Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 15 2012, 03:32 PM   #181
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Oooh... good catch.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 09:36 PM   #182
Warped9
Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Hence the large viewport
Or perhaps just a large area of anti-glare black, in which we find the relatively small actual forward viewport...

http://tas.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...weapon_013.JPG

...which doesn't extend to the sides after all?

http://tas.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...weapon_014.JPG

Timo Saloniemi
When I try to go to those links all I get is a "forbidden" message.
Old March 15 2012, 09:45 PM   #183
Redfern
Commodore

It's to prevent "hot linking". Just add a question mark to the right of the field as displayed in the URL field and hit the "enter" key. the image will display pretty as you please. (Odd expression: "pretty as you please". Why not "ugly as I despise"? )

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 09:51 PM   #184
Redfern
Commodore

Flubbed post; never mind.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 12:20 PM   #185
Timo
Admiral

...Really, the shape of the forward viewing thing might even suggest that there are no portholes of any sort on the shuttle - just fancy black paint on a solid hull. After all, the viewer appears to be nearly vertical, rather tall, and fails to reveal any of the long and pointed nose even when the "camera" is set relatively high. So, a viewscreen rather than a windshield?

(That would go nicely with your idea that the craft is of Vulcan descent, considering the number of Vulcan shuttles that lack windshields.)

The alternative interpretation is that we see a wraparound windshield corresponding to the external shape - but it is well separated from Sulu's console, perhaps more than a meter ahead of it, and the perspective of the animation isn't picture-perfect... That is, there are side sections to the windshield, but even those are far ahead of Sulu's position and merely allow him a view to lower forward quarters.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 08:39 PM   #186
Warped9
Admiral

I'm not prepared to fool around with the model as it stands now, but I can see myself tackling this again down the road. And at that point I could see myself making the viewport smaller or at least more narrow.

Also an actual viewport doesn't negate having a forward view screen. The materiel could actually serve as both much like a highly sophisticated HUD.
Old March 18 2012, 07:30 PM   #187
Warped9
Admiral

A look at the modified antigrav housing affixed underneath. This addresses the obvious lack of an impulse drive which I couldn't add to the design without drastically altering its familiar appearance. And yet it's unobtrusive since it's in a little seen spot and mostly obscured by the rear landing struts (which are forthcoming).

Old March 18 2012, 09:06 PM   #188
The Axeman
Commodore

nice work, not the easiest piece to build.
Old March 19 2012, 12:51 AM   #189
Warped9
Admiral

Triangular indentation, forward navigational deflector (gold), aft access hatch, antigrav housing, forward viewport and service access panels in place. Next up are the landing struts and warp nacelles.

Beginnings of the warp nacelle.

Last edited by Warped9; March 19 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:50 AM   #190
BK613
Captain

This keeps getting better and better.
Old March 19 2012, 05:04 AM   #191
Warped9
Admiral

I'm calling it a night even though I'm in the middle of shaping the aft nacelle cowling with the distinctive corrugated surfacing. Oh, lots of fun...

For some it may look odd that I'm only working on half the ship, but it's actually easier to do just the one side then duplicate and reverse and then put the two symmetrically identical halves together. Then I can add what few asymmetrical details afterward..
Old March 19 2012, 11:19 AM   #192
BK613
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm calling it a night even though I'm in the middle of shaping the aft nacelle cowling with the distinctive corrugated surfacing. Oh, lots of fun...
the first time i built a nacelle i started with a cylinder. lots of repetitive work that way. The second time i needed to make a nacelle, i had just become aware of the copy functions of the rotate tool.
-I created a pie slice with just one corrugated "tongue" on the end, rotated copies of it into place to create the end-cap cross-section (remember to use the multiply function as well), cleaned out all the lines inside so there was just one surface, and extruded that surface.
-Grouped that temporarily, created a shape with the s-curve, intersected the two, deleted the unwanted parts of the shape, exploded the group, and deleted the back end of the end-cap.
For some it may look odd that I'm only working on half the ship, but it's actually easier to do just the one side then duplicate and reverse and then put the two symmetrically identical halves together. Then I can add what few asymmetrical details afterward..
The smart way to do it.
Old March 19 2012, 12:22 PM   #193
Warped9
Admiral

I have copies of the construction drawings of the TOS shuttlecraft so I have a pattern for the corrugated surface to work from. I started with the first curvatures, rotated two of those 6 degrees until I had thirty degrees of curvatures, than copied and rotated those twice until I had 90 degrees (or a quarter of the cylinder), copied and rotated that once 90 degrees to make a half cylinder, then finally copied and rotated that 180 degrees to make the whole cylinder. Once I got going it went pretty fast. I left it at that last night and I'm left with cutting the distinctive curved end shape which I'll do this evening after work.

The rest of the cylinder was easy since it doesn't have an inboard trench like the Enterprise's nacelles. I simply made a silhouette of half the nacelle lengthwise (minus the aft cowl) and rotated it 360 degrees. Done.

Knowing what tools you have and what they can do go a long way. Even so once in awhile you hit something that requires tedious work.

Looking ahead the aft landing struts are going to be...interesting.
Old March 19 2012, 01:22 PM   #194
BK613
Captain

I have copies of the construction drawings of the TOS shuttlecraft so I have a pattern for the corrugated surface to work from. I started with the first curvatures, rotated two of those 6 degrees until I had thirty degrees of curvatures, than copied and rotated those twice until I had 90 degrees (or a quarter of the cylinder), copied and rotated that once 90 degrees to make a half cylinder, then finally copied and rotated that 180 degrees to make the whole cylinder. Once I got going it went pretty fast. I left it at that last night and I'm left with cutting the distinctive curved end shape which I'll do this evening after work.
there is a multiply function with the move and rotate copies. Say my pie section is 10 degrees, so I need 36 total pie sections for a full circle. I rotate my first copy into place and click to place it. Then I type in 35x for the 35 copies including the one i just made and it will rotate them into place for you. Uses the offsets of the first copy to place the following ones, one after another. Works great for creating fan blades inside nacelles too.
Old March 19 2012, 01:27 PM   #195
Warped9
Admiral

BK613 wrote: View Post
there is a multiply function with the move and rotate copies. Say my pie section is 10 degrees, so I need 36 total pie sections for a full circle. I rotate my first copy into place and click to place it. Then I type in 35x for the 35 copies including the one i just made and it will rotate them into place for you. Uses the offsets of the first copy to place the following ones, one after another. Works great for creating fan blades inside nacelles too.
Awesome! Thanks!

Of course I'm keeping a copy of this pattern for future use. No point having to repeat myself down the road if not necessary. I still want to tackle the other shuttlecraft designs sometime.