Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 23 2012, 09:08 PM   #3781
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i'm still trying to wrap my head around four different Robins being squeezed into a five year time span.
Batman likes them young and taut. Once they outgrow the tights at 13 he sends them out into the world.
Old March 23 2012, 09:09 PM   #3782
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

it still doesn't answer the question though. it's just a dodge. they may as well say, 'we don't know!'
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 09:09 PM   #3783
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Dick I believe is supposed to be 21 or something now...and has been Nightwing for a few years so yeah he'd have to have started out as Robin as a 12 year old. Stephanie as Robin during War Games still seems to have lasted only few a few months as it did in the previous DCU continuity. Jason Todd must've been like a year or two as Robin.

@Preator Shinzon I have the same problem with this timeline as you do, which is why I continually bring it up. I hate repeating myself, but it is just plain silly some of the stuff they've attempted to reconcile or compress into this five year timeline.

Also in "Batgirl" it was established that Babs hadn't been Batgirl for "three years" or something like that, and we don't know if Oracle ever existed or not. Probably not.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 09:15 PM   #3784
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Also in "Batgirl" it was established that Babs hadn't been Batgirl for "three years" or something like that, and we don't know if Oracle ever existed or not. Probably not.
Which, imo, is a major foul.
I mean we aren't talking about writing Ambush Bug out of continuity but Oracle!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 09:16 PM   #3785
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Now that I think about it, Stephanie has gone completely MIA in the New 52, hasn't she? Maybe she's hanging out with Wally West.
Old March 23 2012, 09:19 PM   #3786
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Stephanie was in Levitation Strikes! and has been demoted back to Spoiler. I believe she is supposed to be in Batman, Incorporated Volume Two when it returns this summer. There was also an issue this week (i can't remember the book now though) of someone calling a meeting of the Robins (not sure if Steph was involved in that issue or not).

Old March 23 2012, 09:22 PM   #3787
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Dick I believe is supposed to be 21 or something now...and has been Nightwing for a few years so yeah he'd have to have started out as Robin as a 12 year old. Stephanie as Robin during War Games still seems to have lasted only few a few months as it did in the previous DCU continuity. Jason Todd must've been like a year or two as Robin.

@Preator Shinzon I have the same problem with this timeline as you do, which is why I continually bring it up. I hate repeating myself, but it is just plain silly some of the stuff they've attempted to reconcile or compress into this five year timeline.

yeah, Batgirl and Nightwing are the only Bat-books i'm reading. i just assume that Babs was Oracle at some point. i know the Batman and Green Lantern books weren't rebooted cause they were big sellers...but man, it just creates headaches when you try to sort things out or compress five Robins into a short amount of time.

OdoWanKenobi wrote:
Now that I think about it, Stephanie has gone completely MIA in the New 52, hasn't she? Maybe she's hanging out with Wally West.
i guess she's in limbo, hanging out with Wally and Donna.
Old March 23 2012, 09:26 PM   #3788
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wally and Donna are supposed to be coming back at some point this summer, unless DiDio was lying about that.

Old March 23 2012, 09:28 PM   #3789
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I'll believe Wally and Donna are back when I see the books.
Old March 23 2012, 09:39 PM   #3790
Saga
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'll believe Wally and Donna are back when I see the books.
word.
Old March 23 2012, 09:43 PM   #3791
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Who knows maybe we'll get alternate versions of Wally and Donna to go along with the alternate versions of the JSA!

Old March 23 2012, 10:58 PM   #3792
Snaploud
Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
All we know is that issue seven was the first present day issue of Justice League. Bruce's comment to Trevor about asking....errr...demanding that the UN disban JLI was a little harsh and I thought a forced attempt at bad comedy. I dropped JLI but didn't the first issue establish that Batman infiltrated the team in the first place to kind of "guide" them as well as his main objective to find out what the UN's agenda was with starting a team? Like I said I dropped the book after the second issue so I don't know what happened since.
I dropped it after the third, but it looked pretty clear that the situation was as you suggest. This new information, that Bruce wanted the JLI as a kind of distraction meant only for publicity, seems to directly contradict that. The onyl way I can reconcile the two is to suggest that Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1, and that Batman changes his mind after seeing the team in action (except that here he says he has zero respect for the team after seeing them in action).
I was thinking that a) Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1 and b) Batman is referring to an original quickly-squashed (by Batman) JLI that existed prior to JLI 1. In other words, the distraction JLI is some group that existed as a brief idea but never got over the ground due to Batman stepping in and squashing it. He decided the more recent incarnation, though, had more potential.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 11:03 PM   #3793
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

No Batman was definitely referring to the New'52 JLI...your proposals Snaploud make more sense than the line we actually got. I just think it was Johns trying to have Batman "diss" the JLI at an attempt at bad comedy, and once again Justice League #7 takes place in the present time...as does Justice League International. The only two books that I'm aware of that took place in the five years ago (or longer) time period are the first six issues of Justice League and Action Comics.

Old March 23 2012, 11:08 PM   #3794
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Derishton wrote: View Post
All we know is that issue seven was the first present day issue of Justice League. Bruce's comment to Trevor about asking....errr...demanding that the UN disban JLI was a little harsh and I thought a forced attempt at bad comedy. I dropped JLI but didn't the first issue establish that Batman infiltrated the team in the first place to kind of "guide" them as well as his main objective to find out what the UN's agenda was with starting a team? Like I said I dropped the book after the second issue so I don't know what happened since.
I dropped it after the third, but it looked pretty clear that the situation was as you suggest. This new information, that Bruce wanted the JLI as a kind of distraction meant only for publicity, seems to directly contradict that. The onyl way I can reconcile the two is to suggest that Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1, and that Batman changes his mind after seeing the team in action (except that here he says he has zero respect for the team after seeing them in action).
I was thinking that a) Justice League 7 takes place before JLI 1 and b) Batman is referring to an original quickly-squashed (by Batman) JLI that existed prior to JLI 1. In other words, the distraction JLI is some group that existed as a brief idea but never got over the ground due to Batman stepping in and squashing it. He decided the more recent incarnation, though, had more potential.
Why would they make it that difficult to fit into continuity?
Old March 23 2012, 11:11 PM   #3795
Derishton
Vice Admiral

(Son of the Demon which I believe has been made canon again)
I think DC just released a trade with some of the Batman/Talia/Ras al-Ghul stuff, which might confirm that they're pushing that back story both as part of the New 52 and for the upcoming film.