Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 19 2012, 06:46 AM   #1471
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Yeah, but who's gonna do that without a car? Daryl's the only one with wilderness survival skills, but he knows that Rick was telling the truth because he figured out that Shane was lying about Randall from the tracks. Woods are full of walkers. No one wants to face that. Plus, as Andrea said, Shane's "presentation" was off. The group perceived him as more dangerous. Hasn't Rick earned a little good will once they've had a good night's sleep and maybe the shock wears off? Just playing devil's advocate. I love the dynamic the show has set up for next season.

I have a hard time believing that the writers won't temper Rick just a little bit. The television audience isn't the comics audience. A long term protagonist can't be pushed competely past the point of no return and keep a huge portion of audience. I could be completely wrong, but does anyone else agree? I'm curious. If Rick's pushed past the point of no return morally, then they've written themselves into a real corner.
I think he will back down a bit in the morning. He has to do something semi useful though. Seriously, he lured the herd to the house then got Jimmy killed then took off with only herschel. He's as useless as ever.

What the hell was he doing all afternoon waiting on the road anyway? did it not occur to him to try and syphon gas for his tank?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:51 AM   #1472
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Well, I think the past 2 seasons have provided enough evidence that these people have no real survival skills like scavenging or time management.
Old March 19 2012, 06:56 AM   #1473
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Well, I think the past 2 seasons have provided enough evidence that these people have no real survival skills like scavenging or time management.
I seriously don't know how they've survived this long
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:59 AM   #1474
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

They probably did siphon gas. Who knows how long they'd been driving after they took off? They don't have a trunk full of gas cans. I don't know how you can blame him for luring the herd to the house. Was he supposed to run into the walker infested woods with Carl? They didn't have much time to consider options. The cars were at the house.

EDIT--if that was the spot where they originally lost Sophia, they'd already siphoned the gas from those cars. It's not like some walker is going to stagger along and fill them up.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; March 19 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 10:10 AM   #1475
Ryan
Commodore

Eh, there are mitigating circumstances. None of them are stepping up.
Uh, everyone was fighting back against Rick.

I'm not sure how it was ever decided Rick was the "leader". Daryl seems far better suited for it. Even Glenn is smarter than Rick when he's not hampered by a group.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 10:24 AM   #1476
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

1) Wow that was epic

2) I hope Rick doesn't become Shane, he needed to die for a reason

3) I don't get why people are hating on Lori. She had a perfectly understandable reaction to what Rick told her. He said he wanted him dead, that he knew it was coming and let it because he wanted to kill him. The part about Shane trying to kill him first was barely mentioned.
Old March 19 2012, 01:17 PM   #1477
Disruptor
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Rick explained himself...poorly. He should've said he thought Jenner was mental. Also, that Shane was gonna shoot him.
Rick did say he thought Jenner was mental. Twice.
You expect me to pay attention to the ravings of guy who keeps big secrets from the group and murdered his best friend?

(Yeah, I noticed rewatching.)

He shouldn't have told them Jenner told him at all, instead just lept to that conclusion "on his own". "Wow, Rick, you are insightful. Maybe everyone is infected."

Noise in the woods.

1. Michonne and Andrea caught up to them...somehow.
2. Walker
3. Deer, someone will see it and get shot, that's how every season will open, with someone getting shot.
4. Prison folks
5. Shane's ghost that only Rick can see....Bernthal was a good cast member they wanted him back.
6. Mountain men, and...they think Rick's got a purty mouth.
7. The African American guy and his son from the pilot, they someone caught up with Rick.
8. Ted McGinley, to ruin the show.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 01:50 PM   #1478
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I'd say that it isn't just a matter of turing that's the mental problem: it's the weight of already being sick. Even if you don't feel the effects (and who knows what those might be long term), the illusion that your body is un-corrupt until you're bitten is now gone.

