Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 1 2012, 05:33 PM   #811
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

I think the demo went a long way to assuage a lot of the fears surrounding the multi-player. Of course the marketing people are focusing on the multiplayer aspect since it's a major new feature and one I imagine they're hoping will draw in *new* customers who may not normally play single player games, let alone RPGs.

As for how they're reporting on the game, I for one am glad that spoilers have been largely kept out of the trailers and I'm confident enough in Bioware's track record that I'm not concerned about the single player either. Maybe it's just me, but I *want* to be suprised!

To answer your questions though: yes, Sheen is definitely back as TIM. Yvonne Strakovski I'm less sure about, but Miranda, like all former (surviving) squadmates, is also definitely back.

[Edit] For those still looking, Play.com has the CE back in stock for all platforms, complete with the N7 wargear pack. No telling how long it'll stay that way of course!

Last edited by Reverend; March 1 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 05:46 PM   #812
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
but for example I've yet to see any article or preview mentioning whether, for example, Yvonne Strakovski reprises Miranda or Martin Sheen comes back as Illusive Man.
There was the voice cast trailer that was released a few weeks ago:

I'm not sure about Strakovski but I presume she's returning as all crewmembers from ME2 are supposedly in the game at some point. Then again, they changed Mordin's VA so it's possible she's not in it.
Old March 1 2012, 06:32 PM   #813
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

I think they'd have a hard time replacing Miranda at all, since it's not just Yvonne's voice but her facial features that went into the character.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 06:42 PM   #814
Reverend
Rear Admiral

It would certainly be weird if they changed her voice actor, but I think I'd understand if some of the characters are recast. I mean let's be realistic, it's a *huge* ensemble and they have a finite budget. It stands to reason that they might not be able to afford to bring everyone back, especially if they're the relatively famous actors and as such, not working for scale. If they're only playing relatively minor parts then it just might not be worth hiring them, especially when you have some very talented voice actors with a diverse vocal range already cast.
Old March 1 2012, 06:50 PM   #815
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

They have Martin Sheen, that's enough for me. They could have had him replace all the other actors without any variation in the voices and I'd still be happy with the result.
Old March 1 2012, 07:01 PM   #816
Deks
Rear Admiral

Even if they changed voice casting for pre-existing characters, it wouldn't be that difficult for new voice actors to try and match their predecessors in voices somewhat and let the sound techs 'sort it out' - they certainly have had the tech to do it for some time now.
Having said that... Bioware has a tendency to pay a lot of attention to details when it comes to Mass Effect, so this would be a relatively minor 'problem' to overcome - but realistically, I don't think there will be many changes that would impact the game in a negative capacity (least of all one that would be noticeable unless you are really looking to spot the changes in question).

Anyway... I'm replaying Mass Effect 2 myself right now with all the DLC content and having a blast.
I thought about simply importing my save from previous ME2 game, but it was corrupted (unlike my ME1 save) so I decided to replay until the third game comes.

I gotta say I love the ME series... and (finally) there should be same-sex relationship options in this third release.
Heh... either way, will be interesting to see how the story comes to a wrap and what might happen after ME3 - if they perhaps continue it in some shape/form.

I would love it if the ME movie for example would be done 'properly'.
I find a lack of genuine SF and technical aspects that could easily be realistic in real life dismissed as 'techno babble' that is usually replaced with hardcore action and explosions.
I see no reason not to have all those aspects combined.
Old March 1 2012, 07:32 PM   #817
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^If you want to replace lost saves, it's pretty easy to do if you use 'Gibbed's ME2 Save Editor'. Just start a new game with the Shepard you want, save as soon and the Lazarus level starts, exit, edit the save file with whatever ME1 plot flags you like, reload and you're away!
Old March 1 2012, 11:07 PM   #818
Deks
Rear Admiral

I was aware of that option, but I chose not to do it because I find it more fun to go through the game again.
:-)
Old March 2 2012, 05:11 AM   #819
throwback
Captain

First off, in my last post, I didn't mean to spoiler anything for anyone. I attempted to be vague, for I honestly am not sure if what I am reading is accurate for I haven't seen anything yet that verifies the rumors. So, again, if I upset anyone, I apologize.

Secondly, from what I have read and seen at IGN, I will be spending a fair amount of time in the Citadel. This game has a terrible case of Skyrim-itis wherein I can't take a step without acquiring a new quest. I fervently hope that the quests don't become a drag like they did in the first game.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 11:09 AM   #820
Deks
Rear Admiral

I don't mind the side-quests and the RPG-iness of the first game.
I do think that they should have kept a few things from the first game in how a character levels up though instead of dialing it down to biotic abilities and weapons damage - tech hacking skills etc. probably should have/could have been kept - and a limited (instead of infinite) inventory would be good for exploratory purposes.

The side-quest buggy tank driving missions in ME1 were a bit of a drag though (to go all over the map to find a base and then shoot everything in it (the interiors were rather copy/pasted as well).
That was the only part that was a bit tedious - not to mention going through all of those hills and whatnot.
Old March 2 2012, 05:32 PM   #821
Reverend
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
First off, in my last post, I didn't mean to spoiler anything for anyone. I attempted to be vague, for I honestly am not sure if what I am reading is accurate for I haven't seen anything yet that verifies the rumors. So, again, if I upset anyone, I apologize.

Secondly, from what I have read and seen at IGN, I will be spending a fair amount of time in the Citadel. This game has a terrible case of Skyrim-itis wherein I can't take a step without acquiring a new quest. I fervently hope that the quests don't become a drag like they did in the first game.
Yes, I know you didn't spoil anything and I appreciate that you were being circumspect, which is why I attempted to head off a the discussion before it came to spoilers. After all, you can hardly have a discussion about a leaked ending without getting into spoiler territory sooner or later. Even what you're doing right there by talking about the new citadel side-missions is courting a spoiler discussion, no?

If you want to talk about it then by all means do so, but I think it would be best if you (or someone else?) started a ME3 spoiler thread, but let's keep this one "safe" for the unwary visitor, shall we?

In other news, the launch trailer is up!

Last edited by Reverend; March 2 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old March 2 2012, 06:44 PM   #822
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah... beginning to regret not saving the Destiny Ascension.
Old March 2 2012, 06:55 PM   #823
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

That launch trailer..... Massive WOW!

Old March 2 2012, 07:26 PM   #824
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm resisting the urge to watch it a second time for fear of noticing details...if that makes any sense.
Old March 2 2012, 07:32 PM   #825
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

It makes sense, I've watched it a couple of times, not noticing much in the way of details, just loving the trailer!