Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 12 2012, 10:43 PM   #151
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I wonder if this might doom Elemetary, too? Quean was making efforts to change the location, race and gender of characters, and apparently that didn't keep the lawyers at bay:
Yeah, but Quean (which I'd never heard of till that report came out) isn't based on a widely known concept that many assume is in the public domain (as the makers of TNG found out was not the case). Elementary is a new version of an established story without changing names, etc. Same as if two competing Frankenstein or Dracula series were created. I can't see there being any legal recourse for the BBC, anymore than for the makers of the Downey movie.

It's not the same scenario than if, say, a US network commissioned a TV series about a British secret agent named James Gunn Agent 666 who has a license to kill and who travels the world womanizing and killing off supervillians. Eon Productions, owners of James Bond, would take umbrage. And the descriptions I've read about Quean offer the same kind of similarities with the Girl movies, so the legal whip cracking is not surprising. I was expecting to see the same thing happen with The Hunger Games, which is almost identical in concept to Battle Royale, but the powers that be have made it clear the similarities were coincidental, so last I heard the Japanese rights holders of Battle Royale haven't been making any noises. Yet. We'll wait and see if Hunger Games enters the $500 million club or not.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 02:21 PM   #152
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I wonder if this might doom Elemetary, too? Quean was making efforts to change the location, race and gender of characters, and apparently that didn't keep the lawyers at bay:
Yeah, but Quean (which I'd never heard of till that report came out) isn't based on a widely known concept that many assume is in the public domain (as the makers of TNG found out was not the case). Elementary is a new version of an established story without changing names, etc. Same as if two competing Frankenstein or Dracula series were created. I can't see there being any legal recourse for the BBC, anymore than for the makers of the Downey movie.
Exactly. It's not like any of the new versions invented Holmes and Watson, or even the idea of setting them in the present-day.

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 13 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2012, 10:22 PM   #153
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I don't think the BBC has any valid case here, either. But a corporation doesn't need to have a good legal case in order to make trouble. All they need is money to pay their lawyers and the will to pursue legal action. They can make enough trouble to shut down a production simply because nobody wants the headache of dealing with that shit.

So this is less about whether the BBC has a valid case than whether they have the resources to make as much trouble as Sony could have. That's what I find doubtful.

However, CBS has just renewed a ton of shows, and they have a fair number of pilots in contention, which means any single pilot is going to have a big uphill battle to get a series order. If the BBC made any trouble at all, that could be enough to get CBS to pass over Elementary in favor of something that won't be any legal bother at all.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 04:43 AM   #154
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Further proof that CBS’ in-the-works Sherlock Holmes reboot will take the iconic franchise in a radical new direction: The network has cast Lucy Liu as Watson!

TVLine has learned that Liu has been tapped to play Watson to Jonny Lee Miller‘s Sherlock in Elementary, the network’s modern-day take on the famed detective saga.

Another key change: Sherlock and Watson now live in New York City.
http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/lucy-l...es-elementary/

Seriously, what the hell? Why make Watson female? This looks like it is going to be so stupid.
Because the script writers are absolutely terrified of homosexual tension. Mark my words, Holmes is going to 'do' Watson
Old March 15 2012, 06:00 PM   #155
Forbin
Admiral

But not till season five, so they can stretch out the sexual tension.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 10:34 PM   #156
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If only they'd put this on the CW! Then the hoyay would not only be necessary but mandatory!

Of course Holmes and Watson would look like the Salvatore Brothers, but you can't have everything. Hmm, there's a thought...what if they were brothers?
Old March 16 2012, 02:22 AM   #157
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If only they'd put this on the CW! Then the hoyay would not only be necessary but mandatory!

Of course Holmes and Watson would look like the Salvatore Brothers, but you can't have everything. Hmm, there's a thought...what if they were brothers?
Sherlock has enough brothers, as it is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 01:55 PM   #158
Starkers
Admiral

Hmm...

Well I guess it's possible that this isn't his Sherlock outfit, and is just Miller's regular clothes, and I guess there's only so many different looks for a guy, but still if you were trying to distance yourselves from accusations of ripping off the BBC, would you really dress your guy that much like Cumberbatch?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 03:36 PM   #159
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I don't know if it's all that similar. Cumberbatch's distinctive coat is a lot longer. The scarf is a bit reminiscent, I suppose, but a lot of guys wear scarves.
Old March 22 2012, 04:04 PM   #160
Starkers
Admiral

Oh I know it's a bit of a stretch, but given the BBC were already making noises, don't you think it might have been prudent to avoid any similarities, and whilst lots of blokes wear a scarf, they don't neccesarily all wear them the same way.

Old March 22 2012, 04:04 PM   #161
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Moffat is "annoyed." Elementary could, if it's not good, damage his "brand."

Really? Sherlock is a brand? We're talking about a series that has six episodes, and will have three more eighteen months from now. Some brand.

And Moffat seems not to have considered the possibility that Elementary might even be good. Though in that case, he might protest that Elementary's producers took his idea and eclipsed him with it. But would that be such a bad thing? It would force Moffat to up his game.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 04:45 PM   #162
Starkers
Admiral

Does anyone seriously expect this to be better than Sherlock?

Some interesting points from that article though...

They've just decided to go off and do one of their own, having been turned down by us to do an adaptation of our version.
So clearly they are trying to ride Sherlock's coat tails. Which I think we all knew anyway.

"We don't own Sherlock Holmes," he said. "We don't even own the idea of updating it. It's been done before.
"I hope they know their Sherlock Holmes very, very well indeed because we know what's in our show and wasn't in the original.
"So if we did discover our material had made it into somebody else's show we would have a problem with that. If there is no such incidence of that, then there's nothing we can object to."
Seems reasonable, they know they don't own Sherlock Holmes, but they do know what they've added to it.

I don't see why Moffat isn't allowed to be annoyed at this? Remember he's already seen one of his shows butchered by American networks.

Old March 22 2012, 05:06 PM   #163
Beagleman
Captain

He kinda looks like a cross between Cumberbatch's Sherlock and House.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 05:33 PM   #164
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
Does anyone seriously expect this to be better than Sherlock?
I don't think it's automatically going to be bad, which is what Moffat seems to think and what much of Sherlock fandom I've encountered definitely thinks.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 09:17 PM   #165
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If Moffat has an infringement case, he should call his lawyers. If not, his comments are pointless, and he should stfu. He's just trying to get some free PR by inventing a controversy. The stuff about the coat and scarf is just desperate and sad.

Most likely, this pilot will never go to series. CBS has a lot of pilots and few available slots. (Given their ongoing success, this is the case every year.) Pilots have a much easier time on ABC and especially NBC.
So clearly they are trying to ride Sherlock's coat tails.
Sherlock has no coattails to ride. Do you honestly think CBS viewers have even heard of it? Trust me, Americans know only two types of TV: American TV and Downton Abbey.