Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 11 2012, 09:56 AM   #316
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why was Kes written off the show?

It's certainly not SW.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 11:43 AM   #317
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When i say Seven of Nine Toast rack, does your brain go tot he same place mine does? i assume that a toaster couldn't use the same basic design, but what about hand cranked grapefruit juicers?

10 people buy a hundred dollar seven of nine toaster or a hundred people buy a 10 dollar seven of nine t-shirt.

Marketing all depends on who you target.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 12:07 PM   #318
teacake
Admiral

My 7 of 9 toaster contains no "rack" jests, rather it looks like Borg technology and has voice activations.

Push bread down in toaster, toaster says: "Your biological distinctiveness has been added to our own."

Adjust toasting level dial, toaster says: "You will adapt."

Toast begins to burn while still in toaster, toaster says: "Don't panic. It's counter productive."

Toast pops up, toaster announces: "Remove your toast or I will remove your arm!"

Would I pay 100.00 for this? I'll take two please.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 11 2012, 12:30 PM   #319
Lynx
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
^^
It didn't.
Speculation.

And even if it had, it was wrong to dump Kes and fire Lien.
Your (subjective) opinion.

Maybe the money from the merchandise (if it was som much that some people believe) could have been used to keep ten main characters in the show.
And this basically Godwin's the thread with your basic, fundamental lack of understanding about how television series budgeting operates.
On the contrary, I know a lot about showbiz since I've worked in the business myself, although most in the musical spectrum of it

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at a new location soon!
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 12:33 PM   #320
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Teaching a Toaster how to Talk.

Ask Dave Lister if that's such a great idea?

Old March 11 2012, 12:37 PM   #321
teacake
Admiral

I believe my profile has something to say about that

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 11 2012, 12:37 PM   #322
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
I don't know, but I have my doubts that Seven of Nine merchandise really sold at such a high clip over that of other characters and that she was a success in that way to the studio. My guess would be that she ultimately turned out to be kind of a disappointment for them in terns of the impact she had. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Very wrong. Seven of Nine was many variations of action figure. Half-Borgified (as in "The Gift"), Silver-suited, Plum-suited and Blue-suited, all in the 4.5" size, cloth-dressed figures in both 9" (Brown-suited and Silver-suited) and 12" (Silver), plus a Hallmark ornament and even coldcast statues and a life-size mannequin.

Kes only got a short-packed 4.5" figure.

Even Janeway only got one regular 4.5", one "Flashback" exclusive (designed by me for NewForce Comics), one 9" figure and a Hallmark ornament.

teacake wrote: View Post
Where is all this wondrous 7 merchandise and why do I not own it.
Seven:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40

Kes:

Maybe the money from the merchandise (if it was som much that some people believe) could have been used to keep ten main characters in the show.
So Playmates and Hallmark should subsidize an actor's salary and not sell any toys or ornaments?
What you and some other posters seem to forget is that Seven Of Nine was deliberately marketed in a very different way from how Kes was marketed. When it comes to Kes, she was one of the main cast but not featuring in any way and when it comes to marketing, you should compare the marketing of Kes with the marketing of Tuvok, Paris, Torres, The Doctor, Neelix, Kim and maybe Chakotay. How many Doctor items are there to find? And how many times did we see The Doctor on any book cover?

When Seven arrived, those in charge had decided that she was the new star of the show, the new main character. That, plus the "sex sells" factor was the reason for all Seven items that started to show up on the market, not to mention all those posters and articles about her in all the Trek magazines which were going at the same time.

When it comes to my suggestion about all that marketing money being used to have ten main characters, well in another post it was stated that Paramount earned lots of $$$ on the Seven Of Nine stuff so maybe all that $$$ could have been used to keep ten main characters.

Old March 11 2012, 12:51 PM   #323
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So, exactly how often are you a teacake, and how often are you a toasted teacake?

Old March 11 2012, 01:00 PM   #324
teacake
Admiral

What you and some other posters seem to forget is that Seven Of Nine was deliberately marketed in a very different way from how Kes was marketed. When it comes to Kes, she was one of the main cast but not featuring in any way and when it comes to marketing, you should compare the marketing of Kes with the marketing of Tuvok, Paris, Torres, The Doctor, Neelix, Kim and maybe Chakotay. How many Doctor items are there to find? And how many times did we see The Doctor on any book cover?
But.. we did get THIS.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 11 2012, 01:01 PM   #325
teacake
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So, exactly how often are you a teacake, and how often are you a toasted teacake?
When I'm hot, I'm hot.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 11 2012, 01:05 PM   #326
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
I don't know, but I have my doubts that Seven of Nine merchandise really sold at such a high clip over that of other characters and that she was a success in that way to the studio. My guess would be that she ultimately turned out to be kind of a disappointment for them in terns of the impact she had. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Very wrong. Seven of Nine was many variations of action figure. Half-Borgified (as in "The Gift"), Silver-suited, Plum-suited and Blue-suited, all in the 4.5" size, cloth-dressed figures in both 9" (Brown-suited and Silver-suited) and 12" (Silver), plus a Hallmark ornament and even coldcast statues and a life-size mannequin.

Kes only got a short-packed 4.5" figure.

Even Janeway only got one regular 4.5", one "Flashback" exclusive (designed by me for NewForce Comics), one 9" figure and a Hallmark ornament.

Seven:

Kes:

So Playmates and Hallmark should subsidize an actor's salary and not sell any toys or ornaments?

