RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 763
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 24 2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Excelsior
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Yourself in Star Trek Online?

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Holy Shit, your graphic settings are impressiv.
Gee, thanks! That said, in the interests of full disclosure, I did whack all the graphics settings up to full, to the point where my PC ground to a halt almost entirely. Fine for screenshots, but terrible for gameplay, where it takes a good hour to walk around a room due to the lag...

...at least, until recently - I don't know what Cryptic's done, but since returning to the game this year, I can turn everything up, and it all work perfectly. Haven't needed to set lighting to 'low' once - it's all really smooth, even in combat or crowded social zones.
Not bad, considering that officially, STO shouldn't work on my machine at all - because apparently, my graphics card isn't up to spec...

Seeing as that 'photo' is almost a year old (yikes! ), here's a more recent shot - making good use of the SPIFFY new Defiant interior:

In a word: YUM.

(...by which I'm referring to the interior, not my XO - minds out of the gutter, people!)
Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

you're the second person i've spoken to who said the game has actually got 'faster' with regards to graphics settings...

strange... if anything, i've noticed the graphics have actually gone down in the last few weeks in regards to quality... i've got everything ramped up to full, the entire spectrum of options literally, and i swear the game looked better a few weeks ago than it does now

M
Old February 26 2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could it be that Cryptic has downgraded the graphics so they look uglier to top end video card users, but allow more video cards to play in high settings?

I know that one of the things that pissed me most was discovering that the texture of my Star Cruiser had gone from almost black to a dull grey that annoys me to the point of avoiding using the ship as much as I can. Instead I use the Odissey, which compared to the SC look is "meh" at most.
Darth Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Rocketeer
Captain

Something has happened because the graphics now look better on my laptop.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Trek
Fleet Captain

I'm thinking of trying out the DX11 settings to see if I can get a better screen shot out of it. There's also a command you can use to make screen shots render at double or tripple your current resolution (you can do higher, but it's not recommended).
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 02:14 PM   #21
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Well this was taken using the DX11 settings...

Every graphics setting at full aside from 'bloom', which i always have at 0% because it pisses me off lol

native resolution of 1920 x 1080... i have been tempted to see how ST would play in windowed stretched over 2 monitors, but don't fancy having my main character split down the middle lmao....

M
Old March 4 2012, 02:12 AM   #22
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

How did you get it to DX11? Did i miss something in the graphic settings?

Oh and, I look nothing like me in STO, and I don't have any more federation slots. I can fix a KDF officer that looks like me tomorrow, just for the fun it. In the meantime, this is my character:

I just realized you can't tell from that pic, but she's a Trill.

And here's my ship

Gotta say though, I've never understood the whole thing of looking like yourself in a RPG though. Don't I play the game to pretend I'm not in my normal world? And why not have something nice to look at in the meantime, hence why I almost always play as a female character.
Old March 6 2012, 02:20 AM   #23
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Here is Vice Admiral William Vaughn (looks kinda like me) of the USS Satyr:

Here he is with his fiance and XO Commander Kristin "Danger" Nelson:

And the Satyr herself NX-91007:
Old March 6 2012, 03:05 AM   #24
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
How did you get it to DX11? Did i miss something in the graphic settings?
The option is under the troubleshooting section. You have to change the video card option--there should be a pull down with your card listed twice: one with dx9 and one with dx11 (beta).
Old March 7 2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Okay, fixed it as an edit of one of my officers. This is about as close as I can get.

Old March 8 2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Rocketeer
Captain

Trek wrote: View Post
I'm thinking of trying out the DX11 settings to see if I can get a better screen shot out of it. There's also a command you can use to make screen shots render at double or tripple your current resolution (you can do higher, but it's not recommended).
What's the command? Thanks

Old March 8 2012, 12:32 PM   #27
Trek
Fleet Captain

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Trek wrote: View Post
What's the command? Thanks

/renderscale 2 or /renderscale 3

I've tried both and /renderscale 3 nearly crashed the game completely.

Here's my main toon Jonozia Lex, who bears more than a passing resemblance to me, with his wife Sara Parker on the bridge of the USS Argus.
Old March 8 2012, 02:55 PM   #28
Rocketeer
Captain

Appreciate the info. Does "/renderscale" effect normal play or just when you punch Print Scn?

Btw, whatever happened to the restrictions against fraternization in the military? I see you all guys having relationships with your crewmembers. I transferred my first officer when she got a little too friendly. ;-) Have to maintain crew discipline and morale. Hey, crew morale is a variable that would be cool to have in the game.

Old March 8 2012, 03:44 PM   #29
Trek
Fleet Captain

Appreciate the info. Does "/renderscale" effect normal play or just when you punch Print Scn?
It effects the normal play too, so I tend to switch it on to do a screen grab and then switch it off again.

BTW you can also do decimals, so /renderscale 2.5 is valid (or /renderscale .5 if you need to reduce the quality because the game is running slow)

Btw, whatever happened to the restrictions against fraternization in the military? I see you all guys having relationships with your crewmembers. I transferred my first officer when she got a little too friendly. ;-) Have to maintain crew discipline and morale. Hey, crew morale is a variable that would be cool to have in the game.
Lex and Parker's relationship predates his command of the Argus by several years, going all the way back to the Academy. They married while serving on the USS London and initially they weren't serving together on the Argus.

More info:
http://ussargus.com/fiction/TrialByFire/index.htm

http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Jonozia_Lex
http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Sara_Parker
Old March 8 2012, 05:43 PM   #30
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I have no such excuse. She was a direct suborninate and hot.

Also: Romulan Ale is a powerful beverage.