Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 14 2012, 01:16 AM   #46
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Enterprise post tv finale relaunch

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'd like to see some 'Lost Era' type releases between ENT and TOS. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see some ENT cast make it into the TOS era either.
Especially if you follow what was in Archer and Hoshi's bios in IAMD.
Old March 15 2012, 12:13 AM   #47
Relayer1
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I'd like to see some 'Lost Era' type releases between ENT and TOS. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see some ENT cast make it into the TOS era either.
Especially if you follow what was in Archer and Hoshi's bios in IAMD.
Admiral Archer is very much alive and well in Trek 11 - no reason he shouldn't be in the Prime universe. Hoshi and T'Pol should be. I'd have thought Vulcan medicine might keep Trip alive too.

How long do Denobulans live ?
Old March 15 2012, 12:43 AM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Admiral Archer is very much alive and well in Trek 11 - no reason he shouldn't be in the Prime universe.
They never said it was Jonathan Archer. As far as we can tell from the canonical information in the film, it could've been his son or granddaughter.

Not to mention that the Abrams film was set nearly a decade before Prime-timeline TOS. If it were Jonathan, he would've been pretty damn ancient in 2257 (145 years, to be precise, which would be astonishingly old for a human of that generation). His odds of making it to the TOS era proper would be extremely slim.

And for what it's worth, the IaMD bio screen had Archer die in 2245, though I don't think that part was seen on camera.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 12:45 AM   #49
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Admiral Archer is very much alive and well in Trek 11 - no reason he shouldn't be in the Prime universe.
They never said it was Jonathan Archer. As far as we can tell from the canonical information in the film, it could've been his son or granddaughter.

Not to mention that the Abrams film was set nearly a decade before Prime-timeline TOS. If it were Jonathan, he would've been pretty damn ancient in 2257 (145 years, to be precise, which would be astonishingly old for a human of that generation). His odds of making it to the TOS era proper would be extremely slim.

And for what it's worth, the IaMD bio screen had Archer die in 2245, though I don't think that part was seen on camera.
Another fine theory scuppered by fact...

Old March 15 2012, 01:35 AM   #50
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Not by fact, since Trek is fiction.

Mike Sussman wrote the IaMD bio as an easter egg for OCD fans who recorded, paused, zoomed in and had HD. Bad Robot wrote an easter egg into the dialogue for Enterprise fans to pick up on (and they are on record saying it's meant to be the guy from Enterprise. Scott Bakula assumed it was meant to be him, too)

So.... what's more binding? Dialogue or an unintelligible screen graphic?

And, FWIW, Archer did more time travelling than anyone else in Trek!
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 10:42 AM   #51
Relayer1
Commodore

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Not by fact, since Trek is fiction.

Mike Sussman wrote the IaMD bio as an easter egg for OCD fans who recorded, paused, zoomed in and had HD. Bad Robot wrote an easter egg into the dialogue for Enterprise fans to pick up on (and they are on record saying it's meant to be the guy from Enterprise. Scott Bakula assumed it was meant to be him, too)

And, FWIW, Archer did more time travelling than anyone else in Trek!
I've always thought life expectancy in Trek is a bit low for that far in the future, and there's always the time travel aspect...

If Bad Robot say it I'll go with them.
Old March 15 2012, 03:46 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer

That's a contradictory argument. What the filmmakers said offscreen and what Mike Sussman wrote offscreen are of exactly equal canon value, i.e. none. They both come from producers and they're both offscreen information, so it makes no sense to treat one as more authoritative than the other.

In terms of onscreen, canonical information, all we actually know is that there is an Admiral Archer in 2258 and that he or she owned a beagle. We have no onscreen evidence to prove that's Jonathan Archer instead of Richard Archer or Susan Archer or Takuya Huitzilopochtli Archer III. And actuarially speaking, given what we know about life expectancy in Trek, the odds of a human born in 2112 still being alive in 2258 would be staggeringly low, so it's immensely more likely to be a different person named Archer.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 11:41 PM   #53
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

That's a contradictory argument. What the filmmakers said offscreen and what Mike Sussman wrote offscreen are of exactly equal canon value, i.e. none. They both come from producers and they're both offscreen information, so it makes no sense to treat one as more authoritative than the other.

In terms of onscreen, canonical information, all we actually know is that there is an Admiral Archer in 2258 and that he or she owned a beagle. We have no onscreen evidence to prove that's Jonathan Archer instead of Richard Archer or Susan Archer or Takuya Huitzilopochtli Archer III. And actuarially speaking, given what we know about life expectancy in Trek, the odds of a human born in 2112 still being alive in 2258 would be staggeringly low, so it's immensely more likely to be a different person named Archer.
It could easily be contradicted if it's not on screen...and possibly be contradicted even if it was !
Old March 16 2012, 08:24 PM   #54
Reanok
Commodore

I wish Micheal Martin's middle book of the Romulan war trilogy would've been published.In Shariel's jaws sounds like areally neat book.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 11:56 PM   #55
ReedEnterprise
Captain

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
- The Good That Men Do by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin: Published 2007
- Kobayashi Maru by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin: Published 2008
- The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing by Michael A. Martin: Published 2009
- The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin: Published 2011
I was wondering, are they any good?
I enjoyed them. My only problem with them is that both Romulan War books had information that was not needed in the story. I know that with To Brave the Storm it had to be wrapped up quickly. But there was still some info in there that was not needed. If you read them you will see what I mean. I though did enjoy them and am glad that I did.
And The Good that Men Do was good because it gave you a totally different perspective of "These are the Voyages". Even though I have seen it several times, after reading the book I had to go back and rewatch it thru new eyes. Made me hate the episode less.
Old March 17 2012, 12:00 AM   #56
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Reanok wrote: View Post
I wish Micheal Martin's middle book of the Romulan war trilogy would've been published.In Shariel's jaws sounds like areally neat book.
I'm sure all of that story is compressed into the final part of the duology. They are both fairly hefty novels for ST.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2012, 12:58 AM   #57
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

ReedEnterprise wrote: View Post
I enjoyed them.
Thanks for the review, ReedEnt!

If I ever finish Collision Course, I might pick them up.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 05:07 AM   #58
Janos
Commander

View Janos's Twitter Profile

So is Enterprise lit now done. No more?
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 05:11 AM   #59
Christopher