Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 14 2012, 07:32 PM   #601
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

InklingStar wrote: View Post
"Tyrion's source alerts him... to a mysterious secret weapon." If I recall, Tyrion came up with both the chain and the wildfire himself.
In the book Cersei ordered 10,000 jars of wildfire to be produced before Tyrion's arrival as Hand.
Old March 14 2012, 11:57 PM   #602
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post

Episode #14: “Garden of Bones”
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 22 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Joffrey punishes Sansa for Robb’s victories, while Tyrion and Bronn scramble to temper the king’s cruelty. Catelyn entreats Stannis and Renly to forego their ambitions and unite against the Lannisters. Dany and her exhausted khalasar arrive at the gates of Qarth, a prosperous city with strong walls and rulers who greet her outside them. Tyrion coerces a queen’s man into being his eyes and ears. Arya and Gendry are taken to Harrenhal, where their lives rest in the hands of “The Mountain,” Gregor Clegane. Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove.
Written by Vanessa Taylor; directed by David Petrarca.
Guess that one's gonna be the first Big Mac of the season. Lot's of memorable stuff happenning there.
And it seems like they use the secret cove scene for Renly's assassination. So no siege of Storm's End, probably.
Agreed.

For the show, there's no need for two shadowbabies.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2012, 04:50 AM   #603
JD
Admiral

All of this stuff I'm hearing about Season 2 is really making me want to read A Clash of Kings. But I just realized that I have 119 books that I own but haven't read yet. I want to get that down by alot before I start buying books again.
Old March 15 2012, 06:28 PM   #604
setvenharis
Lieutenant Commander

Can I ask, Is the two paperbacks of A Dance with Dragons (Dreams and Dust and After the Feast) combined in the hardback version of A Dance of Dragons?
Old March 15 2012, 06:31 PM   #605
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

setvenharis wrote: View Post
Can I ask, Is the two paperbacks of A Dance with Dragons (Dreams and Dust and After the Feast) combined in the hardback version of A Dance of Dragons?
Yes, the hardback has both.
Old March 15 2012, 08:11 PM   #606
Hyperspace05
Commodore

setvenharis wrote: View Post
The split paperbacks they release in the UK are so bizarre. The books aren't THAT large.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 03:21 AM   #607
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

^ IIRC, wasn't ASOS released in 4 books in France? Criminy!

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 06:53 AM   #608
Takeru
Fleet Captain

They split every book into two volumes here in Germany as well. It's a little bit annoying but at least they're consistent and you know you have to get two books for every original release from the start.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2012, 07:16 AM   #609
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Takeru wrote: View Post
They split every book into two volumes here in Germany as well. It's a little bit annoying but at least they're consistent and you know you have to get two books for every original release from the start.
Are they published at the time or do they make you wait for part II?
Old March 16 2012, 01:04 PM   #610
Takeru
Fleet Captain

They make us wait a little bit, ADWD will be released in may and june. They released new translations of the old books to build up hype for the new one, that's why we're getting it a little bit later, the scond part of AFFC was just Re-released this month.

The new translations are controversial, they eliminated all english names and translated them into german (greyjoy became graufreud, riverrun schnellwasser etc.). I like the change, if the books are in german it makes no sense to keep english names in a fantasy setting that is not an english speaking country.
Old March 16 2012, 04:09 PM   #611
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Takeru wrote: View Post
They make us wait a little bit, ADWD will be released in may and june. They released new translations of the old books to build up hype for the new one, that's why we're getting it a little bit later, the scond part of AFFC was just Re-released this month.

The new translations are controversial, they eliminated all english names and translated them into german (greyjoy became graufreud, riverrun schnellwasser etc.). I like the change, if the books are in german it makes no sense to keep english names in a fantasy setting that is not an english speaking country.
I can understand the translation of places, cities, castles or nicknames (Hebrew translation had that too), but translating family names? Doesn't sound right to me ... Did the new translation also changed Targaryen, Umber, Clegane and such into something else?
Old March 16 2012, 06:56 PM   #612
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Shurik wrote: View Post
I can understand the translation of places, cities, castles or nicknames (Hebrew translation had that too), but translating family names? Doesn't sound right to me ... Did the new translation also changed Targaryen, Umber, Clegane and such into something else?
No, Targaryen is still Targaryen, they changed names when they are easilly recognizable as english words that the average german reader understands. That's why Greyjoy, Snow etc. were translated while Arryn, Lannister etc. remained unchanged.

It really makes a lot of sense to me, it's weird if you read a fantasy novel in german and suddenly stumble over someone named Jon Snow. The surname Snow makes no sense in that context, because the english language doesn't exist in Westeros.
It's like the translation of The Lord of the Rings where Tolkien instructed the translators to get rid of everything english.
Old March 16 2012, 10:24 PM   #613
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Did they translate "Stark"? Because it exists in both german and english but with different meanings.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2012, 12:12 AM   #614
Hyperspace05
Commodore

For those that are interested, here is a recent 3-part interview/Q&A (1.5 hrs) with GRRM, and at the end of part 3 he reads a new(?) chapter from "Winds of Winter":
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S51i0EANGA
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwdWUl25AU
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJblxV3QHQ (the chapter reading starts at 30:20 mark)

The POV for the chapter is Victarion - sounds like the first or one of the first chapters of the book.

In part 3 he also gives his opinion on the recent Marvel film adaptations.
Old March 17 2012, 03:14 AM   #615
setvenharis
Lieutenant Commander

So...who believes the theory that Jon Snow is not the bastard son of Eddard Stark, but the son of Rhaegar Targaryn and Eddard's sister Lyanna?