RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,706
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 500
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 22 2012, 05:56 AM   #3736
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I didn't care for Billy being an ass. I wish the Gary Frank who drew the old Supergirl series was on the art.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 05:57 AM   #3737
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah...that part bugged me. That seems to be a theme with Johns right now...his characters being asses.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 05:59 AM   #3738
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yeah, seems like the people claiming that Hal being characterized as a dumbass was just him being young and brash were wrong. That's absolutely the way he's going to be written in this book. Kinda weird that Johns is writing Hal two different ways in the two books he's writing him in. I mean, Hal's not exactly a genius in Green Lantern. He's been getting led around by Sinestro a fair bit, but he's not a complete jackass moron that thinks only with his dick. And yeah, what the heck is up with Billy Batson being an asshole, as well?

I like how Nightwing's plotline got tied into the Court of Owls. Looks to be the first of what will probably be several retcons to bring the Owls into Batman's past. This one I'm pretty cool with, though, as it's actually an interesting story, and doesn't really change anything major in Dick's origin (that we know of.)

As for Batman, well, great as ever. This has been the best book in the New 52 since its inception. The owl killing the iconic bat was a fantastic bit. I do wish I hadn't had to read an identical scene twice in both Batman and Nightwing, though.

Finally, John Stewart has gotten off waaaaaaaay too easy for killing his fellow Lantern, last month.
Old March 22 2012, 06:01 AM   #3739
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i was just about to ask what you guys thought about the Shazam back up. i didn't care for Billy's attitude either. i assume once he gains power he'll become a better person. though, i always liked it that Billy started out as a good kid and the power didn't change him. i'm a Captain Marvel fan and at this point i'm not sure what to make of this new take on the character.
Old March 22 2012, 06:05 AM   #3740
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Granted, I've not read a whole lot of Captain Marvel, but he always seemed like the super nice guy of the DC Universe. He's always shown smiling. That's why he was so effective in Kingdom Come. It was "Holy crap, Luthor corrupted Captain freaking Marvel?" Turning him into a jerk just seems wrong.
Old March 22 2012, 06:09 AM   #3741
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't one of the points of Captain Marvel was that Billy WAS a good kid, who deserved the power of Shazam? Which is why he was granted it in the first place? This version came across nothing like that. I still kind of liked the story though.

Old March 22 2012, 06:14 AM   #3742
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it was pretty good till Billy went off the rails. Didn't care for the Sivana redesign.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old March 22 2012, 06:38 AM   #3743
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Sivana reminded me of an older Luthor.

Old March 22 2012, 07:05 AM   #3744
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Sivana reminded me of an older Luthor.
As played by David Cross.
Old March 22 2012, 07:12 AM   #3745
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Wonder Woman #7 I think really explains why the Diana in JLA is rather naive. Given that she has been fed a pack of lies for her whole entire life of where she came and the very nature of the Amazons, the depiction in JLA does kind of fit. It's also interesting that Azarello and Chiang are discarding most of the idealized view of the Amazons in previous versions as egalitarian and above the patriarchy and going for a more Greek mythology centric portrayal of the Amazons.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 07:53 AM   #3746
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Agreed about "Wonder Woman". I'm totally loving it. Will be getting the trade when it comes out in June or July I think.

Old March 22 2012, 11:30 AM   #3747
Mr Light
Admiral

I guess I'm in the minority by being extremely bored by JL #7. And why the hell is Hal still being an immature dick five years later when he's not like that in his own book?

I'm not also not nuts about their decision to make Billy Batson a cool rebel bad boy.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2012, 04:33 PM   #3748
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Supergirl #7: The opening arc finally concludes. I'm still very much up in the air about this book. Not sure to drop it or not. I understand what the writing teams motives are with this character and that they're exploring taking Kara from one chaotic situation to another, but I've not really liked it. Limited contact with her cousin, whom one would logically think should still have been trying to search for someone from his own world. I also understand this lack of contact...due to the upcoming self-contained event in the Super Family of books. I guess things will start to settle themselves after this or during this, as Clark finally deals with no longer being alone. I still like the new redesign though and the art has been consistent all the way through.

Batman #7: This continues to be absolutely fabulous. Any reservations I have had about this story continue to be pushed aside, simply due to Snyder's sheer genius and writing ability. I agree this is the best book of the New 52 (I'd edge it over Action Comics even, which you all know I'm a huge fan of). Not sure it was necessary for Bruce to knock his own son over but he has been through a great deal. Interesting with the woman...this is going to be a fascinating summer for Batman.

Old March 22 2012, 06:57 PM   #3749
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I guess I'm in the minority by being extremely bored by JL #7.
nah, i didn't care for the issue either. the Shazam back up was far more interesting.
Old March 22 2012, 07:00 PM   #3750
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Wonder Woman, great as always, with a possible revelation about the nature of the magic lasso (which contradicts an ongoing joke in Justice League). And in Justice League, Batman apparently loathes the JLI, which at least appears to contradict his actions in that title (until I stopped reading it). I'm sensing a theme here, in which the biggest titles aren't quite adding up. But both books were good reads (not sure about that Shazam back-up).

Red Hood and the Outlaws: anyone waiting to hear where Raven is in this new DC, you might want to read this - there's an overt mention of Trigon, and a character who is called something else but could be read as a radical re-design of Raven. And if Raven is, as we've been told, linked to Pandora, Red Hood might be a more important/core title than it first appeared.

Less spoiler-y, I really like the structure of Red Hood: seven issues in and it's taking its time with the overall plot, while the mini-arcs feed into the main story organically. It feels, on that level, like the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans or mid-70s Spider-man.