Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 13 2012, 01:50 AM   #1276
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Does It Get Better???

A space station in the Delta Quad. is a bad concept especially when you have Borg and Hirogen in the same space looking for victims. It's nothing more than a stationary target. I'm surprised the writers never considered that fact.
Old March 13 2012, 02:06 AM   #1277
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

The Delta Quadrant is a large place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 02:19 AM   #1278
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Not if you go by "Equinox" or "Homestead".
Voyager found stuff that should have been a million and one shot.
Seriously, what are the chances that the only two Federation starships that arrived in the DQ at different times, traveled two different directions, unaware either one was there would some how end up crossing the same paths?
You've got a better chance winning the lottery.
Old March 13 2012, 02:20 AM   #1279
stj
Rear Admiral

For the people who care about the supposed pussyfication of the Borg, this is the climax of the process. This episode tells us that 1.) the Collective's control of the drones can be blocked, meaning that any species advanced enough to build jamming devices will come out victorious; 2.) that the Collective does not actually exist, since it is impossible for minds to meld by an electronic equivalent of telepathy; 3.) that any drone can set up as the Queen; 4.) that drones can escape from the Collective.

If you don't care about this supposed sin of Voyager, you should still care that since these things are true, the characters' fears of the Borg menace are simpleminded hysteria (if not borderline psychotic.) Having characters fearing a villain who is written as a paper tiger is piss poor writing.

The scene where the freed drones insanely try to go off in opposite direction is absolutely key to what action there is in this pointless angstfest. Yet, the truth is that no rational human beings would do this with such mindless gusto. I suspect that Moore really does have unbounded contempt for humanity as he essentially repeated this scene with his Cylons. The rest of the episode is Seven guiltily realizing she is indeed the Borg Queen.

I don't know how anyone can really find this preposterous character development anything but a clumsy attempt to saddle a character with, simultaneously, enormous power and enormous guilt,yet there is no chance of ever using this power nor does anyone else ever has any chance to exercise judgment. It's all boo-hoo-hoo.

The Borg are interesting as a concept because there is a desire for the communion of minds, and a chance that technology might someday promise the terror of a wish come true. We, who all live alone in our minds, should see the Borg and think a little. We might possibly be afraid about getting swallowed up. This episode, insensible of the dream, casually dismisses the nightmare. Seven nobly shouldering her guilt no doubt is much lighter, but of no real interest whatsoever. Seven was only interesting when she was like Spock, not too keen on being human.

B'elana Torres was a mess from day one. There is no reason for a dinky little girl to buy into the macho Klingon horse shit, which made the character a complete cipher. Ron D. Moore, the guy so strongly associated with Klingons that he had a batleth given to him couldn't do something to fix the Torres character! They shouldn't have let him quite, they should have fired his sorry ass.
Old March 13 2012, 02:29 AM   #1280
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Survival instinct written by RDM as a metaphor for how Janeway handled exactly the same issues.

Crew lost?

Tick!

Can't get home?

Tick!

Crew freaking out?

Tick!

Bring on the brainwashing and cult mentality.

What would Seven do if put in (almost) exactly the same situation as Janeway in Caretaker?

This episode answers that question.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 13 2012 at 02:55 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 02:39 AM   #1281
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Yes, they should have fired Ronald D Moore, that makes a ton of sense
Old March 13 2012, 02:55 AM   #1282
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought he ran.

Well crawled.

Scuttled?

I understand he used the same secret tunnel Genevieve used to get under the barded wire fences and past the attack dogs.

Beltran spent some time looking for it but got distracted by his own reflection.

Old March 13 2012, 03:31 AM   #1283
AdmiralScreed
Captain

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
This episode felt very fresh (if that makes any sense), which is ironic because Borg episodes on this show were starting to feel really stale. I can't put my finger on why, but this episode didn't feel like an episode of Voyager. It felt like something even greater.
Possibly because Ronald D. Moore wrote it. Personally, I love both episodes he was involved in. I definitely did like the atmosphere of "Survival Instinct", the fact that Voyager was at a busy space port getting supplies was a nice touch. I mean why hadn't we seen that kind of thing more often? Its kind of absurd.
It took a DS9 writer to write a great VOY episode. Haha, go figure. I'm curious to learn why he chose to leave the show. A google search should answer my question.
Old March 13 2012, 04:40 AM   #1284
AdmiralScreed
Captain

While reading through some articles about Moore I ran into some interesting stuff about Beltran. I never knew he hated the show so much, although I can understand why. His character was so underutilized, which is a real shame because I think he had the potential to be one of the most interesting characters on the whole show.
Old March 13 2012, 04:41 AM   #1285
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

If I remember correctly, someone already gave you the link to the Moore interview after he left Voyager and you read a bit, I imagine not the whole thing since you didn't want spoilers.

Here it is again

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

And there aren't really any spoilers since it doesn't mention anything that happens in future episodes. Some people here disagree with Moore and hate when this interview is brought up...but I think its a fine interview and he raises tons of good points.
Old March 13 2012, 06:59 AM   #1286
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

exodus wrote: View Post
While we jump on Janeways case and call her a psychopath for her actions, lets considered it was Sisko that poisoned an entire planet, covered up a murder of a diplomatic Ambassador and showed racial prejudice toward a holodeck program due to a period in history he never experienced. I understand why it was important to Aver Brookes but within the context of Trek, it makes not sense to having racial prejudice in the 24th century about something that happened in the 21st. Especially if there is no longer racism within the Federation and wasn't any in during his father or his life time.
Makes Archer's actions in "Damage" look like peanuts.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:12 AM   #1287
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Archer was desperate when he stole that warp core.

What made him an asshole was that he never went back to see how those lllyrians were doing, floundering at impulse, or replace the stolen warp coils when in the many many subsequent episodes that occurred after damage when Captain Archer had made allies and suddenly had ample resources, if not still later when they were resting comfortably back at home.

Actually I'm surprised that the other Enterprise didn't leave the spare parts the Illyrians needed on a nearby moon, next to a time delayed transponder which Archer could have set up 50 years earlier.

Asshole.

Timelost Asshole.

Both of them.

Assholes.

Janeway clearly said to Tuvok who thought that he had a bright idea in The Void that the Starfleet Charter does not justify or tolerate piracy by officers sworn to uphold that charter.

(Ransom would disagree.)

Old March 13 2012, 12:14 PM   #1288
lurok
Commodore

Another fan of Survival Instinct but generally like Moore's stuff anyway. Was thinking the other day re: the 'weakened Borg' debate that this episode and couple of others were so much better than TNG ones, though BoBW and I,Borg decent enough. Even quite like the one where Chuckles get borged up. But can't stand Unimatrix Zero. Like a bad holodeck episode.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 01:56 PM   #1289
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I love it when folks accuse Sisko of poisoning an entire planet and conveniently neglect to mention that as far as we know he only poisoned it to humans and perhaps other Maquis-aligned races, while leaving it perfectly safe for Cardassians.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 02:12 PM   #1290
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Which is nice since those same humans poisoned those same Cardassians planet a few days earlier and they could both just swap worlds and be happy with their digs.

Very wife swap.