Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

With the decades-long viewability of the Trek TV series mostly because it uses uniforms and not current wardrobe fashions and is set in the Trek universe on ships in the future CBS knows they will have years ahead for each series property. TOS and TNG are both being remasted to HD.
    ENT was originally mastered in HD as producers were looking ahead while HDTV just just starting out.
    How will this next Unannounced TV series be shot to futureproof for decades to come for linear TV or consumption by viewers? (so they wont need a major remastering effort in the future like TNG needed).

I'm guessing they may test shooting the pilot in stereoscopic digital 3-D HD video resolution (1080p). This is why I think so. Even if they decide later in post production to not do the VFX and master it in 3-D or decide to shoot the series in 3-D.
    They might shoot it in digitally in 4k resolution just like a feature film to futureproof it for a consumer release in 4k beyond HDTV. Would some motion tracking or a character on the ship use motion tracking to have a fully CGI character on the show similar to 'Avatar'? Will they shoot it in 48 fps (frames per second) instead of the standard 24fps for enhanced clarity like Peter Jackson is using for "The Hobbit"? and James Cameron is planning on 48fps or 60fps for the next Avatar film.
    In a few years there will be a better roadmap to framerates and resolutions for consumer TV displays.
    Will it be mixed in 7.1 sound from the start?
    Producers are going to want it to last for 50 years so what else can they do within 5 years to make that so? Yes this thread deals with the next Trek TV series which will probably happen within the next 3-5 years (camera lens flares aside...)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What series, man?

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The next one of course!

There will be a next one.

However I have no real opinion on the topic at hand. Bye.

4. Sokath

Sokath Ensign Red Shirt

There has to be a next series. Trek will never die.

5. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

How many shows really spend extra money to "future proof" themselves? The only one I can think of is B5, and all they did was frame the shoot so they could air the show on widescreen television. What other shows have done something like this? Especially at the level of cost all this fancy movie camera stuff will cost?

IF somehow CBS commissions a new Trek and IF somehow they decide to throw money at it and not do it on the cheap, I can't really see them being concerned with anything more than making the show highly rated in the here and now. Future proofing will be a waste of money unless the show has legs to last more than a season. Despite its past success, I can't see CBS viewing Trek as any less risky than any other TV series remake.

6. jefferiestubes8

2 things:
    create a database library of words from new vocal recordings for the ship's computer. I've detailed it how it would be done if CBS/Paramount were to use Majel Barret's voice in the future.

If a new voice actor were chosen perhaps the producers would start on a database library from the first recordings of this new actor. If they do use a new actor over time I'm really going to miss Majel Barret's voice as the computer when watching VOY, TNG, & ENT episodes.

another thing is a CGI likeness of all the principle cast for creating stunt shots with CGI dolls and the actor's likeness. I think each actor would be face scanned during the first season after the pilot for use whenever needed
    and after reading this idea for use down the road if ever needed for a movie or something. While not TOS but whatever the new series is called if they ever wanted to use this actor in their present look in a future Trek series having that high resolution CGI data from a facial and body scan would be ideal. Also this data could be used for videogames including the character.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's far from dead. There's a movie coming out next year. A television series is not required.

8. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Not required??? Bite your tongue! :scream:

9. jefferiestubes8

while not creating an animated Trek series (line art or CGI) all of the CGI models used for any effects work should be archived and kept by CBS Home Video for use in menu design of Blu-ray and home video authoring of future physical product menu design.
    These include ships, environments, planets. any and all CGI models as well as any Performance Capture data.
    saved on harddrive as well as digital linear tape such as LTO-5.

10. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sounds expensive. Season Openers and Finales, Yes. Every episode no.

11. jefferiestubes8

after reading Roger Ebert's review of Titanic 3-D re-release
    This makes the case for shooting the next Trek TV series in 3-D to protect for a future 3-D release.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Why would we need to do that? 3D is a gimmick; HD is not. Most TVs these days are HD, so it makes sense to make a series for HD - because everyone can see it. Not everyone has, or wants, 3D.

13. jefferiestubes8

Mr. Laser Beam if you read the title of the thread and the first post you can see we are thinking of 20-50 years down the road. What producers have to do for TNG-R should not have to be done again in any major way for future audiences. What are some of the things that can be done today?

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the next Trek series isn't made until 2025, we don't have to worry about it.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The most important thing to do in order to future proof a series is to get the series made in the first place. That means keeping the budget under control so the show can make money with a limited audience now. Most likely that will mean no added cost. Shoot digital in HD resolution. Render all CGI in HD without spending the time to create a more detailed model that you won't be able to notice.

100 episodes in HD is a lot more future proof than 13 episodes in 3D at 4K.

16. jefferiestubes8

AviTrek I think you are approaching this thread with a specific agenda.
    I am talking about once a show is greenlit and say a TV network has agreed to a 13 or 26 episode order.
    TPTB saved all of the TV series original camera negatives and now it is paying off for TNG-R.
    This thread is a hypothetical type of thread that deals with when a scenario is already in play.
    Since season 4 of ENT shot in HD they won't be going back to shooting film since almost all TV episodics are shot in HD now.
    Since we all know that there is a built-in Trek fanbase that will buy Trek product if it is a 2-season show or a 7-season show we are takling about futureproofing it beyond one generation of home video release and the first HD broadcast.

17. jefferiestubes8

Scan sets

Why not scan every set using this?
    http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2011/11/13/police-use-3-d-crime-scene-technology/
    Could be used for home video special features or videogames or CGI sets for short scenes.

18. jefferiestubes8

framerate

Okay what about higher framerates?

Douglass Trumbull says:
    as well as some documentaries. Part of the video-look that looks like you are looking through a window.
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/cinemacon-james-cameron-demos-the-future-of-cinema-at-60-fps/
    If Trek shoots the next series pilot at 60fps it will be cutting edge for future releases.

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The way to futureproof the next TV series is to hire good writers.

If the writing is good, they won't care about cardboard sets or styrofoam rocks like you had in TOS. If the writing is bad, no amount of great special FX and HD cinematography will make it worth watching in 20 years.

20. jefferiestubes8

Here is an excellent 5 minute video with Douglas Trumbull (who did 2001: A Space Odyssey Visual FX)

Video: Douglas Trumbull On Fast Frames Per Second

shows examples of 24, 60, & 120 frames per second.

Now I see exactly why James Cameron may go 48 or 60fps. If this ends up the way to go I can see Trek producers going with state of the art shooting for future-proofing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016