Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 18 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

JOHN CARTER movie fans already demanding a sequel

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...ng-for-sequel/

Fans of the new John Carter film take heart — there is a new Facebook group calling on Disney to have faith in the franchise and move forward with a sequel. The group is spreading their message on Twitter, encouraging fans of the film to retweet the message and to join the Facebook group...

The Facebook page is called Take me back to Barsoom! I want ‘John Carter’ to have a sequel!
John Carter isn't going to make enough money for a sequel. I can't help think this is just wishful thinking from those fans.

Disney really screwed the pooch with the huge budget they gave to the movie and the terrible marketing.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: JOHN CARTER movie fans already demanding a sequel

Dream wrote: View Post
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...ng-for-sequel/

Fans of the new John Carter film take heart — there is a new Facebook group calling on Disney to have faith in the franchise and move forward with a sequel. The group is spreading their message on Twitter, encouraging fans of the film to retweet the message and to join the Facebook group...

The Facebook page is called Take me back to Barsoom! I want ‘John Carter’ to have a sequel!
John Carter isn't going to make enough money for a sequel. I can't help think this is just wishful thinking from those fans.

Disney really screwed the pooch with the huge budget they gave to the movie and the terrible marketing.
Oh, internet fandom... you silly geese you...

If you want your sequel, spend less time on Facebook and more time buying LOTS AND LOTS of DVDs. Cash is the only way it's going to get made.
Old March 19 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Harvey
Admiral

Home video is too late in the profit stream for the film's sequel chances to be strongly influenced. No, if fans want a sequel, they're best best would be for each of them to buy hundreds of tickets per day. ()

It's nice that they're passionate, but a sequel ain't happening. The movie will quietly turn a profit on television, and audiences will move onto the next thing.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Home video is too late in the profit stream for the film's sequel chances to be strongly influenced. No, if fans want a sequel, they're best best would be for each of them to buy hundreds of tickets per day. ()
Agreed. I was just thinking about the last time internet nerddom succeeded, I was thinking of Serenity, which was made based on the success of the DVDs.

Of course, that was also made for 30 million dollars--which would pay for how many tharks? And also, "underperformed" at the box office.

Anyway...

It's nice that they're passionate, but a sequel ain't happening. The movie will quietly turn a profit on television, and audiences will move onto the next thing.
You mean, The Avengers? Prometheus? The Dark Knight Rises? 21 Jumpstreet?
Old March 19 2012, 01:24 AM   #5
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Actually, while very unlikely, I don't think a sequel is completely impossible. Movies such as Tron, The Thing, Highlander, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Blade Runner have all gotten theatrical sequels/prequels (or are about to) despite being financial disappointments in their day. If John Carter manages to build a huge fanbase via home video, a sequel is not completely out of the question. And since any sequel would have to take place at least 10 years after the bulk of John Carter part 1, it doesn't even have to happen very soon.

As I said, it's highly unlikely, but one can always hope.
Old March 19 2012, 01:40 AM   #6
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Movies such as Tron, The Thing, Highlander, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Blade Runner have all gotten theatrical sequels/prequels (or are about to) despite being financial disappointments in their day.
Three of those (Tron, The Thing, and Blade Runner) were given sequels nearly 30 years afterward because of the rise of 80's nostalgia and for an audience who grew up on this stuff. With Riddick, it's getting a sequel because Vin Diesil is back in the spotlight for a spell. Highlander? I don't know. Maybe because Sean Connery said yes?
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Fans are always demanding sequels. We John Carter fans have already proven ourselves to be too financially insignificant for Disney to care what we think. There won't be a sequel.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:21 AM   #8
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

John Carter won't get a sequel because Disney spent money equal to the GDP of ten African countries put together on one single movie that has no star power or cultural significance. If they would have reigned in the budget of the movie to a $150 million-ish, and got a $50 million opening weekend here in the States, then yes, we could have by a long stretch gotten a sequel. At this point am thinking they should have made a Tarzan or Dracula movie with half the price and gotten back their money quickly.

EDIT: Or maybe this will be the *NEW* Firefly? Whence fans are still demanding a continuation?

Nah, don't think so.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 09:06 AM   #9
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Kelso wrote: View Post
We John Carter fans have already proven ourselves to be too financially insignificant for Disney to care what we think.
Chances are most potential John Carter fans haven't even seen the movie yet.
Old March 19 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Youchie! John Carter expected loss: $200M!

In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31.
Time for a bake sale?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

Given the cost of tickets, I wouldn't be surprised if their theme park division made back that "loss" in a matter of days (the movie is still going to break even on television, where theatrical features have made most of their money for a long time).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 10:54 PM   #12
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I know!

Let the fans gather up money to make the sequel!

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 03:11 AM   #13
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Given the cost of tickets, I wouldn't be surprised if their theme park division made back that "loss" in a matter of days (the movie is still going to break even on television, where theatrical features have made most of their money for a long time).
This is a disaster for the studio. They don't expect to make a significant amount of it back on DVD sales, either.

Biggest write-down on a single feature, ever.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 03:14 AM   #14
23skidoo
Admiral

On the one hand, yeah, it sounds a bit unlikely that John Carter would rate a sequel.

On the other hand, Starship Troopers is up to, what, 3 movies now? And there've been a number of other underperforming or straight bomb films that have received sequels. If there's a perceived demand someone could well do a direct-to-video sequel.

Now if you're expecting a sequel with similar production values, cast and so forth, I wouldn't hold my breath for THAT.

But otherwise, yeah, I have to agree the days of failed movies being able to recoup their losses in DVD is over. That said, I plan to buy it when it comes out because it looks half-decent, but I won't be going to see it because it's in 3-D. Unfortunately, as a 3-D opponent, I can't look to John Carter as any sort of "I told you so" or "Finally the bubble bursts" scenario as it's pretty clear it would have bombed regardless. That said, if Disney takes a real bath it might mean more investment in 2-D and less in 3-D as they work to make back the lost revenue as 3-D is still the more expensive option, at least for live action (I assume it doesn't make a difference in animation). Which, granted, is probably only the equivalent of a few month's gate admission to the theme parks...

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 03:16 AM   #15
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i enjoyed John Carter, but i don't ever expect a sequel. for fans to demand a sequel to a film that lost over $200 million dollars is not logical.