And I am officially done with Lori. the character is internally inconsistent to the extent that it brought the excellent finale down every time she opened her mouth. I don't blame the actress. It's the writing. What looked like a good Macbeth plot, where she urges Rick to action and then sets Shane up for a confrontation? Apparently it wasn't that at all: Lori just needs to say something stupid and paradoxical in each and every episode.
Old March 19 2012, 01:59 PM   #1479
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Ryan wrote: View Post
Rick isn't an asshole.
I'm pretty sure declaring yourself a despot makes you an asshole.
He's not declared himself a despot, he's declared himself a tyrant in the truest, original sense of the word. Which is exactly what they need to survive. All that debating and back and forth over what to do left them more worried about members of the group than the fact the dead are trying to eat them.
Old March 19 2012, 02:11 PM   #1480
Disruptor
Commodore

Tyrant? Like in Resident Evil. Rick's gonna be a mutant monster.

Back to "everyone is infected". Again, at the start of the season, dead bodies on the road and in cars that weren't walkers. (Carl finds some knives in one car with a corpse that IIRC, didn't have a head wound.)

I'm thinking they died before the infection spread to the living.

Why does T Dog think the east coast is a good idea? Let's hear more about that. Live on a boat?
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 02:19 PM   #1481
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I say that Rick did not tell them for two reasons: 1. Jenner was acting all kinds of crazy. While a scientist, he had given up hope and was ready to die. Rick may not have fully trusted that Jenner was lucid. 2. Why destroy the group's hope if you don't know for sure?

That explains him wanting to hang Randall. You hang him and wait. If he reanimates without being bitten then you know for sure. He is suspended from the rafters away from poeple. You can then shoot him from a safe distance.

I am glad that he lost his shit with the group. I wanted to reach through the TV and stangle Lori. She practically begged him to kill Shane not too long ago.

I love that Daryl and Hershel were ready to hang on. Daryl is a loyal ole dog, and Hershel has accepted that he might be out of his depth.

I can understand T-Dawg wanted to head out. That was traumatic, even condsidering all they have been through.

I must say that Andrea's reprieve was all kinds of creepy. The lack of arms just sent shudders through my being.
Old March 19 2012, 02:22 PM   #1482
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I love how they drift away from the comic book storyline and then how they get back in line. That's one of the awesomest parts of the show.
I wonder what would David Morrissey (sp?) look like... I can't picture him as a weaker version of Danny Trejo!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 03:13 PM   #1483
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

So if they're already infected shouldn't a zombie bite not be so fatal?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 03:30 PM   #1484
Tom
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
So if they're already infected shouldn't a zombie bite not be so fatal?
Even though they are all infected the pathogen strain is passive until the moment of death, then it becomes active. When they are are bit by a zombie, it's active strain passes to the victim thus causing the victim to die. Medically speaking this does happen in nature with various viruses that have dorment/active stages.

Last edited by Tom; March 19 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 03:42 PM   #1485
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Everyone at work here watched the finale last night. We were talking about it on coffee break.

He shouldn't have told them Jenner told him at all, instead just lept to that conclusion "on his own". "Wow, Rick, you are insightful. Maybe everyone is infected."
No, he shouldn't have. Rick was making many mistakes because of stress, sleep deprivation, and guilt. He does feel guilty for killing Shane and it shows in the way he told Lori and the group. That's what intrigues. There is still a soul in there though he's ready to crack. With Otis, Shane flat out lied. Rick didn't sugar coat, even when it would have benefitted him. Shane was "pushing me, pushing me." He should have emphasized more how dangerous Shane was. Shane did what he did to impress Lori and get her and Carl back. Rick always acted for the group, or at least he tried to do so.

That's the difference. At least that was my main desk clerk's interpretation and I agree with her. We all agreed that Lori could have put an end to the group's fear of Rick's possible future actions if she'd admitted that Shane tried to rape her at the CDC and she had to fight him off her. No one would have trusted Shane from then on, but no....she's mourning him. That woman is twisted. What other point in that flashback from the day Rick got shot in the earlier episode? She craves drama. She's not a good wife. She went all Lady MacBeth and then resented Rick for not playing the role of the good, non violent loyal lapdog.

Good thing for Rick that Daryl figured out what happened with Shane because of the tracks. At any rate, though the writers are crap with Lori (seriously Kirkman, she was mad at herself? ) they've set the Rick thing up so intriguingly for season 3. Who doesn't want to know what's going on with him? The one thing that worries me is the sword and sorcery character with the subued pet zombies. Seems jarringly out of place in this universe.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote