Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 7 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series

With the decades-long viewability of the Trek TV series mostly because it uses uniforms and not current wardrobe fashions and is set in the Trek universe on ships in the future CBS knows they will have years ahead for each series property. TOS and TNG are both being remasted to HD.
ENT was originally mastered in HD as producers were looking ahead while HDTV just just starting out.
How will this next Unannounced TV series be shot to futureproof for decades to come for linear TV or consumption by viewers? (so they wont need a major remastering effort in the future like TNG needed).

I'm guessing they may test shooting the pilot in stereoscopic digital 3-D HD video resolution (1080p). This is why I think so. Even if they decide later in post production to not do the VFX and master it in 3-D or decide to shoot the series in 3-D.
They might shoot it in digitally in 4k resolution just like a feature film to futureproof it for a consumer release in 4k beyond HDTV. Would some motion tracking or a character on the ship use motion tracking to have a fully CGI character on the show similar to 'Avatar'? Will they shoot it in 48 fps (frames per second) instead of the standard 24fps for enhanced clarity like Peter Jackson is using for "The Hobbit"? and James Cameron is planning on 48fps or 60fps for the next Avatar film.
In a few years there will be a better roadmap to framerates and resolutions for consumer TV displays.
Will it be mixed in 7.1 sound from the start?
Producers are going to want it to last for 50 years so what else can they do within 5 years to make that so? Yes this thread deals with the next Trek TV series which will probably happen within the next 3-5 years (camera lens flares aside...)

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; February 7 2012 at 02:03 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 01:36 PM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series

What series, man?
Old February 7 2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The next one of course!

There will be a next one.

However I have no real opinion on the topic at hand. Bye.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Sokath
Ensign

There has to be a next series. Trek will never die.
Sokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
The Green Mushroom
Commander

How many shows really spend extra money to "future proof" themselves? The only one I can think of is B5, and all they did was frame the shoot so they could air the show on widescreen television. What other shows have done something like this? Especially at the level of cost all this fancy movie camera stuff will cost?

IF somehow CBS commissions a new Trek and IF somehow they decide to throw money at it and not do it on the cheap, I can't really see them being concerned with anything more than making the show highly rated in the here and now. Future proofing will be a waste of money unless the show has legs to last more than a season. Despite its past success, I can't see CBS viewing Trek as any less risky than any other TV series remake.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:12 PM   #6
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

2 things:
create a database library of words from new vocal recordings for the ship's computer. I've detailed it how it would be done if CBS/Paramount were to use Majel Barret's voice in the future.

If a new voice actor were chosen perhaps the producers would start on a database library from the first recordings of this new actor. If they do use a new actor over time I'm really going to miss Majel Barret's voice as the computer when watching VOY, TNG, & ENT episodes.

another thing is a CGI likeness of all the principle cast for creating stunt shots with CGI dolls and the actor's likeness. I think each actor would be face scanned during the first season after the pilot for use whenever needed
USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be cool, when CGI becomes so sophisticated that they can make new episodes that look like real TV including the actors.

They could produce endless new TOS episodes and movies that look like the original actors were in it, and for the price of what the animation would be.
and after reading this idea for use down the road if ever needed for a movie or something. While not TOS but whatever the new series is called if they ever wanted to use this actor in their present look in a future Trek series having that high resolution CGI data from a facial and body scan would be ideal. Also this data could be used for videogames including the character.
Old February 21 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Sokath wrote: View Post
It's far from dead. There's a movie coming out next year. A television series is not required.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
T'Cal
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sokath wrote: View Post
It's far from dead. There's a movie coming out next year. A television series is not required.
Not required??? Bite your tongue!
Old February 23 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

while not creating an animated Trek series (line art or CGI) all of the CGI models used for any effects work should be archived and kept by CBS Home Video for use in menu design of Blu-ray and home video authoring of future physical product menu design.
These include ships, environments, planets. any and all CGI models as well as any Performance Capture data.
saved on harddrive as well as digital linear tape such as LTO-5.
Old February 26 2012, 02:58 AM   #10
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Sounds expensive. Season Openers and Finales, Yes. Every episode no.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 04:01 PM   #11
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I'm guessing they may test shooting the pilot in stereoscopic digital 3-D HD video resolution (1080p). This is why I think so.
after reading Roger Ebert's review of Titanic 3-D re-release
Gaith wrote: View Post
"Titanic" was not shot for 3D, and just as you cannot gild a pig, you cannot make 2D into 3D. What you can do, and he tries to do it well, is find certain scenes that you can present as having planes of focus in foreground, middle and distance. So what? Did you miss any dimensions the first time you saw "Titanic?" No matter how long Cameron took to do it, no matter how much he spent, this is retrofitted 2D. Case closed.
This makes the case for shooting the next Trek TV series in 3-D to protect for a future 3-D release.
Old March 1 2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Why would we need to do that? 3D is a gimmick; HD is not. Most TVs these days are HD, so it makes sense to make a series for HD - because everyone can see it. Not everyone has, or wants, 3D.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Why would we need to do that? 3D is a gimmick; HD is not. Most TVs these days are HD, so it makes sense to make a series for HD - because everyone can see it. Not everyone has, or wants, 3D.
Mr. Laser Beam if you read the title of the thread and the first post you can see we are thinking of 20-50 years down the road. What producers have to do for TNG-R should not have to be done again in any major way for future audiences. What are some of the things that can be done today?
Old March 1 2012, 05:30 PM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

If the next Trek series isn't made until 2025, we don't have to worry about it.
Old March 1 2012, 07:08 PM   #15
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

The most important thing to do in order to future proof a series is to get the series made in the first place. That means keeping the budget under control so the show can make money with a limited audience now. Most likely that will mean no added cost. Shoot digital in HD resolution. Render all CGI in HD without spending the time to create a more detailed model that you won't be able to notice.

100 episodes in HD is a lot more future proof than 13 episodes in 3D at 4K.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote