Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 19 2012, 02:19 AM   #1321
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Does It Get Better???

Harvey wrote: View Post
I find that season six has a lot of mediocre episodes, with an occasional moment of brilliance; the same goes for season seven. There are a few gems awaiting you ("Pathfinder" and "Life Line"), but I don't think there's a stretch of episodes in the penultimate season as strong as the four that open it.
I agree and disagree.
Yes, I find much of the middle of both seasons lackluster but I found eps. like "Pathfinder" and "Life Line" the lowest of the low. They reek of TPTB being so desperate to make larger ratings numbers by using star power. Instead of using those eps. for what they should have done, start writing again for the characters they already had like Tuvok, Chakotay or Neelix. Why give reaccurring parts to characters that aren't part of the show, when you have perfectly good ones in need of further development in the existing main cast?
Old March 19 2012, 02:55 AM   #1322
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Sorry if this question seems silly, but I keep seeing the acronym TPTB used by people on this site, and I'm not sure what it means. Could someone please tell me? Thanks!
Old March 19 2012, 02:59 AM   #1323
22 Stars
Commodore

The Powers That Be.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 02:59 AM   #1324
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

The People To Blame
The Powers That Be
The Paramount Top Brass

Pick any or all of the above.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 03:04 AM   #1325
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Ah, okay. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old March 19 2012, 04:26 AM   #1326
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
^Any evidence proving that he didn't consider that?
Well he either didn't consider it, or he did consider it and decided he didn't give a damn. Quite obviously.

Barge of the Dead is one of my absolute favorite Star Trek episodes and my favorite VOY episode. I absolutely loved the concept and the execution. Its amazing how Bryan Fuller can go from writing total brilliance to total junk and back again.

Likewise, Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy is another top notch episode that managed to be very funny which isn't common for Voyager in my opinion.

As for it being a strong start (although I'd disagree and say Equinox 2 wasn't that strong), it did have 3 excellent episodes at the beginning. The rest of the season has some really excellent shows that are some of my favorite too, but is a little inconsistent. I think season 6 would have been a lot better if Ronald D. Moore had stayed and was allowed more input too. Alas, twas not to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:30 AM   #1327
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Or he knew that it was a non-issue...but hey, let's not give Sisko any benefit of the doubt, because it's much more dramatic to just say he poisoned a planet than it is to pay any attention to the details.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:03 AM   #1328
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Give me some details?

Do they beat

fFrom TNG Homesoil...

LUISA: What we're doing is so exciting, so inspiring. We take a lifeless planet and little by little transform it into an M class environment, capable of supporting life. Terraforming makes you feel a little god-like. The first phase involves selecting the planet. That's very important. It must have the right mass and gravity, the correct rate of rotation, and a balanced day and night. The planet must also be without life or the prospect of life developing naturally. The Federation determines if that's so. Then, we take over. This station is phase two. Phase Three involves water. Usually we create basins using hydraulic landscaping, but the water on this planet is subsurface, and extremely high in salt content. We are just about to begin pumping and filtering the water, removing the salt, oxygenating and replacing. Next, we introduce micro-organisms, and when the process is complete eventually, we'll have a lush, arable, biosphere.
Sisko Teraformed a planet that had life on it.

Just like the klingons wanted to do with Genesis.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:04 AM   #1329
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Let's be realistic here. It was a fairly new colony and I highly doubt all the flora and fauna had been catalogued, and Sisko had time to do an environmental impact report.
Old March 19 2012, 05:13 AM   #1330
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

exactly.

He didn't have time, so he used that 'weapon' illegally.

Sisko somehow thought that he had to react ''now" to be the big man, when he could have been the bigger man and just walked away... Then came back with a fleet in a few days and police the frakk out of those terrorists.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:31 AM   #1331
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
I really hope that the events of this episode are referenced again, but I won't hold my breath.
If you read that Ronald D. Moore interview, you'll see he was really adamant that this episode would have a major impact on B'Ellana/her relationship etc.
Old March 19 2012, 12:48 PM   #1332
AdmiralScreed
Captain

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
I really hope that the events of this episode are referenced again, but I won't hold my breath.
If you read that Ronald D. Moore interview, you'll see he was really adamant that this episode would have a major impact on B'Ellana/her relationship etc.
I actually avoided that part of it because I didn't want to read any spoilers about Barge of the Dead, but now that I've seen it I can go back and read the rest.
Old March 19 2012, 11:54 PM   #1333
tighr
Commodore

I actually avoided that part of it because I didn't want to read any spoilers about Barge of the Dead, but now that I've seen it I can go back and read the rest.
The sad thing about Barge of the Dead is that it could have been even better, but RDM walked out during production. It still ended up being a good B'Elanna story, but TBTB stuck their fingers in the pot. RDM didn't like that.

Who knows what awesome episodes in seasons 6 and 7 we could have gotten had RDM stayed on board.
Old March 20 2012, 05:39 PM   #1334
Lord Manitou
Commander

I didn't doubt a moment B'Ellana would live through her wake-dream ordeal in sick-bay. With the doctor and Tom and the captain watching every moment. There she meets Kayless and the 'first' Klingon and she has another argument with her mother. It's one of the few shows that seems so un-immaginative.
In "Tinker, Tailor, Doctor,Spy the doctor asks for more power and sub-programs for his already affluent program. This he receives but only because of Janeway's generosity.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2012, 02:04 PM   #1335
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Alice: Terrific performances from the cast coupled with a totally pointless story made for something watchable but not all that enjoyable.
4/10

Riddles: A fun episode that explores the relationship between Neelix and Tuvok. I always enjoy seeing Tuvok act out of character, so seeing the "new" Tuvok was a lot of fun. Neelix was also enjoyable, and I really liked the way he looked after Tuvok.
In many ways, Neelix's and Tuvok's relationship reminds me a lot of Spongebob and Squidward's relationship, for those of you who are familiar with that show. Just a fun little observation.
8/10