Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 9 2012, 05:56 AM   #1756
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have suggested it. That'd be the stuff of nightmares I imagine they'd be super rare.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 07:17 PM   #1757
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

So i thought i'd give it a try.. Can't/won't work on my i3 iMac with 10.6.8.. I tried the older "minecraft classic". I wasn't able to get it to run.. Java is all up dated.

Heres the thing though. For shits and giggles i tried it on my old g5 iMac with 10.4.11. Classic seems to work fine on it.

What am i doing wrong?
Old March 9 2012, 07:21 PM   #1758
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
So i thought i'd give it a try.. Can't/won't work on my i3 iMac with 10.6.8.. I tried the older "minecraft classic". I wasn't able to get it to run.. Java is all up dated.

Heres the thing though. For shits and giggles i tried it on my old g5 iMac with 10.4.11. Classic seems to work fine on it.

What am i doing wrong?
"Wasn't able to get it to run" doesn't say much. What happens when you try to run it? How are you trying to run it?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2012, 07:55 PM   #1759
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Sorry.. lol you are right i didnt give very much with that.. i tried it on my browser.. both firefox and safari.. the "play screen" just shows black..
It asks if i want to run it.. i tell it yes.. it never loads.. hope that helps.. im typing this from my phone so sorry for any mistakes..
Old March 9 2012, 11:32 PM   #1760
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Have you done this?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1208412

(I don't own a Mac so I may not be of much help. Any other Mac users posting here?)
My blog
Old March 10 2012, 04:05 AM   #1761
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Hope you get your problem fixed Saturn. It'd be nice to have a new face around the place.

Hmmm, well I'm full-blown gonzo confused about portals now.

Step 1: Build a portal in the nether that brings me out in an underwater cave a few islands away from a jungle biome. Cool says I, I'll build a new portal over by the jungle and save myself the hike.

Step 2: Build a portal next to the jungle. Hop in, it takes me back to the original portal in the nether. Odd, says I.

Step 3: Hop right back into the portal and it creates a brand new portal even deeper in the cave than the first one.

Step 4: The hell?!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2012, 08:04 AM   #1762
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Thinking with portals doesn't sit well with Minecraft.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2012, 11:56 AM   #1763
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Hope you get your problem fixed Saturn. It'd be nice to have a new face around the place.

Hmmm, well I'm full-blown gonzo confused about portals now.

Step 1: Build a portal in the nether that brings me out in an underwater cave a few islands away from a jungle biome. Cool says I, I'll build a new portal over by the jungle and save myself the hike.

Step 2: Build a portal next to the jungle. Hop in, it takes me back to the original portal in the nether. Odd, says I.

Step 3: Hop right back into the portal and it creates a brand new portal even deeper in the cave than the first one.

Step 4: The hell?!
Step 1: Set Bedspawn next to the cave portal.

Step 2: Destroy the original nether portal and put all your things in an easy to find chest.

Step 3: Kill yourself, respawn at the cave portal, destroy that one.

Step 4: Create your jungle portal, go through retrieve the stuff in the chest.

Step 5: Cross your fingers it sends you back through to the jungle, because if it doesn't then I've no idea what to do.
Old March 11 2012, 05:17 AM   #1764
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I dunno, I kinda like havign my spawnpoint where it is...

Anyway, I tried a few more times to break the old portal then going into the new one. When I ended up with a new portal right next to the broken one, I just decided to say screw it. All I can figure is that the new jungle portal I set up is over a lava lake in the nether or something.

I did use a compass to hike back to my main base, a two day walk. found another jungle but still no damn villages!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old March 11 2012, 03:51 PM   #1765
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It's completely counter-intuitive, but due to a "fix" that Notch implemented shortly after the Nether was introduced portals must be placed on the Nether side to link up properly. You have to go to the jungle portal, get the x and z coordinates using F3, divide those by 8, go to those coordinates in the Nether and build a portal there.
Old March 12 2012, 01:12 PM   #1766
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I guess I could try that. But at this point, I'm just gonna say the hell with it and just lay down some minecart track to make the trip back and forth to portals easier.

But damn me, still no villages.

In other news, This needs to be the new game intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8jc2CsRe4

Last edited by Cutter John; March 12 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 13 2012, 12:51 AM   #1767
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Also, I just read a potentially useful tip on the Minecraft forum re finding Strongholds.
Someone reported that if you listen very carefully, you can sometimes hear the sound of zombies pounding on doors deep underground. So just wanderign the landscape listening carefully might be worth a shot.
Old March 13 2012, 05:08 AM   #1768
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I got "Khaaaaaaaaan!' on my title screen (in yellow)
Old March 13 2012, 04:18 PM   #1769
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Also, I just read a potentially useful tip on the Minecraft forum re finding Strongholds.
Someone reported that if you listen very carefully, you can sometimes hear the sound of zombies pounding on doors deep underground. So just wanderign the landscape listening carefully might be worth a shot.
I just want them to stop restricting strongholds to three per world, they should be "infinite" like the Nether fortresses. I can't go to the End and "win" the game in my main world because strongholds wont generate that far out in newly-generated land.
Old March 13 2012, 07:10 PM   #1770
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I thought the 3-stronghold limit was already removed, a while ago?
My blog