Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 4 2012, 03:14 AM   #451
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Oh yeah, I forgot there's technically two FF books They're basically one bi-weekly book so I consider them the same thing.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 03:16 AM   #452
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I probably wouldn't still be picking up FF if it weren't for Val and the Power Pack!! Ahhh Hickman you glorious bastard you! I should mention in a recent interview he stated that Spider-Man's future (no pun intended) status with the Fantastic Four will be addressed in FF #17. Peter was always meant to be just a temporary member (even though he's essentially an honorary family member). I kind of am expecting Hickman to have Peter pull a Batman and tell Reed and Sue that they can count on him whenever they really need him.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 03:25 AM   #453
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

1. Avengers Academy- I've been a fan from the first issue and it just keeps getting better.

2. Journey Into Mystery- A book that I didn't expect to like at all but is now one of my favorites.

3/4. Fantastic Four and FF- It's a shame to hear that Hickman is leaving, but his original plans had him leaving much sooner, and without a spin-off book, so I will just enjoy the rest of his run and be glad for it. I will decide about the future of the book when I know who is taking over.

5. Daredevil- Mark Waid's take on the character has brought me back to a character that I haven't really cared about for years.

6. Winter Soldier- Pre-Fear Itself, Captain America would be on this list. I'm not as fond of the new volume of Cap as I was of the old, but Winter Soldier is essentially the continuation of the old Cap run, so here it is.

7. Generation Hope- I know that there is only one more issue left-- that's why it's not higher on the list-- but I've really loved this book and the characters and will be sorry to see it gone.

8/9.- Avengers/New Avengers- for pretty much the same reasons as Mr. Light. Even agreed about the HAMMER war. It feels like it could have been told in four issues of the two books instead of six.

10.- Uncanny X-Men- I know that some here consider it "boring", but I couldn't disagree more. In the first arc, I enjoyed Mr. Sinister as a villain for the first time since... well, ever. The Tabula Rasa arc has been great for the most part. I love the whole concept of having a Savage Land in reverse right in the middle of Montana. Although, this was a three issue arc that got expanded into four, and it does show in the pacing.
Old March 4 2012, 03:27 AM   #454
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah I believe Hickman's original plans were that he was going to leave sometime last year if I'm not mistaken.

Old March 4 2012, 03:31 AM   #455
Mr Light
Admiral

I enjoyed the opening Mr. Sinister arc because he's one of my favorite 90s villains, but I really didn't care about the Tabula Rasa story.

Old March 4 2012, 03:33 AM   #456
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Daredevil
Fantastic Four
FF
Defenders
Uncanny X-Men
Venom
Avengers Academy
Winter Soldier
Uncanny X-Force
Incredible Hulk
Old March 4 2012, 03:39 AM   #457
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I loved the Sinister arc...The Tabula Rasa arc is somewhat interesting but the book is boring and dark, reflecting Scott Summers who has become that. I've long stated that I like the direction that Scott is going and the leader he has evolved into, but he is on a very dangerous path right now. Magneto has a great line in the preview of "Avengers Vs X-Men #1" where he tells Scott that he is starting to sound like him. That promo image from last year of Scott wearing Erik's costume and carrying his helmet has become more and more truer. The line is being blurred from his decisions and he is becoming too single minded and blind about protecting mutantkind to the point where he isn't thinking about the consequences of his actions. Extinction team indeed. Jean would be repulsed with the man he has become I think.

Old March 4 2012, 03:54 AM   #458
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm not actively reading 10 monthly books right now so a list I'd make would have a book like Moon Knight in it. Objectively it's not top 10 material.

I will pump up two titles I'm really enjoying though which are:
Incredible Hulk - Jason Aaron
Punisher - Greg Rucka
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 05:47 AM   #459
Mr Light
Admiral

I really don't like what they've done with Cyclops ever since Grant Morrison. I know they made jokes about him being uptight before that, but they've made him into a total dick since then. That's why "Wolverine and the X-Men" is so refreshing, it's not so relentlessly hopeless like the X-titles have been the past decade.

Old March 4 2012, 06:07 AM   #460
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I would't say Scott was a total dick...he's just shut everyone out really (including Emma) and surrounded himself with some interesting people for advice. This Scott actually reminds me a little bit of the Wolverine and the X-Men animated series Scott.

A more important subject than Scott Summers...what is Marvel planning post Avengers Vs X-Men?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/...ure-of-marvel/

Last edited by Admiral_Young; March 4 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 5 2012, 02:56 AM   #461
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I honestly think that Scott has gotten a bit of a bad rap in recent years. He's been put in a position that no leader of men, mutants or heroes has ever been in before-- protector of a dying and near-dead species against a world that would largely be glad to see them go pre-maturely extinct. With less than 200 mutants left, he could no longer afford to think of himself as the leader of a highly-trained team of super-heroes, but as the leader and protecter of an entire people--civilians and non-combatants alike.

The creation of X-Force is dicey, but what were his options? Bastion's people had already infiltrated SHIELD, so going to the authorities was out. Allowing the bad guys plans to unfold could have cost even more innocent mutant lives. Granted, recruitiing Laura was a bit of a dick move, but Wolfsbane involved herself without Scott or Logan's blessing. When the threat of Bastion was over, Scott dis-banded the team and it was Wolverine that kept the hit-squad going in secret.

I can see both sides of the child-soldier thing. The kids should be allowed to be kids, but they can't hide behind the staff and faculty of the JG school forever. What then? They will always be targets, even at the school. How many times has the JG school been attacted since opening? Utopia hasn't been attacked once since Scott created his Extinction Team.

Some posters at CBR like to call Scott a "nazi" and a "dictator", but after Schism, it was Scott who called for elections. He let Wolverine take anybody who wanted to leave with him. He gave them a freaking Blackbird for crissakes. Hardly the actions of a "dictator". In fact, Wolverine is the only one here who forced someone to go with him against their will (Quenten Quire).

All things being equal, I would probably readily side with Wolverine here, but this is not a situation where all things are equal.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; March 5 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 03:08 AM   #462
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The problem with the Schism I see in the other books, is that Logan and Scott have been portrayed as hostile towards one another, while in the main two books, that isn't the case at all. This is probably the only real thing that bugs me about the Schism. I would agree that Scott does get a bad rap, he is like the Tony Stark of the mutant community. I don't think the points I made were any less valid. He has closed himself off and buried his humanity in order to be a better leader. That has gotten him into the situation he is now, and thing are kind of going ape shit around him. He took down all the pictures of the past and his friends! That's a big sign to me that Scott is desperately trying to harden himself. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Paul Atriedes. Hope is claimed to be the messiah...but really it is Scott. All that pressure, all that expectation and hope on his shoulders. I do find the whole thing fascinating, I just don't really like Uncanny X-Men much right now.

Old March 5 2012, 03:45 AM   #463
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Hope is claimed to be the messiah...but really it is Scott.
Emma has told him as much.
Old March 5 2012, 03:54 AM   #464
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Indeed so...but as I stated, he's not really listening to anyone right now. Having someone like Hope around is almost like an escape for Scott.

Old March 5 2012, 09:39 AM   #465
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

And if you take the concept of Scott as saviour/messiah to its logical conclusion? It certainly puts Scott's post-AvX future in doubt.

Anyway, I just realized that I forgot to comment on my Marvel purchases for the week, of which there were only three...

FF 15-- For as much hype that was put into the Power Pack reunion, the guest-Powers really didn't do much except show up. I loved the scene with Bentley and Katie. I want to know what he said to her!

The reveal of the mystery figure training Franklin was exactly who I expected it to be, and I loved the exchange about having a best friend like Leech.

I was surprised that the issue ended at the exact same spot as the latest Fantastic Four, as I thought the arc was over with that issue, and expected resolution here. Oh well, one more issue to go...

Avengers 23/New Avengers 22-- The penultimate chapters of the HAMMER war, and while the story in Avengers really isn't doing it for me, the last two issues of New Avengers have really picked things up. The reveal about Victoria Hand was pretty much what I expected, but was completely surprised by Skaar's change of alliegence. I hope that the concluding chapters can bring a strong finish to an arc that has been quite sluggish at times.