New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 25 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
STAR TREK CONTINUES — NEW FAN FILM WEB SERIES

Looks like there's another fan web series in the works based on the original STAR TREK from the folks at Farragut Films called STAR TREK CONTINUES.

They just announced their cast this weekend. Take a look. Looks like some heavy hitters with anime English-dub voice actors Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn as Kirk and Spock respectively. There's also James Doohan's son, Chris, playing Scotty as well as Grant Imahara from Mythbusters as Sulu.

Looks like an interesting cast. Hopefully, they'll be telling interesting and dynamic stories that not only harken back to TOS, but also challenge our preconceived notions of the STAR TREK format, the STAR TREK formula.
Old March 26 2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK CONTINUES — NEW FAN FILM WEB SERIES

Interesting!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 04:10 AM   #3
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

It'll be good to see more Trek - but, man, a 54 year old playing the TOS 34 year old Kirk? That's kinda pushing it...
Old March 26 2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

andriech wrote: View Post
It'll be good to see more Trek - but, man, a 54 year old playing the TOS 34 year old Kirk? That's kinda pushing it...
SULU: I knew [s]he would.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 05:08 AM   #5
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Kelso wrote: View Post
Interesting!
While the cast is interesting, I'm more interested in seeing who'll be contributing scripts and who'll be overseeing their creation. As I stated in this post in the Fan Film Writer's Primer, a good Story Editor can make all the difference in the world.

The key will be in the performance. After all, audiences are willing to believe a 40-something year old James Cawley as Kirk and were willing to believe Shatner, who was pushing 40 during TOS, as the 34-year-old starship commander.

I'm more interested in how the role is played by any actor, even Shatner, than how old that actor is. Moreover, I'm more interested in an actor who isn't Shatner and playing Kirk that he doesn't merely imitate Shatner, much like Chris Pine's excellent approach to the character in ST 09.

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; March 26 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Kelso
Vice Admiral

That guy looks to be holding up pretty well. I think it'll be fine.

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Interesting!
While the cast is interesting, I'm more interested in seeing who'll be contributing scripts and who'll be overseeing their creation. As I stated in this post in the Fan Film Writer's Primer, a good Story Editor can make all the difference in the world.
Oh, I agree with you, of course. My enthusiastic interest is based on the information that is currently available.
Old March 26 2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Captain Atkin
Commander

As far as casting goes, I don't see a problem with age. I would never guess to look at Vic that he was 54, as he looks between 38-43 to me.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

It's not a matter of looks, per se. Whether someone looks young because of clean living and good DNA or facelifts and hairplugs - the sad fact is that as we age the way our body's move becomes different: something time in a gym doesn't really address. (watch Shatner's acting in "Deadly Years" to study this)...maybe Vic can pull it off. I'm just saying it's "pushing it" and he'll have to work hard to do it.
Old March 26 2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Maurice wrote: View Post
SULU: I knew [s]he would.

John Broughton and the Farragut crew are a talented, hard-working and decent crew who've built an admirable operation over the last seven years or so while remaining good friends with one another and most everyone they work with - not really easy to do. I wish them well with this.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Danlav05
Lieutenant Commander

The cast looks very good - great to get Chris Doohan, he looks like his father!! And Vic looks good as Kirk.

They have a full replica of the Desilu soundstage and apparantly all the actors are pros.

I love Phse II so don't expect me to take sides, but they have experience with Farragut, so it'll be interesting to judge the final product.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Vic has a history of playing Kirk in Fan Films... Here's an exerpt from my webpage on his previous Star Trek Fan Film work:

My page: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/32.html, ...
Vic's Vintage Voyages (all appear to be silent, 8mm film, with sound added later. I'm thinking Vic is Kirk.). First 3 are solo:
1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8_26_Y1Ck (0:42)
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjZCeHWV_0 (0:59)
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hHaNhKnIo (2:40)
Now we get a crew:
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7ujfwBCoc (3:16)
5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI_sE8fl864 (3:04)

(See my page for a more recent outing...)

I am trying to get the exact year this was done for my Historic Fan Film section. If he's 54, this HAS to be the late 1960s, which means I REALLY NEED A DATE ON THESE. PLEASE!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!

By the way, I noted this coming series last January at the bottom of my Farragut page, vis: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/22.html
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Danlav05
Lieutenant Commander

AND Vic voiced Kirk on the English language dub of hte German film ENTERPRISE THE NEW GENERATION: CROSSROADS --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaK5X...ure=plpp_video
Old March 26 2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Kelso
Vice Admiral

LOL! These are fantastic!

I am trying to get the exact year this was done for my Historic Fan Film section. If he's 54, this HAS to be the late 1960s, which means I REALLY NEED A DATE ON THESE. PLEASE!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!
IMDB says that he was born August 27, 1962, which would make him 49. These films were likely shot in the early/mid 70's.
Old March 27 2012, 12:41 AM   #14
Danlav05
Lieutenant Commander

One very cool opportunity down the line would be a full-fledged Enterprise/Farragut teamup - TNG/DSN/VOY never really took up such an opportunity.

It could be even like part 1 a Farragut episode and part 2 a Continues episode as a few US network shows have done, with characters appearing in both
Old March 27 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

LOL! These are fantastic!

IMDB says that he was born August 27, 1962, which would make him 49. These films were likely shot in the early/mid 70's.
But it claims, above, that he is 54... which would make these earlier... I NEED A REAL ACTUAL YEAR. Here is my "Historic Star Trek Fan Film" page, and these clearly belong: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/204.html . All the films already listed have at least a year or a two year span. As you can clearly see, the earliest film I found is, like these, in 8mm WITH NO SOUND. Of course, my folks NEVER got a sound camera, but if these films were taken before Super8 got popular, these could easily pre-date Ray Gasser's work, perhaps even challenge Jr. Star Trek,... perhaps even 8mm Star Trek ... for the title of VERY FIRST STAR TREK FAN FILM EVER. At any event, for purposes of my Historic listing, I want more than a guess.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote