Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 4 2012, 04:10 AM   #31
J.C. England
Lieutenant

Re: STAR TREK: PHASE II "Kitumba" Sneak Peek

Don't know about the rest of you, but
if the lights were dimmed in my office
to give the impression of night...I'd fall
asleep at my desk...QUICKLY! Zzz Zzz Zzz...lol!
J.C. England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 05:39 PM   #32
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

J.C. England wrote: View Post
Don't know about the rest of you, but
if the lights were dimmed in my office
to give the impression of night...I'd fall
asleep at my desk...QUICKLY! Zzz Zzz Zzz...lol!
On the other hand, folks lucky enough to have visited the Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) in Pasadena probably have seen the Deep Space Operations Center (DSOC). The DSOC is the mission control room from where our various unmanned space missions are controlled. The DSOC is referred to as "The Darkroom" by the scientists at JPL. Folks who have been there can tell you that it is indeed cool and dark inside the glass-enclosed DSOC--probably to make it easier to focus attention to monitors.

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 09:36 PM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Folks who have been there can tell you that it is indeed cool and dark inside the glass-enclosed DSOC--probably to make it easier to focus attention to monitors.
Which would suggest that such levels of darkness in a control room are inappropriate unless there are a lot of monitors to look at and that need looking at, as illustrated in your photos.
Old March 4 2012, 09:49 PM   #34
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Folks who have been there can tell you that it is indeed cool and dark inside the glass-enclosed DSOC--probably to make it easier to focus attention to monitors.
Which would suggest that such levels of darkness in a control room are inappropriate unless there are a lot of monitors to look at and that need looking at, as illustrated in your photos.
And, of course, "lots of monitors to look at and that need looking at" describes the bridge set perfectly. Eight small flat-screens per station (what is that? a total of 64?) plus the large overhead monitors at each station, plus one large viewscreen/monitor in the front: that's a lot of monitors.
Old March 4 2012, 10:00 PM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
And, of course, "lots of monitors" describes the bridge set perfectly. Eight small flat-screens per station (what is that? a total of 64?) plus the large overhead monitors at each station, plus one large viewscreen/monitor in the front: that's a lot of monitors.
Most of which put out very little light, and which we rarely see the crew (at least the regulars) having any need to refer to, especially when, like Kirk and Spock frequently are, they're standing away from them talking to each other. When Spock looks at a monitor, it's most often into his scanner aperture. If the overhead monitors were actually regularly in use (not to mention squarely in the field of view of the operators when seated, but that's another story), then they might be fairly counted. But they're not. A lot of the time, they're just in screen-saver mode, not putting out much light.

And if this is your argument for why the bridge is dark, why aren't its lights dimmed 24/7?
Old March 22 2012, 02:15 AM   #36
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

We posted the opening teaser for "Kitumba" (until we capriciously remove it again):

Old March 22 2012, 04:17 PM   #37
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

SPIFF!!!

Of all the Phase II stories that have been floating around since the '70s, Kitumba has always been the one I wanted to see on-screen the most. I look forward to seeing how you folks have realized this story.

Also - very cool to finally see the legendary Commodore Probert.
Old March 22 2012, 04:45 PM   #38
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Mysterion wrote: View Post
SPIFF!!!

Of all the Phase II stories that have been floating around since the '70s, Kitumba has always been the one I wanted to see on-screen the most. I look forward to seeing how you folks have realized this story.

Yes, that's Andy Probert as "Commodore Probert" lurking in the background--and, of course, Gil Gerard ("Buck Rogers") as "Admiral Jack Sheehan."
Old March 22 2012, 04:56 PM   #39
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Mr. Gerard makes a pretty-good Starfleet Admiral. In just that short scene, he conveys a sense of gravitas you'd expect from a flag-rank officer.

He also seems to be quite tall. Or, perhaps Mr. Cawley is a bit short comparatively.
Old March 22 2012, 11:32 PM   #40
nightwind1
Commodore

Mysterion wrote: View Post
SPIFF!!!

Yes, that's Andy Probert as "Commodore Probert" lurking in the background--and, of course, Gil Gerard ("Buck Rogers") as "Admiral Jack Sheehan."
You could have at least named him Admiral Buck Sheehan.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 01:21 AM   #41
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

[QUOTE=nightwind1;6052978You could have at least named him Admiral Buck Sheehan. [/QUOTE]

Yes--if we wanted to look like fanboy wankers.

(Gil selected the name; he's a big fan of Marine Corps General Jack Sheehan.)
Old March 23 2012, 01:37 AM   #42
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Too cool for words!
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 06:26 AM   #43
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Any indication of when we'll get to see it, and that flashback academy episode? Was always more interested in those episodes than that Child one that we've already seen in another incarnation.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 01:44 PM   #44
Danlav05
Commander

Origins/The Protracted Man sounds good too, filling that gap in the canon.

The thing is, Phase II is almost the unmade series brought to life. Sometimes when one reads about an unmade project you think 'Aah damn, that would have been great!' What James and co are doing is killing birds with stones - doing season 4 & 5 of TOS, and Phase II, just set BEFORE The Motion Picture as opposed to after.

Also unmade TNG stories, a short story adnd TOS oncepts are being used, with completely newly written episodes from the Trek professionals.

James has been teasing the later uniforms though - the TMP and TWOK styles, so I wonder if they want to make it 7 seasons to match the 24th Century shows? It would be great! The only thing is they'll have to redo the sets completely.

Either way, I ALWAYS ALWAYS looks forward to what comes out of Port Henry NY. Alreadly with Kitumba, The Protracted Man, Mind-Sifter etc. there is a lot to look forward to!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2012, 04:55 PM   #45
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Danlav05, I'll be delighted if Phase II makes 22-26 episodes, that is, ONE season. The only real way I can see more happening would be if CBS decides this would be a better thing to run on Saturday or Friday nights than reruns or game shows. (I refuse to dignify reality shows with being 'better' than Phase II on ANY level).
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote