Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 20 2012, 07:54 PM   #466
Keturah
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Done with the Valiant. A fun and gripping story, though some of the resolution seemed a bit weak. The enemy aliens never had any dialog, they just attacked and were beaten back. Maybe the enemy will pick back up in a future novel. A few other threads not tied up or left hanging either, just dropped. But still, I enjoyed the read.

Anxiously starting the first series Stargazer book, hoping it will continue to be fun and also resolve some of these.
Keturah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 08:16 AM   #467
captcalhoun
Admiral

finished Black Wolf.

now re-reading MU: Shards and Shadows
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 05:14 PM   #468
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

The Death and Life of Great American Cities, by Jane Jacobs. However, a book I've been waiting weeks for is FINALLY back in the library -- Bernard Cornwell's Death of Kings, the next book in the Saxon Stories series. I'm beyond excited.
DS9 CapCon #103: The Most Dangerous Game
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:39 PM   #469
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just finished Voyager: Homecoming. All around decent, but I think the book suffers from trying to force a plot on the the homecoming. It was almost as if we couldn't really think of what to do for the characters so instead we just have them sitting around treading water. Admittedly, there is a Trek III vibe to end of the novel. But man, oh man, could this book have used another pass from the editor. "The Doctor answered a message to see a the handsome brown visage of an attractive man." "Janeway stare at the handsome but forbidding Admiral." "The Doctor recalled Iden, who had been an appealing but ultimately ugly person." I think Christie Golden may have invented the Female Gaze! (Kidding, kidding.) I didn't think it was out of place to call the characters attractive, but everyone is attractive in this book, and they are uniformly called so.

I decided to tackle The Farther Shore right away, but I'm only 3 or so chapters in. Next on the docket is the Chakotay story from "Captain's Table" and then TNG: A Hard Rain.
Old March 24 2012, 12:16 AM   #470
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Splitting attention between "Rings of Time" and the last part of Enterrprise's Romulan War saga.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 01:09 AM   #471
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

I don't know what to read next. It's between:
  • Adventures of an Artificial Woman-Tom Berger
  • The Lost Man (Saint novel)-Leslie Charteris
  • Firefly-Piers Anthony
  • Double Star-Robert Heinlein
  • Menace from Earth-Robert Heinlein
  • 6 x H- Robert Heinlein

Or something else on my shelf that I've read, and need another Joel-opinion on....
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 02:38 AM   #472
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

menace from earth is awesome read.

now on catching fire by suzanne collins.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 11:45 AM   #473
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Hurrah and huzzah! Finally finished Summon the Thunder after two weeks! It hasn't taken me that long to finish a book in months, but it did drag in places and my attention was diverted on to other things. Ah well.

Time to play catch up and read That Which Divides before Storming Heaven is released on Tuesday.
Old March 25 2012, 04:48 PM   #474
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ I've been distracted lately too (by Mass Effect 3) and am only on the final pages of Summon the Thunder now, so it'll be a little while longer before I get to post the review thread, sorry . If you want to do it earlier you're of course welcome to, though.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2012, 05:42 AM   #475
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Sho wrote: View Post
^ I've been distracted lately too (by Mass Effect 3) and am only on the final pages of Summon the Thunder now, so it'll be a little while longer before I get to post the review thread, sorry . If you want to do it earlier you're of course welcome to, though.
If you don't mind, Sho, then I'll have a stab at creating the thread. Thank you, and good luck with finishing.
Old March 26 2012, 07:02 AM   #476
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Started Variable Star today, the novel that Robert Heinlein left unfinished and was completed by Spider Robinson. I've heard mixed reviews, but I haven't read enough Heinlein and nothing by Robinson to let comparisons with other works get in the way. Hopefully that will let me enjoy the book on its own merits. So far it isn't bad.

But more significantly I stumbled across a book called Count To A Trillion by John C. Wright. I started the first page and before I knew it I was done the prologue. The writing was sweeping me along, but I didn't buy the book because I wanted to do some research on the author and see if anything else he's written might catch my attention more. Has anyone heard of him? I'm eyeing the Orphans of Chaos trilogy at the moment.
Old March 26 2012, 08:17 PM   #477
JD
Admiral

I started ST: Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again, the fourth book in the miniseries. This will be my second Christopher L. Bennett book in a row, and I'm pretty confident it won't dissapoint.
Old March 26 2012, 08:25 PM   #478
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished The Farther Shore last night. It ended strongly, but seemed directionless during the first half. I wonder if it was supposed to be a trilogy and got condensed because the Holographic plot line just sort of ends abruptly relatively unresolved. I also quickly read Chakotary's story from Tales from the Captain's Table. Decent overall. A really nice lead in to the character taking command, I thought.

And now I'm onto A Hard Rain, which is fairly entertaining for a Holodeck story.
Old March 26 2012, 11:27 PM   #479
indianatrekker26
Captain

Currently reading Star Trek: TNG A Call to Darkness by Michael Jan Friedman and Star Wars: NJO Dark Tide Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole. Really enjoying both.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 02:08 AM   #480
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I finished Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code and started to move on to Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception. However, I'm reconsidering this, as I had to really push myself through these, and I'm thinking it's time for something new. Plus I'm really starting to hurt for shelf space again.

I'm going to go on a mini-rant here and say these books have annoyed me throughout with the frequency of run-on sentences, fragments, and homophone errors. Maybe this makes me overly obsessive about grammar, but in books aimed at kids who are supposed to be learning how to properly compose sentences and use words, the number of these mistakes in these books is simply unacceptable.

So I'm thinking these are headed for either trade or sale online.

I have Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by Daniel Wallace that I picked up at a thrift store a while back that is smiling at me over there. I had never heard of it, but the cover caught my eye, the blurb on the flap seemed interesting, and it barely cost me anything - either $.50 or $1.00. I think I'll try it next.

ETA: I'm also reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on my iPhone when I find myself without a book handy. Amazon offered the Kindle version on the cheap a while back, and it's been a pleasant diversion when I've needed one. I haven't felt compelled to read it when I have something else more handy, but it's amusing enough.