Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2012, 09:05 PM   #1231
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Jax wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I'm not too sure about that either, especially since the thing was also straining really hard to bite him at the same time. Zombies can multitask? Who knew?
Well I think I would struggle to rip open a person's chest more likely to break my fingers trying. Its a real cartoony death thats not needed in this show.
Remember though that we are talking about a zombie. If it broke its fingers ripping him open, it wouldn't stop to complain, it'd keep going regardless.

Personally i didn't think suspension of disbelief was needed at all. Humans have ripped open stomachs with sharpened fingernails before.

In Ancient Greece, one of the Olympic events was for two competitors to alternate hitting each other with a single blow, the first to incapacitate the other won.
One such competitor is historically noted to have sharpened his finger nails, struck his opponents belly with his fingers extended, cut open their stomach, then reached across to pull out their intestines.
He was of course disqualified, although not for the sharpened nails trick, but because the disembowelling counted as two hits.

With enough pressure and/or broken, jagged nails the zombie would be more than capable enough of tearing open Dale's stomach.
Old March 8 2012, 09:29 PM   #1232
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
I'm not too sure about that either, especially since the thing was also straining really hard to bite him at the same time. Zombies can multitask? Who knew?
Well I think I would struggle to rip open a person's chest more likely to break my fingers trying. Its a real cartoony death thats not needed in this show.
Remember though that we are talking about a zombie. If it broke its fingers ripping him open, it wouldn't stop to complain, it'd keep going regardless.

Personally i didn't think suspension of disbelief was needed at all. Humans have ripped open stomachs with sharpened fingernails before.

In Ancient Greece, one of the Olympic events was for two competitors to alternate hitting each other with a single blow, the first to incapacitate the other won.
One such competitor is historically noted to have sharpened his finger nails, struck his opponents belly with his fingers extended, cut open their stomach, then reached across to pull out their intestines.
He was of course disqualified, although not for the sharpened nails trick, but because the disembowelling counted as two hits.

With enough pressure and/or broken, jagged nails the zombie would be more than capable enough of tearing open Dale's stomach.
And, disemboweling is a typical Zombie manuever. How many times have we seen a Zombie hunched over a body, pulling out the innards, looking like Sausage chains in movies? Numerous. I'm pretty sure we see this in the Bicycle Girl shorts that were on the Web between seasons, and I have to imagine, we've seen it on the show before now.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 09:54 PM   #1233
Immolatus
Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Disruptor wrote: View Post
One thing that bugged me when I thought about it. So the "swamp zombie" guts a cow...instead of gorging on bovine guts, it waits for Dale to come and seems to ambush him. Walkers aren't sneaky. Maybe Dale was just too distracted.
Agreed. It felt very much like the zombie was setting a trap for him, which is fine if they want to make the zombies smarter but felt very off from their normal behavior.
I'm telling you, the zombies are getting smarter. In the episode before last, when rick had those 3 walkers on top of him they pushed the gun out of the way as they tried to bite rick
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2012, 10:05 PM   #1234
Immolatus
Captain

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
Also, why is any one of them roaming around by themselves? They are just begging to be picked off one by one. That includes my beloved Daryl going all Rambo on the farm's outskirts, Carl's solo trip of lunancy and Dale wandering off in the dark to become zombie fodder.

Why aren't they trying to scavenge for more ammo, food, etc? It seems like they are just laying around in the sun working on their tans. At least Herschel's lot seems to work. Lori is playing house. Andrea is busy trying to be Wonder Woman. (At least Carol has the excuse of her daughter's recent zombification and death to flake a bit.) Shane is doing God knows what. Dale seems to be on the lookout. We have not really seen T-Dawg in forever. Glenn has Maggie issues.

I just feel like they are just sitting around ripe for the picking from zombies or roving bands of humans.
I agree. I can't see for the life of me why would anyone go off and walk in the woods alone when the dead are everywhere, and then do it at night. WTF was Dale thinking? I'm surprised they don't have a bigger zombie problem with all the damn cows mooing.

And they really should be doing more. They already know the the other group has 30 men and are heavly armed. They know it's going to be a hard winter (the good thing is they are in the south, it gets cold but not like NY). Glen should be doing what he does best. they should be getting ready. 3 guys to look around town and get needed supplies. 1 in the car at the ready and 2 always together looking around in stores or at the local sheriffs offce to see about guns and such. But all they do is walk around the farm and eat food and waste toilet paper
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old March 8 2012, 10:12 PM   #1235
Immolatus
Captain

marillion wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Beagleman wrote: View Post
Actually no, they don't. One of the worst urban myths.
Really? Interesting, thanks for the correction

On the other hand, if that happens to a zombie, the greater area of exposed nail still means they have a bigger weapon, so the end result is the same.
Ah, yea, so same difference
Also, on Talking Dead after the show, they were talking about how the zombie's nails had hardened after death, making them better able to tear through the flesh.. I don't remember the exact location of the "incision" but wasn't it actually below the breast bone, and not the ribcage itself?
I think it was the gut, so no bone in the way just Dale flesh
Old March 12 2012, 03:00 AM   #1236
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

And now we know for sure...and knowing is half the battle...
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 03:03 AM   #1237
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Yep....

although I have to say...the walkers were just waiting in the woods milling around? Find that a little strange but whatever!

Overall a great episode!!
Old March 12 2012, 03:09 AM   #1238
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I'm starting to wonder how Rick and Lori kept that kid alive BEFORE the zombies. Seriously. WTF?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 04:54 AM   #1239
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

One thing I learned this season, if you're thinking about killing Rick do it right away because the sneaky bastard will lull you into your death otherwise.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 05:11 AM   #1240
Ryan
Commodore

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I'm starting to wonder how Rick and Lori kept that kid alive BEFORE the zombies. Seriously. WTF?

They barely even seem like parents. How the hell does Carl end up with an "it's not your fault" speech after sneaking off into the woods alone, stealing a gun, toying a zombie, and ultimately letting it lose to kill a member of the group?

The show seems to acknowledge Carl will never get a traditional childhood and the best Rick and Lori can do is keep him alive but then it totally softballs disciplining Carl for getting Dale killed.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 05:36 AM   #1241
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Ryan wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post

They barely even seem like parents. How the hell does Carl end up with an "it's not your fault" speech after sneaking off into the woods alone, stealing a gun, toying a zombie, and ultimately letting it lose to kill a member of the group?

The show seems to acknowledge Carl will never get a traditional childhood and the best Rick and Lori can do is keep him alive but then it totally softballs disciplining Carl for getting Dale killed.
how does a kid who stole a gun, then wandered into the woods to throw rocks at zombies end up wandering around in the dark the next night even after his parents knew all of that?

and I'm not sure if he is a really good shot, or a really bad one.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 05:37 AM   #1242
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Holy Crap. Well, we had that one idea confirmed. That explains a lot.

I was rather hoping Daryl would be the one to end the scene between Rick and Shane, with an arrow.

A really good episode. And T-Dog actually was allowed to speak! Someone give that poor man some lines!
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 05:44 AM   #1243
sojourner
Vice Admiral

NANANANALALALALALA HAHAHAHA! Told ya.
Old March 12 2012, 06:38 AM   #1244
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Holy shit, Rick is so fucked in the head now and so is Carl. I cannot wait to see what effect his has on Rick next season. This was the last episode for season 2, no?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2012, 06:48 AM   #1245
FreezeC77
Commodore

Is tonight's episode confirmation of what Rick WASN'T TOLD as the final words in the CDC bunker by the scientist guy? If he was told everyone is already infected and when they die they come back as a zombie shouldn't he have known Shane was going to come back to life?

And if he had been told that and didn't think about it he's A)completely retarded and B) made life even more dangerous for everyone in his group since if someone died of non-zombie causes they could suddenly come back and attack someone.

I wonder if Carol someone survives and the group finds out about the zombie virus already having infected people if she'll then realize her daughter probably died of starvation or something in the woods and then turned.

But maybe the most interesting thing from this episode for me at least was the weird flashes we saw from Shane as he died and turned into a zombie. Looks like zombies have some kind of minimal collective borg-like consciousness almost. That's probably why they're all suddenly descending on the barn.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote