TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 22 2012, 04:12 PM   #76
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Re: New live action "Turtles"?

At first I wondered if Bay was simply crazy, but the more I think about it....

The TMNT were created by mutagen manufactured by a corporation called TCRI that was controlled by the Utrom alien race on Earth. It's not that difficult for Bay to take that in an interview and twist it into "They're aliens!" without giving it much thought.
Old March 22 2012, 06:00 PM   #77
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
Michael Bay's response:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88213

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

*sigh* Sometimes things simply don't need expanded backstory. The moment things are thought about too much, it starts to fall apart. We all know what happened when Lucas wanted to add the Midichlorians as an explanation for the Force. It just doesn't end well. Why can't things just be the way they are? The world is fine the way it is. Turtles being aliens isn't going to improve on anything.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 09:45 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
So true.
How does making them aliens add anything to who they are?
Will them being aliens explain why they fight crime?
Will it further enhance their sense of duty, honor or justice?
No it will not, let it be, just let it be.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 08:00 AM   #79
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

The Nostalgia Critic gives his thoughts on this new development and he's all for it. I've got be fair, he makes a pretty good argument. He won me over.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...ould-be-aliens

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 08:37 AM   #80
pork3
Commander

As far as I'm concerned, their backstory could have been that they came about from eating a particularly nasty bout of the runs from a crack-infused whore taking a dump in the back alley of a brothel.

It's a bunch of fucking talking turtles, I couldn't possibly care less.

-Jamman
pork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:21 AM   #81
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I dunno. It's usually lame whenever a movie takes an alien and makes them into walking-talking boxes of American Slang/popular culture.
Old March 23 2012, 05:35 PM   #82
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree. Like I said earlier, the moment you try thinking about it too hard and adding more backstory, it falls apart. The Turtles were pure 80's and the mutation is about the extent that we really need to know. Pushing that further is just a bad idea. Some things are just better left alone.

One of my favourite Turtles movie was actually the animated movie from awhile back. I'm not talking about the CGI movie, but rather traditional animation, which featured a crossover between all the different versions of the Turtles including the comics. It showed that the 80's Turtles had way more personality than the ones from the recent cartoons.
Old March 23 2012, 09:17 PM   #83
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I really think the first (live action) Turtles movie is very good. It's a good mix of the Turtles and how they were in their original comic book run and the Turtles kids new on the cartoon. (About the only thing that translated from there were the personalities of the turtles and their character traits.) SotO tilted a bit too far into emulating the toon, losing that "dark edge" of the Turtles and the less said about TiT the better. The CGI movie from a few years ago was okay, but I think it took too many of the more sci-fi elements from the original comics that already strain the SoDB some may be willing to doll out.

Making the Turtles aliens? Wouldn't this damage if not make it impossible for much of their deeper, darker, back story to be used? Particularly the relationship between Hamato Yoshi, Oroku Saki (Splinter/Shredder)?

I still hope against odds that Bay was taking some piss and the actual origins will be used in the movie. If not... Man will I be pissed because.... Ugh.

Hell I like the "back story" they seem to going with now in the current run of the comics. Go with that!

But making them fucking aliens? That's just going to be stupid.
Old March 23 2012, 09:20 PM   #84
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yeah, I agree. Like I said earlier, the moment you try thinking about it too hard and adding more backstory, it falls apart. The Turtles were pure 80's and the mutation is about the extent that we really need to know. Pushing that further is just a bad idea. Some things are just better left alone.

One of my favourite Turtles movie was actually the animated movie from awhile back. I'm not talking about the CGI movie, but rather traditional animation, which featured a crossover between all the different versions of the Turtles including the comics. It showed that the 80's Turtles had way more personality than the ones from the recent cartoons.
If you mean Turtles Forever then I agree. That was a very enjoyable made for TV movie that any long time Turtles fan should watch. Especially if your association goes back to the late 80's/early 90's.

The video rant of Racist Alien Big Boob Explosions was a bit funny though.
Old March 23 2012, 11:04 PM   #85
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

If you mean Turtles Forever then I agree. That was a very enjoyable made for TV movie that any long time Turtles fan should watch. Especially if your association goes back to the late 80's/early 90's.

The video rant of Racist Alien Big Boob Explosions was a bit funny though.

Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. It was very entertaining and felt respectful towards the source material.
Old March 24 2012, 03:05 AM   #86
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I think Peter Parker should be an alien. Give me a good reason why not.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 04:01 AM   #87
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I think Peter Parker should be an alien. Give me a good reason why not.
Right now, I'm scratching my head, wondering whether his being an extraterrestrial is the secret that's been kept from him in The Amazing Spider Man. I guess I can't give you a good reason, then. Sorry.
Old March 24 2012, 04:18 AM   #88
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Jonathan Liebesman is out doing spin control and in the process insulting our knowledge of TMNT.
“Look, it’s so funny—if everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from. That is alien ooze. Now I’m not saying what Michael said is exactly what the movie is, because we’re sitting in a room now figuring everything out. So we don’t know, but we are like Michael said: we’re expanding it, and the expansion will be true to the mythology. I promise you: fans will love it.”
Michael Bay's comment was the turtles would be alien.
The ooze having alien ties is an entirely different matter.
Yes, the Utroms had infiltrated TCRI and contributed to the ooze. That is not in dispute.

Saying ooze=alien(or alien-esque) sure. I can post pics of utroms at TCRI in early TMNT issues, I have the hardcover.
Saying turtles=alien doesn't fly, cause turtles are terrestrial
Old March 24 2012, 04:57 AM   #89
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, exactly. It would be more accurate to say that their mutation is a product of the alien ooze, not that they're alien themselves. They can expand on where the ooze came from all they want, but it wouldn't necessarily change anything in a meaningful way.
Old March 25 2012, 01:16 AM   #90
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

We all know what happened when Lucas wanted to add the Midichlorians as an explanation for the Force.
Yeah, people started saying things like "Lucas wanted to add the midichlorians as an explanation for the Force", and then made them a scapegoat for Jar Jar Binks. The explanation for the Force happened in 1977.