RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,673
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 584
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 18 2012, 07:14 AM   #1111
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
I love the story, and the universe, and there are some aspects of it that I really think are even superior to Star Trek. And for me being pretty much raised with Kirk, Picard, and the others as proxy babysitters, that's saying a lot.
I feel similarly, I adore the ME universe. Even with all the annoyances in ME1, I loved the game because of the universe it took place in. I've waited my whole life for a Star Trek game that truly managed to capture what makes that franchise so special to me, and the only games that came close in all that time were the Mass Effect series. And don't even get me started on how much I love the characters, let's just say that if Garrus were a real person I would finally join Facebook just to friend him. And from that perspective, ME3 is a triumph. There are some absolutely wonderful moments with the main characters, some which may even bring you to tears, and you get to visit the homeworlds of almost all the major races. The decisions you make through most of the game are huge, the fates of entire civilisations are in your hands.

Just be aware that the ending is so poorly received among fans that the final enemy in the game, a lowly marauder, is considered a hero by the fanbase because he tried to prevent us from getting to the ending. Never forget Marauder Shields, we should have heeded his warning.

Last edited by TheGodBen; March 18 2012 at 07:35 AM.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 07:28 AM   #1112
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Is the ending as terrible as I've heard?
There's another thread with more detail, but yes the ending is pretty bad. There are plot holes, and not the sort of nitpicks only overly obsessive fans might notice, but the type that will make even the most casual player go . Characters wind up in places they couldn't possibly be. It's a mess.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 02:30 PM   #1113
Steven
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Steven wrote: View Post
Question about having Javik along for the Thessia mission...

I'm not going to go into too much detail, just because I think it's better to experience it for yourself, but...

Okay then, I'll keep that in mind for the next play through. Thanks!
Old March 18 2012, 06:47 PM   #1114
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Another great Datapad message!
Garrus wrote:
Congrats on being the Galactic Champion of Bottle Shooting. When the bottles rise and attack, we'll know who to turn to.
My first import was a mostly-Paragon MaleShep who let Garrus win, but my current mostly-Renegade FemShep couldn't resist showing Garrus that he sometimes runs his mouth a little too much.

My FemShep quite likes this one...
Samantha Traynor wrote:
Thanks for the shower. Oddly, I'm still feeling kind of dirty...

Last edited by PsychoPere; March 18 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added second Datapad message.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 10:37 PM   #1115
Mr Light
Admiral

^^ I did that last one with FemShep. That was awesome

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 10:38 PM   #1116
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Sounds complicated. Do I have to unplug my old hard drive from my old 360 and plug it into the new one and do something then unplug it and put in the new one? What if I don't have the old one anymore? It's too much work man :sobs:
There's also a process to transfer saves from http://www.masseffect2saves.com to the 360 with a bit of work. That's probably the best way to do it if you are really invested in playing the game with choices that you'd want.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:17 AM   #1117
Mr Light
Admiral

I think it's interesting that all the playable characters are only from the original game, aside from EDI. I wonder what made that decision, when ME2 was so popular?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:44 AM   #1118
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I think it's interesting that all the playable characters are only from the original game, aside from EDI. I wonder what made that decision, when ME2 was so popular?
It probably has to do with the ability to wipe out your entire squad in ME2. This way they're guaranteed at least four playable characters in the squad.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 09:09 AM   #1119
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Yup.. the game makes background decisions if it doesn't have ME2 and 1 saves in the system and that's not always how the player would have chosen leading to some strange results and events that happen totally different for each player.

A friend of mine and me compared certain missions and we were both surprised how they diverged in some important points or characters that were present or not.

My game apparently assumed that i near killed everybody in the final mission in ME2 as i almost didn't encounter anybody from the second game
Old March 19 2012, 07:35 PM   #1120
superdeluxe
Captain

Many of the ones I've read, I get the distinct impression that they feel the ending was a personal stab in the back directed solely at them.
That is because it was a stab in the back not to the player, but more like a stab in the back of SHepard.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 08:44 PM   #1121
superdeluxe
Captain

Posted in the spoiler thread:

Amazon is allowing people who bought ME 3 from them to be able to send the game back for a full refund, even if the game was opened!

http://igogaming.net/2012/03/19/fans...-full-refunds/

Old March 19 2012, 09:06 PM   #1122
Skywalker
Admiral

Eh. I got my copy of ME3 from Amazon, but no matter how much I might hate the ending, I loved the rest of the game too much to want to send it back.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 09:34 PM   #1123
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I hate the ending too, but there's still plenty of game there to enjoy. I'd only return a game if it was unplayable. Same for any entertainment media really. If a book's binding falls to pieces after a few day, or if a DVD won't play, or arrives damaged then yes, I'd take it back. But never because I didn't enjoy the story. Hell, I have a small stack of DVDs I wish I'd never bothered with, but that's my own damn fault.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 06:03 PM   #1124
John Clark
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Eh. I got my copy of ME3 from Amazon, but no matter how much I might hate the ending, I loved the rest of the game too much to want to send it back.
Heard about that. Wonder how many people will send it back?

I know I won't be because even if I hate the ending, I've enjoyed up to where I am currently.
Old March 20 2012, 07:54 PM   #1125
superdeluxe
Captain

Apparently EA is offering refunds for customers in the UK from Origin, if they claim False Advertising, folks on BSN are trying to find out if it applies to the US as well:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/10302791/1

This is huge, basically it would admit that EA/Bioware knew the game had a potential to be false advertising and trying to stave off a lawsuit?