When Seven arrived, those in charge had decided that she was the new star of the show, the new main character. That, plus the "sex sells" factor was the reason for all Seven items that started to show up on the market, not to mention all those posters and articles about her in all the Trek magazines which were going at the same time.

When it comes to my suggestion about all that marketing money being used to have ten main characters, well in another post it was stated that Paramount earned lots of $$$ on the Seven Of Nine stuff so maybe all that $$$ could have been used to keep ten main characters.
You're aware that these are all separate and unrelated departments?

usually at war with another.

Berman looked better to his bosses if all these other bastards trying to make money off "the brand" and off his work FAILED.

Well, failed relativey compared to his successes.

the guy who was in charge of the toys wanted to destroy the guy in charge of the games who wanted to kill the guy in charge of the print media who wanted to annihilate the frakk in charge of the apparrel who all wanted to destroy Berman who was in charge of broadcast media.

Evolution comes through conflict.

Old March 11 2012, 02:16 PM   #327
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

What you and some other posters seem to forget is that Seven Of Nine was deliberately marketed in a very different way from how Kes was marketed.
That's kinda the point. Kes was too mousey and plain to be promoted as the show's T&A, jiggly poster-girl.

How many Doctor items are there to find?
He did get a 4.5" figure and a 9" figure. And a Hallmark ornament. And a very popular cameo in "First Contact". And a holographic trading card.

And how many times did we see The Doctor on any book cover?
Robert Picardo actually wrote "The Hologram's Handbook" for Pocket Books:
http://www.amazon.com/Holograms-Hand.../dp/0743437918

When Seven arrived, those in charge had decided that she was the new star of the show, the new main character.
No, it was decided before she arrived.

That, plus the "sex sells" factor was the reason for all Seven items that started to show up on the market, not to mention all those posters and articles about her in all the Trek magazines which were going at the same time.
Exactly. The Kes character did not have that merchandising potential. Her character (and the actress) were not designed that way.

You still don't understand. Monies earned by a studio are channelled through to shareholders as profits, not in keeping an overblown cast of a TV show together.

With ten characters, everybody gets even less lines per script. No matter how much you loved Kes, complaining how unfair it was doesn't change the fact that the show's producers were ordered to shake up the status quo in an effort to attract more interest in the show. And they did. And sales of Seven merchandise was good - because it kept getting produced. There were a lot of Seven items because the stores couldn't keep enough of them on the shelves. Without Seven and her ample assets, VOY may have lost many more viewers than they already had.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2012, 03:37 PM   #328
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I spent 5 minutes googling for "seven of Nine merchandise' and all I found was a coffee mug, a bust and a few posters from the original promotional shots from before she actually started.

Although, I did see a TOS edition of UNO that looks wicked.

These people had no idea how to capitalize on Jeri wearing a sock.

Old March 11 2012, 04:45 PM   #329
Lynx
Rear Admiral

What you and some other posters seem to forget is that Seven Of Nine was deliberately marketed in a very different way from how Kes was marketed.
That's kinda the point. Kes was too mousey and plain to be promoted as the show's T&A, jiggly poster-girl.

How many Doctor items are there to find?
He did get a 4.5" figure and a 9" figure. And a Hallmark ornament. And a very popular cameo in "First Contact". And a holographic trading card.

Robert Picardo actually wrote "The Hologram's Handbook" for Pocket Books:
http://www.amazon.com/Holograms-Hand.../dp/0743437918

No, it was decided before she arrived.

That, plus the "sex sells" factor was the reason for all Seven items that started to show up on the market, not to mention all those posters and articles about her in all the Trek magazines which were going at the same time.
Exactly. The Kes character did not have that merchandising potential. Her character (and the actress) were not designed that way.

You still don't understand. Monies earned by a studio are channelled through to shareholders as profits, not in keeping an overblown cast of a TV show together.

With ten characters, everybody gets even less lines per script. No matter how much you loved Kes, complaining how unfair it was doesn't change the fact that the show's producers were ordered to shake up the status quo in an effort to attract more interest in the show. And they did. And sales of Seven merchandise was good - because it kept getting produced. There were a lot of Seven items because the stores couldn't keep enough of them on the shelves. Without Seven and her ample assets, VOY may have lost many more viewers than they already had.
So what the show needed was a "T&A, jiggly poster-girl".
Oh, and I thougt it was a SF series about exploring space. Not to mention that the strength of Star Trek always has been the stories and good characters, something Voyager already had.

"Mousey and plain" doesn't fit the description of Kes but I agree that the character wasn't supposed to be the featured character. That role was designed to Kathryn Janeway.

As for "less lines per script" with ten character and "overblown cast", well someone must have forgotten to tell that to those in charge of DS9.

And if everything was about profit, why did they bother to keep all the main character. They could have dumped all of them except Seven, then it would have been more money to the great shareholders.

Honestly, showbiz is a stinking business. I know.

And I don't think that Voyager would have lost more viewers without any changes, not if those in charge had concentrated on their main job, to come up with good stories for the characters they had.

Old March 11 2012, 05:23 PM   #330
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Where is all this wondrous 7 merchandise and why do I not own it.

http://shop.cafepress.com/seven-of-n...FYNx4AodUklCWQ

I particularily like the "Your appeal to my humanity is pointless" Tshirt and the "I (borg cube) Seven of Nine" gym bag.