New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 27 2012, 05:07 AM   #1
PJNKX
Cadet

Casting Confusion

New to Star Trek. Started the original series this month and am almost finished with the second season. To the best of my knowledge, i am not for sure if this question is answered in the series or it has to do with the actors personally or perfessionally. Ive noticed that certain episodes cast different people for Sulu and Chekhov but have not found a definate pattern in their replacements, meaning their not the same replacements every time. Uhura and Scotty are the only co-stars ive seen to be in every episode. Long question short, why is this?
PJNKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Casting Confusion

The character of Chekov wasn't around for the first season so various actors sat in the navigator's seat in that season, a few for more than one episode. Other actors/characters also filled the helm station when George Takei wasn't available or needed. Uhura/Nichelle Nichols was absent a few times as well. All were day players and so they didn't really long term contracts and worked on a day to day basis.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 05:40 AM   #3
PJNKX
Cadet

I guess im just a stickler for consistency. I would have perferred, at least considering season 2, to see the familiar faces in all the episodes. A crew is a crew after all. You dont see Spock or Bones taking any breaks.

Last edited by PJNKX; March 27 2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: spelling
PJNKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

But there are other doctors on the ship, like M'benga and Chekov fills in for Spock at the science station. Of course Nimoy and Kelley were regulars and therefore written into every episode.

Even in the real military the soldiers and sailors aren't at their stations 24/7. They get off times and might work various shifts.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

First, they're not casting different people, they're having other characters fill their posts. Second, Doohan, Takei, et al were not "co-stars", despite what they might have said later. Finally, sometimes minor characters are replaced here and there because of illness, scheduling problems, etc. It's well-documented, for example, that a shooting overrun on The Green Berets film prevented Takei from returning to Trek as planned, and thus Sulu was replaced by Chekov during that time.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

PJNKX wrote: View Post
New to Star Trek. Started the original series this month and am almost finished with the second season. To the best of my knowledge, i am not for sure if this question is answered in the series or it has to do with the actors personally or perfessionally. Ive noticed that certain episodes cast different people for Sulu and Chekhov but have not found a definate pattern in their replacements, meaning their not the same replacements every time. Uhura and Scotty are the only co-stars ive seen to be in every episode. Long question short, why is this?
You can find the list of episodes that each of the major characters *doesn't* appear in at this web pabe:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Main...on-appearances

I think having different people at these stations from time to time makes sense. When I go to the grocery store, it's not always the same cashier every single day, day or night, working at the same cash register 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
PJNKX wrote: View Post
You can find the list of episodes that each of the major characters *doesn't* appear in at this web pabe:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Main...on-appearances

I think having different people at these stations from time to time makes sense. When I go to the grocery store, it's not always the same cashier every single day, day or night, working at the same cash register 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Yea, it's good to see the familiar faces most of the time, but, it's nice to see proof that the crew is bigger than just the familiar faces, and it would be totally unrealistic to always see them, never having time off for sleep, eating, recreation, etc.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The character of Chekov wasn't around for the first season so various actors sat in the navigator's seat in that season, a few for more than one episode. Other actors/characters also filled the helm station when George Takei wasn't available or needed. Uhura/Nichelle Nichols was absent a few times as well. All were day players and so they didn't really long term contracts and worked on a day to day basis.
Nichelle Nichols was a day player. Doohan, Takei, Koenig, and (for the first 13) Grace Lee Whitney all had long-term contracts -- just not for as much money, episodes, and days (and for residuals at scale, for the most part) as Shatner and Nimoy had.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 11:44 PM   #9
PvtKtara
Fleet Captain

The only one under contract was Grace Lee Whitney, as a regular (a contract which was promptly nullified when she had her...problems). The rest were day players. Walter Koenig has said in interviews that he was never under contract.
Old March 29 2012, 02:31 AM   #10
bbailey861
Admiral

Strange, I was under the impression that GLW was the victim and removed from the series following some 'unpleasantness' caused by 'suits'. Considering it was the '60s, I have no reason to believe what she says isn't true.
That being said, I also found it gratifying to see various actors move in and out of some of the duty chairs. While it is accurate that there would only be one Captain, First Officer, Chief Medical Officer, and Chief Engineer, the remaining positions would have several candidates filling the chairs since the ship runs 24/7. Besides, it also made financial sense for the network to work things out that way.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 03:43 AM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

PvtKtara wrote: View Post
The only one under contract was Grace Lee Whitney, as a regular (a contract which was promptly nullified when she had her...problems). The rest were day players. Walter Koenig has said in interviews that he was never under contract.
Nope.

Koenig was hired as a day player, but according to his autobiography, he was upgraded to a contract player at the beginning of the third season for 7 out of every 13 episodes (Warped Factors, pg. 194).

I've seen the documentation from the first season in the Roddenberry archives at UCLA which shows that the others were contracted as well (except for Nichols), at least for the first 13 episodes of the series. Here's, in part, what it says ("First Production Year 1966-1967," dated May 31, 1966):

William Shatner -- Guarantee: 13 out of 13 including Pilot
Leonard Nimoy -- Guarantee: 13 out of 13 including Pilot
DeForest Kelley -- Guarantee: 7 out of 13 including Pilot
Grace Lee Whitney -- Guarantee: 7 out of 13 including Pilot
George Takei -- Guarantee: 7 out of 13 including Pilot
James Doohan -- Guarantee: 5 out of 13
That information and more is reprinted in David Alexander's biography of Roddenberry. The book is mostly awful, but it provides useful tidbits like this.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote