admiral

Well, nothing really happened in #0... it was basically an introduction to the characters for someone unfamiliar with them.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I was going to start a thread but someone pointed out about a third thread with Avengers in the title might confuse people so didn't do it, thinking the Marvel catch all thread would do, but yes very much looking forward to this as mentioned in the Marvel thread. On my way to the comic shop in a bit to pick up issue zero!
Actually, I said that another active thread with "Avengers" in the title would raise the amount to FOUR threads at once.

There is this thread, the movie thread, the A:EMH season two thread, and the Heroic Age/Avengers thread.

Maybe it's time for the "Heroic Age" thread to get that thread title change that we've talked about (my suggestion was "Marvel on-going discussion- forerly 'Heroic Age'") and then merge this thread with that one?
Old March 29 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm trade waiting on this.
I'll second that.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Actually, I said that another active thread with "Avengers" in the title would raise the amount to FOUR threads at once.

There is this thread, the movie thread, the A:EMH season two thread, and the Heroic Age/Avengers thread.

Maybe it's time for the "Heroic Age" thread to get that thread title change that we've talked about (my suggestion was "Marvel on-going discussion- forerly 'Heroic Age'") and then merge this thread with that one?
This wouldn't be a problem if we had a Comics forum...
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 02:37 AM   #15
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Okay with scarlet witch coming back is this a possible reset to everything that happened since HOUSE of M?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote