CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 17 2012, 02:16 AM   #1096
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Sounds complicated. Do I have to unplug my old hard drive from my old 360 and plug it into the new one and do something then unplug it and put in the new one? What if I don't have the old one anymore? It's too much work man :sobs:

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2012, 03:31 AM   #1097
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It depends. Is your old Xbox dead? If so, did you replace it with one of the new slim models? If not, just plug the old HD and the USB stick into the new console, transfer the saves to the USB stick, turn off the Xbox, plug in the new HD and transfer the saves over from the USB. It shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes. Here's a guide on how to transfer the files.

If your new console is one of the slim ones then it's considerably more complicated and probably involves a screwdriver, if it's even possible at all.
Old March 17 2012, 03:35 AM   #1098
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm already like 12 hours into the game, though. I'm not gonna start over at this point. But thanks

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2012, 10:43 PM   #1099
ares93
Commodore

Gotta tell ya, i never though this game could be any batter than ME2, because that was a masterpiece. But bloody hell, this game is epic.

Although, I gotta say that I'm slightly afraid of logging on to fanfiction.net right now. I don't want to know what they can cock, pardon... cook up with the EDI/Joker pairing...
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 02:36 AM   #1100
Kaziarl
Commodore

So, I'm looking at being able to get ME3 towards the end of the month, or early April. But I was curious about something. Is the ending as terrible as I've heard? I mean, granted, I have learned a long time ago to take internet complaints with a grain of salt and just find out for myself, which I will, but I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. And you don't have to worry about spoilers on my behalf, so be as open as you like.
Old March 18 2012, 02:47 AM   #1101
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The vast majority of the game is quite excellent indeed - very effective, very emotional, very engaging storytelling. The game as a whole is a masterpiece of interactive fiction. The possible endings, however, are sadly underwhelming, and there are many aspects of each possible ending that can be downright perplexing in relation to other events in the game. Even with my disappointment, the game is still oh-so-very-close to being my favorite game of all time.

I bought a new iPod Touch tonight (4th generation, to replace my old 2nd generation one), and so I've installed the ME3 Datapad app.

Here a couple amusing messages I've received:
Javik wrote:
Thresher maws have gotten much bigger. Too big to ride now. A shame.
EDI wrote:
Shepard, when you have time I have another question for you. Actually, I have 1,623,058, but I'm pacing myself.

Last edited by PsychoPere; March 18 2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added Datapad messages.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 03:30 AM   #1102
Steven
Admiral

Question about having Javik along for the Thessia mission...

Also...

Old March 18 2012, 03:48 AM   #1103
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
Question about having Javik along for the Thessia mission...

I'm not going to go into too much detail, just because I think it's better to experience it for yourself, but...

Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 04:13 AM   #1104
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
But I was curious about something. Is the ending as terrible as I've heard? I mean, granted, I have learned a long time ago to take internet complaints with a grain of salt and just find out for myself, which I will, but I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. And you don't have to worry about spoilers on my behalf, so be as open as you like.
Well, if you don't want to worry about spoilers, take a gander at the "Mass Effect 3 Ending" thread we have going on.

I guess I'd say it depends on what you wanted out of the ending. If you play as renegade, you'll probably be happy. If you played as paragon, you'll probably be disappointed.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 06:04 AM   #1105
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

So, I'm looking at being able to get ME3 towards the end of the month, or early April. But I was curious about something. Is the ending as terrible as I've heard? I mean, granted, I have learned a long time ago to take internet complaints with a grain of salt and just find out for myself, which I will, but I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. And you don't have to worry about spoilers on my behalf, so be as open as you like.
I heard about the backlash to the ending too, but I put it out of my mind while playing the game and the experience was damn-near perfect. Then I finished the game. At first, I thought that it wasn't great, but it was okay. After a a couple of hours of thinking about it and reading other's opinions online, I came to the conclusion that the ending is barely even coherent.

The game is well worth playing, for the vast majority of the 40 hours I played it was an amazing experience. It's just the final 10 minutes that lets it, and the entire trilogy, down.
Old March 18 2012, 06:07 AM   #1106
HotRod
Commander

Yes, it's that bad.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 06:24 AM   #1107
The Illusive Man
LeadHead's Cerberus Title

HotRod wrote: View Post
Yes, it's that bad.
No, it's worse. And that's tough for me to say, since I'm an absolute diehard Mass Effect fan. The game itself is off the charts amazing, the ending is off the charts awful.
Old March 18 2012, 06:32 AM   #1108
Kaziarl
Commodore

I'm still going to get it anyway, I only played the first one a few months ago, and the second one shortly after that. I love the story, and the universe, and there are some aspects of it that I really think are even superior to Star Trek. And for me being pretty much raised with Kirk, Picard, and the others as proxy babysitters, that's saying a lot.

As for the backlash, like I said, I'll find out for myself soon enough. I was mainly just curious because a lot of the backlash I've seen seems, well, a little ridiculous. Many of the ones I've read, I get the distinct impression that they feel the ending was a personal stab in the back directed solely at them. I figured I'd as here because, while it is a trek board and we are all so very passionate about our various fictional obsessions, there's still usually some rationality to be found.
Old March 18 2012, 06:49 AM   #1109
throwback
Captain

Was the ending bad? Yes, it was very bad. The designers wanted an ending that would be open to speculation and interpretation. However, for the ending to work, the rules that they had created for this universe and the characters that lived in this universe had to either be contradicted or ignored.

Do I expect them to fix this situation? No. Why should they when they thought they did a good job? As of now, they are containing a situation they didn't anticipate, and hoping that the small number of disgruntled players will become discouraged and move on with their lives.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2012, 06:52 AM   #1110
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Gamers and die hard fans are sometimes hard to please, sometimes unfair to producers and sometimes they are right.

Concerning ME3 all of the above is true.. the ending is bold and everybody should judge for him/herself. I don't put much stock in fan reaction to anything because i tend to make up my own mind and found that often enough i have a different view than the majority.

I enjoyed the ending for what it was and didn't analyze it to death.. it was something unexpected and time (and maybe future DLCs) will tell if it holds up.

Enjoy the game, it is truly one of the best gaming experiences i ever had and no ending could ruin that.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote