Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 25 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

This was a great beginning, a gorgeously made continuation of the Avatar universe. The animation was spectacular, feature-quality work, continuing everything that was great about the original but ramping it up. It felt like a Miyazaki film, even more than A:TLA did. Even the 3D computer animation on the cityscape and airships was very smoothly integrated with the 2D animation; the opening shots of the cityscape and the statue of Aang looked like paintings but had 3D movement. The "satomobiles" (cute) looked a little more like digital constructs when in motion, but I guess that's been done for so long that today's viewers are probably used to it, and it's certainly not unprecedented for this franchise.

Korra is a good character, well-played by Janet Varney. She's got a nice strong voice that reminds me of both Mae Whitman (Katara) and Cricket Leigh (Mai). It took me a few minutes to realize it, but in a real sense, Korra is Aang, or rather the same soul in a new life. And she does have Aang-like qualities in her impetuousness and self-doubt, and in her impulse to heroism. But she's different too, and her difficulty with airbending drives that home. She's a lot more aggressive than Aang, and a lot less polite.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

It'll probably be a while before I see it, but I'm glad to hear so many positive reviews.

It seems to be agreed that this is a worthy successor, which is pleasing.
Old March 25 2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Mr Light
Admiral

Wait, can you LEGALLY watch the show now? I thought people were saying it was a honey trap.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

No, there was an illegal site before, but it's up legally on Korra Nation for the duration of this weekend (meaning today is your last chance, if I understand correctly). It's a very clean, high-quality stream.

http://www.korranation.com/

Old March 25 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
SG-17
Commodore

I hope that the show just isn't limited to Republic City. I'd love to see how the outside world has changed too. I'd love to see Ba Sing Se and the Fire Nation Capital during this time period.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Well, the creators have said they're keeping this series based in Republic City to differentiate it from the globetrotting A:TLA. But I agree, it would be nice to learn something about how the rest of the world has changed. Hopefully we'll get occasional field trips, or learn about those places from visitors or news reports. Maybe if the show gets another season beyond the slated 26 episodes, they'll open it up more. Or maybe there will be tie-in comics.

On that subject, there's a canonical comic coming out called The Promise, which is set a year after "Sozin's Comet" and serves as a bridge between A:TLA and TLoK. It's in three 80-page volumes, of which the first is already out and the second is due in June. I'm eager to get my hands on it. I'm hoping it will reveal that "incredible story" of Zuko's search for his mother.

Old March 25 2012, 03:31 PM   #22
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I never knew about that. I'll have to get it.

The Promise Part 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

I have to say, so far, I'm even more impressed with this series than I was with TLA. TLA took about half a season or so to really find its voice, and this one's come out of Zone 3 punching.

Old March 25 2012, 05:06 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Manticore wrote: View Post

Old March 25 2012, 05:37 PM   #25
SG-17
Commodore

Manticore wrote: View Post

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 06:41 PM   #26
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

On that subject, there's a canonical comic coming out called The Promise, which is set a year after "Sozin's Comet" and serves as a bridge between A:TLA and TLoK. It's in three 80-page volumes, of which the first is already out and the second is due in June. I'm eager to get my hands on it. I'm hoping it will reveal that "incredible story" of Zuko's search for his mother.
Old March 25 2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

A lot to like here, the early 20th Century setting is cool, sassy Korra is a bit annoying sometimes but mostly funny and endearing but I think Tenzin totally steals the show, what a great character.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 09:47 PM   #28
Snaploud
Admiral

I liked what I saw. Korra was a little annoying, but she warmed up a bit as time passed.

Tenzin's kids were the stars of the show, by the way. They were the most fun and interesting of the new group of characters.
Snaploud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Hmm, granted.

Old March 26 2012, 01:53 AM   #30
T J
Commodore