TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 23 2012, 03:38 AM   #1141
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I just noticed something , On the PS3 version I loaded a save from ME 2 that had Mass Effect: Genesis to cover ME and apparently despite meeting her during Garrus' recruitment mission in Mass Effect aparently My Shepard has never met Dr. Michel before Mass Effect 3 weird.
Did Genesis actually mention that you met her? Otherwise, well, you didn't, despite going through the comic.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:50 AM   #1142
Mr Light
Admiral

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:58 AM   #1143
BigFoot
Admiral

^ There are other ways to handle that particular situation.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 02:04 PM   #1144
Reverend
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
I just noticed something , On the PS3 version I loaded a save from ME 2 that had Mass Effect: Genesis to cover ME and apparently despite meeting her during Garrus' recruitment mission in Mass Effect aparently My Shepard has never met Dr. Michel before Mass Effect 3 weird.
Did Genesis actually mention that you met her? Otherwise, well, you didn't, despite going through the comic.
I imagine it requires the ME1 blackmail sidequest plot flag to be set, as it is possible to recruit Garrus without ever visiting the clinic. From what I gather the Genesis comic only covers the "major" decisions and not even all of them (I gather Feros is entierly omitted?)
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 03:01 PM   #1145
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
I imagine it requires the ME1 blackmail sidequest plot flag to be set, as it is possible to recruit Garrus without ever visiting the clinic. From what I gather the Genesis comic only covers the "major" decisions and not even all of them (I gather Feros is entierly omitted?)
Feros is mentioned but it assumes you went renegade on your choices.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 09:05 PM   #1146
throwback
Captain

This Mass Effect ending debacle is a learning tool for everyone.

People express their anger at the ending by donating their money to a charity that supports children. They donate nearly $80,000 to the cause. The charity requests that the RetakeMassEffect movement end the fund raising citing bad press and negative feedback. The movement complies.

Did you know that Child's Play was founded by the people who are behind the Penny Arcade? Penny Arcade has been disparaging of RetakeMassEffect.

Here is a link that goes into more detail:

http://clancop.wordpress.com/2012/03...-under-attack/

http://clancop.wordpress.com/2012/03...y-as-a-shield/

I don't remember much about the controversy surrounding Fallout 3's ending. Was it this ugly?

UPDATE: The RetakeMassEffect has found a new charity for fans to donate money. It is called Kids Need To Read. However, this charity is receiving hate mail and they have been requested by some to cut ties with this movement.

The longer this drags on, the uglier it gets.

Last edited by throwback; March 23 2012 at 09:22 PM.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 09:37 PM   #1147
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Using a charity to rally people to a largely unrelated cause is pretty shady IMO and I don't blame the Penny Arcade people for wanting to disassociate themselves regardless on what their views of said cause are.

And no, the fuss over FO3's ending wasn't much of a fuss at all.
Old March 23 2012, 10:33 PM   #1148
throwback
Captain

One of the lessons to be learned from the charity issue was if you don't do your research you may find yourself in a bind. By selecting a charity that was founded by people who are associated with the industry and may have an interest in maintaining the status quo, the founders of RetakeMassEffect were sideswiped when the charity turned against them. I agree that this was a risky move that had questionable motives; however, the positive press generated by this move stunted some of the sting of the critics.

(I feel the status quo for this situation was for maintaining the ending as it currently exists. "Broken Steel" for Fallout 3 was a rarity.)
Old March 24 2012, 02:33 AM   #1149
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Not the best analogy since Broken Steel didn't change the ending, it simply continued the story in a fairly logical direction. Plus I don't think it came about through direct fan pressure, Bethensda seemed to come up with it all on their own. The equivalent in this case would be a DLC in which Shepard awakens from the dead (again) to help the newly united galaxy wipe out the last vestiges of the Reapers and/or Cerberus. That's not what TBME is asking for, nor is anyone else really.
Old March 24 2012, 02:58 AM   #1150
throwback
Captain

In Mass Effect 3, the fans have asked for content that clarifies the ending and meets what the developers said in pre-release comments. The press is reporting that Bioware is looking at ways to extend the ending in the form of DLC or a patch. To do this, the ending of Mass Effect 3 will have to change. Many in the industry are opposed to this change.

The analogy is similar in that the ending in both games will have additional content after release, and that this content will address issues that were present in the original ending. [Fallout 3 - Fawkes]
Old March 24 2012, 04:25 AM   #1151
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

backstept wrote: View Post
They don't owe us anything.
Far as I've seen, no one here has suggested that they owe us. By that same token, the customers don't owe them future business, favorable word of mouth or positive reviews.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 09:53 AM   #1152
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
And no, the fuss over FO3's ending wasn't much of a fuss at all.
I don't think there was a fuss. It's just that the ending didn't take into account the most obvious solution to the ending ever. Like they never anticipated something like that happening... and it's only later did they decide to both fix that ending solution in response to that criticism.

Of course, they probably had 5 dlc packs planned anyway - to make one of them a post-script probably wasn't that much of a stretch... giving them the chance to change the ending.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 10:15 AM   #1153
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, that's what I meant. There wasn't a fuss at all, just a common criticism and I suppose there might have been some griping at not being able to free roam post ending. Plus, as I said they didn't change the ending at all, just took out the epilogue that says you died and added new content. The old ending didn't really go anywhere.

Mass Effect 3 is a completely different situation.
Old March 24 2012, 10:59 AM   #1154
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, not to get into spoilers... but it's a fairly big change considering the "finality" of the original ending.

And it's not even that people wanted there to be a happy ending or whatever. There was just such a huge inconsistency/plot hole that the ending completely broke for some people (especially if you had a certain companion with you).

But yeah, certainly it didn't engender the reaction we got with ME3. But then again, it also wasn't as... problematic, to put it kindly.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 03:12 PM   #1155
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I like the assault rifle we get from From the Ashes it kills Husks dead. Can't wait to fry some Cerberus bastards with it
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote