RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,857
Posts: 5,221,401
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 516
Newest member: glasssplashback

TrekToday headlines

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16 2012, 01:20 AM   #1141
MrBorg
Lieutenant Commander
 
MrBorg's Avatar
 
Location: Cube 0398, Grid 343
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Sorry for the hold up but... um... my grandmother is ill... and she wasn't able to do her regular volunteer work at the local soup kitchen... and there's a homeless guy there that's only a few months away from finding a cure for cancer. So as you can see, this little break is entirely altruistic and the fact that it coincides with the release of Mass Effect 3 is a complete coincidence.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to kick some Reaper ass... by which I mean feeding homeless people.
It seems Mass Effect 3 has ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL of TGB.
__________________
For Cardassia!
MrBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 03:33 AM   #1142
free2131
Ensign
 
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

From what I've heard online, you are gonna be VERY disappointed when you finish.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 02:14 PM   #1143
Ln X
Fleet Captain
 
Ln X's Avatar
 
Location: The great gig in the sky
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

MrBorg wrote: View Post
It seems Mass Effect 3 has ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL of TGB.
I know that feeling; I wasted most of the teenage years of my life playing first Simcity 4, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (the best turn based strategy game ever) and now Battlefield Bad Company 2. Games are addictive...
__________________
Star Trek: The Approaching Shadow...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 05:02 AM   #1144
Worf'sParmach
Commander
 
Worf'sParmach's Avatar
 
Location: Plano, TX
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine


I know that feeling; I wasted most of the teenage years of my life playing first Simcity 4, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (the best turn based strategy game ever) and now Battlefield Bad Company 2. Games are addictive...
Sim City 5 come out next year. I'm going to end up losing my job, husband and kids. But I will finally complete my goal of building the entire continental United States.
__________________
Obsessing over every detail in the Star Trek Universe since the 1990s
Check out my fanfic (pretty please ): http://www.fanfiction.net/~ginomo
Worf'sParmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 07:46 AM   #1145
Sykonee
Fleet Captain
 
Sykonee's Avatar
 
Location: West Coast of Canada
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Since this thread is semi-offrails as it is, and I don't want to wander into the Gaming forum, I may as well ask ol' GoddyBen this here.

Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
B. ENT
C. Altered ROTJ
D. ME3
__________________
DS9 Versus
Electronic Music Critic: (~)
Sykonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 08:41 AM   #1146
Ln X
Fleet Captain
 
Ln X's Avatar
 
Location: The great gig in the sky
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
Sim City 5 come out next year. I'm going to end up losing my job, husband and kids. But I will finally complete my goal of building the entire continental United States.
But it will be worth it!
__________________
Star Trek: The Approaching Shadow...

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 03:51 PM   #1147
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Since this thread is semi-offrails as it is, and I don't want to wander into the Gaming forum, I may as well ask ol' GoddyBen this here.

Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
B. ENT
C. Altered ROTJ
D. ME3

I'll go with B.

A was bad, but not horrible.
C was irritating and stupid, but hardly unexpected if you'd seen the altered earlier films.
D is not one I'm personally familiar with and is probably too recent for comment.

B, OTOH... this is a "Valentine for the fans"? Really? Which fans in particular? The fact that ENT had actually improved during its final season, and that this is what we get to finish things off...I mean really, the only thing worth watching is the montage at the end.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 04:01 PM   #1148
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

DonIago wrote: View Post
Sykonee wrote: View Post
Since this thread is semi-offrails as it is, and I don't want to wander into the Gaming forum, I may as well ask ol' GoddyBen this here.

Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
B. ENT
C. Altered ROTJ
D. ME3

I'll go with B.

A was bad, but not horrible.
C was irritating and stupid, but hardly unexpected if you'd seen the altered earlier films.
D is not one I'm personally familiar with and is probably too recent for comment.

B, OTOH... this is a "Valentine for the fans"? Really? Which fans in particular? The fact that ENT had actually improved during its final season, and that this is what we get to finish things off...I mean really, the only thing worth watching is the montage at the end.
Heh, I just started a thread in the ENT Forum a few days back about TATV Popularity. As insulted as us BBS posters felt over the episode, apparently it was well loved by the General Public (Must be TNG fans, I guess), because I just noticed on the "Captains Log" Fan Collection Box set, TATV was selected as a Fan Favorite. Apparently, even though we disliked it so much, they knew what they were doing
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 06:33 PM   #1149
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
B. ENT
C. Altered ROTJ
D. ME3
Hmm, we're still in the middle of the ME3 hate-storm, but I'd give it the edge because the developers have indicated that they're open to changing the ending in the face of the backlash against them. I know that those Trek finales were retconned somewhat in the novels, but those were written by different people.

What makes ME3's ending so toxic to fans is that the games themselves are so amazing. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, even with that ending I would still recommend it to anyone that enjoys great space opera, it is an experience like few others. I laughed, I held back manly tears, I felt a true bromance with a Turian named Garrus. So the fact that they dropped the ball in the last five minutes, then tripped and broke their own neck, it's not only disappointing, it's utterly incomprehensible.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 08:11 PM   #1150
apenpaap
Commodore
 
apenpaap's Avatar
 
Location: Cardassia, where only the military metaphors work.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Yeah, it's bizarre that TATV is on the fan favourite in Captain's Log. Scott Bakula's introduction to it is kind of funny, though. He sounds really surprised it came out as a fan favourite and it really seems like he's trying to stop himself from saying: "Why the hell did you select this stinker, fans?!"
__________________
The Obsidian Order: Proudly watching you since the 19th century. And looking manly in our purple hats while doing that.
apenpaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 08:53 PM   #1151
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: Grudgingly agreeing not to eat my friends.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's bizarre that TATV is on the fan favourite in Captain's Log. Scott Bakula's introduction to it is kind of funny, though. He sounds really surprised it came out as a fan favourite and it really seems like he's trying to stop himself from saying: "Why the hell did you select this stinker, fans?!"
Perhaps it's a situation where masses of people voted for it "for the lulz" - and it backfired spectacularly because too many of them did it?
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 09:00 PM   #1152
Sykonee
Fleet Captain
 
Sykonee's Avatar
 
Location: West Coast of Canada
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
What makes ME3's ending so toxic to fans is that the games themselves are so amazing. Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, even with that ending I would still recommend it to anyone that enjoys great space opera, it is an experience like few others. I laughed, I held back manly tears, I felt a true bromance with a Turian named Garrus. So the fact that they dropped the ball in the last five minutes, then tripped and broke their own neck, it's not only disappointing, it's utterly incomprehensible.
Heh. Seems like such an innocent time when the biggest criticism the game had was day-one DLC and the potential for a gay romance.
__________________
DS9 Versus
Electronic Music Critic: (~)

Last edited by Sykonee; March 19 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Sykonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2012, 10:31 PM   #1153
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral
 
Satyrquaze's Avatar
 
Location: Satyrquaze
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Since this thread is semi-offrails as it is, and I don't want to wander into the Gaming forum, I may as well ask ol' GoddyBen this here.

Of the following sci-fi franchises, who's ending do you think has pissed off its loyal, dedicated fanbase the most:

A. VOY
B. ENT
C. Altered ROTJ
D. ME3
Well, at least with A. the fanbase has clearly moved on to Twilight.
__________________
“If at first you don't succeed, cheat, repeat until caught, then lie.” -Anomymous
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 05:51 PM   #1154
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Heh. Seems like such an innocent time when the biggest criticism the game had was day-one DLC and the potential for a gay romance.
Yeah, the internet has had it out for ME3 for the last few months, it seemed like fans were actively hoping that the game would suck for some reason, in some cases people were actually making things up just to criticise the game. I assumed that the backlash against the ending was just another case of people griping for no reason, considering the quality of the rest of the game there was no way that the ending could be that bad. Then I got to the end...
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2012, 07:29 PM   #1155
apenpaap
Commodore
 
apenpaap's Avatar
 
Location: Cardassia, where only the military metaphors work.
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

By the way, what altered ending of ROTJ? Did George Lucas change it?
__________________
The Obsidian Order: Proudly watching you since the 19th century. And looking manly in our purple hats while doing that.
apenpaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
deep space nine, ds9, episode discussion, review

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.