New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 19 2012, 02:42 AM   #691
xortex
Commodore

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

The Weyland clip is awesome - maybe he's a replicant/synthetic or a trans Human, but the rest is turning into a mish-mash of a little bit of everything and too much horror for me. I thought he was going to veer away from that into Blade Runner territory. The supernatural is fine but does it have to be gory? It seems to be painted by the numbers and not have a strong thematic concept to it. 'We went to find our beginning, but may have found our end' is so cliche. The dialogue is not thrilling me.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:04 AM   #692
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Agree to disagree.
Old March 19 2012, 04:37 AM   #693
JD
Admiral

Each trailer has been better than the last. Looks great to me.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:12 AM   #694
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

So this is like AvP, but better?
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:51 AM   #695
xortex
Commodore

More like 'Jaws' if the shark was a supernatural alien god. Layering mystery on top of mystery. It's too Star Gatey..
Old March 19 2012, 06:20 AM   #696
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

this trailer is less than a day old and already has over 1,000,000 views.
this one looks good. (sorry if its already posted)
Old March 19 2012, 06:26 AM   #697
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

xortex wrote: View Post
More like 'Jaws' if the shark was a supernatural alien god. Layering mystery on top of mystery. It's too Star Gatey..
Oh, how things have changed. Just a few short months ago you didn't think the whole god thing was too bad of an idea and you liked that there would be some questions and the potential for follow up material. And now, you know "that Lost guy" helped write the movie and it's been all down hill for you ever since.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:37 AM   #698
Hyperspace05
Commodore

xortex wrote: View Post
Yeah because Stargates "aliens visiting Earth in our past history" was a wholly original concept, wasn't it?

If someone calls themselves fans of science fiction, and does not get chills watching the imagery in these trailers... Then one has to ask... What do you actually like?
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:52 AM   #699
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Or as Morden said it, "What do you want?"
Old March 19 2012, 07:32 AM   #700
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

That something billed, on any level, as an Alien prequel would be expected to veer away from horror is - well - puzzling.

That said, in retrospect, the buzz from last year or so, reputedly from reliable sources (i.e., from Scott himself) and to the effect that Prometheus would not be a true Alien prequel, now pretty clearly seem exactly like disinformation, perhaps for the purpose of misdirecting to get maximum surprise and enthusiasm upon seeing this trailer.

I'm rather encouraged by how much the 1979 film seems to be having an influence on practically everything shown in the trailer.

That said, I'm only cautiously optimistic. Part of the angst and charm of the 1979 film is in the derelict, and the story behind how the Nostromo came to be sent to the then unnamed planet, both being mysteries. There is additionally a risk that, when details are painted in, they will not live up to the inevitably rather high expectations. Generally speaking, any new film can disappoint, but most especially when the expectations are that a film will be the most awesome experience in theaters ever. I say this mainly from having been disappointed before. I'm thinking of you, The Phantom Menace.

I hope for the best, but in any case, I'll certainly be more than satisfied if this is better than both Alien 3 and Resurrection.
Old March 19 2012, 10:32 AM   #701
Mage
Commodore

I loved the trailers, both of them. However, it seems as if the biggest part of the movie has been told in the trailer. Why they are going out there, something there wants to go to Earth for a bad thing, we see what looks like the Derelict and the Pilot, we see Prometheus crashing into it as if it wants to prevent it from reaching Earth. It gives the distinct impression that this ship is indeed the Derelict from Alien, and this planet is LV426, that this ship carries Eggs.
Old March 19 2012, 02:48 PM   #702
Caligula
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I hope for the best, but in any case, I'll certainly be more than satisfied if this is better than both Alien 3 and Resurrection.
Anything that can negate the awful theatrical experience I had with Alien 3 would be awesome. But that's the bare minimum, and I anticipate more than just the bare minimum after seeing this trailer.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:04 PM   #703
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
I loved the trailers, both of them. However, it seems as if the biggest part of the movie has been told in the trailer. Why they are going out there, something there wants to go to Earth for a bad thing, we see what looks like the Derelict and the Pilot, we see Prometheus crashing into it as if it wants to prevent it from reaching Earth. It gives the distinct impression that this ship is indeed the Derelict from Alien, and this planet is LV426, that this ship carries Eggs.
Yeah they do seem to be showing us a lot, but this is one case where I'm actually less interested in the story itself than in how Scott executes the story.

After all, the original Alien didn't have the most original or unique story either. It was really the incredible atmosphere and gritty sense of detail that makes that movie so memorable, and I'm hoping that's the same case here.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:36 PM   #704
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Forbes has an interesting article today:

With the exception of the occasional gem, like Children of Men in 2006, science fiction has been nothing if not predictable, derivative, and—as with the latest multi-million dollar sci-fi flop, John Carter—boring.

That’s why Ridley Scott’s return to the genre is so noteworthy.

What is clear, if nothing else, is that Prometheus holds the promise of reinvigoration for a genre that desperately needs it.
Sci-Fi Needs Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" to be More than a Big Movie

says a little but should say a lot more... weak but the article had potential.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:57 PM   #705
xortex
Commodore

Disbelief can be a good or bad thing depending on if it's suspended or not. The set up and pay off for Aliens raised more questions than it answered. I fear this is gonna answer more questions than it raises.