Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 29 2012, 09:29 PM   #91
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

I think it would have been more adventurous to cast an Asian man as Sherlock Holmes, and a white female as Watson....and have the "sexual tension" in that regards. (Especially since Asian men are usually seen as asexual, or computer nerds, etc...)

That would have been something different.

Lucy Liu has played this type of role before, so it's technically nothing new.

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; February 29 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 10:04 PM   #92
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Then he killed off Holmes and brought him back with a dodgy explanation that William Shatner wouldn't have dared put into The Return.
Actually Holmes's death was quite easy to retcon, since it happened "offscreen." There were no witnesses and they never found a body. Doyle wanted to kill off Holmes for good, but he inadvertently chose the easiest possible kind of character death to undo.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 10:04 PM   #93
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ And thus an entire template for black and white cliffhanger serials was created!
Old February 29 2012, 10:58 PM   #94
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Lest we forget, Arthur Conan Doyle married Watson off, then moved him back into 221B Baker Street and conveniently failed to mention the Mrs again. Then he killed off Holmes and brought him back with a dodgy explanation that William Shatner wouldn't have dared put into The Return. Deviating from the canon didn't begin with Lucy Liu!
PLOT HOLE!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:03 AM   #95
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Zero interest here in watching Lucy Liu as Watson. And I say this as someone who has seen every single Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movie.

I have been giving serious thought to trying out the British show...but already this American version is losing my interest, and it hasn't even started production yet.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:35 AM   #96
Christopher
Writer

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Zero interest here in watching Lucy Liu as Watson. And I say this as someone who has seen every single Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movie.
I find that ironic, given that Nigel Bruce's version was perhaps the most inauthentic portrayal of Watson ever, taking this brave, stalwart man of action who was intelligent enough to pull off a dual career as a doctor and a published author and reducing him to a bumbling imbecile. I think Ms. Liu is easily capable of playing a far more authentic Watson than Mr. Bruce ever did.

Old March 1 2012, 02:43 AM   #97
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Christopher wrote: View Post
I find that ironic, given that Nigel Bruce's version was perhaps the most inauthentic portrayal of Watson ever, taking this brave, stalwart man of action who was intelligent enough to pull off a dual career as a doctor and a published author and reducing him to a bumbling imbecile. I think Ms. Liu is easily capable of playing a far more authentic Watson than Mr. Bruce ever did.

Who said anything about the classic film version being 'authentic'? In fact, I point out my love of them precisely because they ARE 'inauthentic'. And I liked them anyway! While this new inauthentic version (and yes, it is inauthentic), I have no interest in.

And sorry...but Lucy Liu playing a character that is written as a male is indeed 'inauthentic'. But I have a LOT less interest in seeing that than in seeing Nigel Bruce...who I quite enjoyed despite his inability to carry off a frakkin' mini-skirt....which I presume is the primary reason for making Watson into an attractive female.

Sad that every frakkin' thing is this country has to be about sex, to the point where the producers of the American version don't have confidence a show will succeed with the male demographic unless it contains beautiful women, short skirts and catsuits. Pity, if we are truly that shallow.

Oh...and by the way...Nigel Bruce happens to have been a fine actor. Just because the character was a 'bumbling imbecile' (who, by the way, fans LOVED) doesn't mean he was.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 03:27 AM   #98
Christopher
Writer

And sorry...but Lucy Liu playing a character that is written as a male is indeed 'inauthentic'.
But trivial. I'd say that Watson's intelligence, physical prowess, and competence are far more important to who the character is than the fact that he has a Y chromosome and can grow a moustache. The idea that there's some fundamental, insurmountable difference between characters "written as a male" and characters written as female is outdated, chauvinistic rubbish. There are differences, yes, but we now have tons of female characters in fiction who are more than capable in roles that were once considered exclusively suited for men, whether action hero or brilliant scientist or tough cop or hero's best platonic friend or President of the United States.

But I have a LOT less interest in seeing that than in seeing Nigel Bruce...who I quite enjoyed despite his inability to carry off a frakkin' mini-skirt....which I presume is the primary reason for making Watson into an attractive female.
Now, that's just sexist, assuming that the only relevant trait Lucy Liu has going for her is her looks.

Sad that every frakkin' thing is this country has to be about sex, to the point where the producers of the American version don't have confidence a show will succeed with the male demographic unless it contains beautiful women, short skirts and catsuits. Pity, if we are truly that shallow.
You're ignoring the fact that male actors are cast for their sex appeal too. Come on, look at the current Holmes movie series -- you think Jude Law wasn't cast for his looks? And here's the guy playing Holmes in this pilot, Jonny Lee Miller. I'm not much of a judge of male attractiveness, but he looks to me like someone women would find attractive.

Like I said, half of CBS's audience is female, so it's incredibly naive to think they're only interested in selling sex to heterosexual men. Women have always been a major target demographic for television, since women have traditionally been responsible for a lot of the purchasing decisions in a household. And so TV shows have always tried to make the male characters sexy as well as the female ones. Sure, Lt. Uhura and the yeomen wore miniskirts, but how often did Captain Kirk lose his shirt? And it was Spock who got the overwhelming majority of the fan mail from lovestruck female viewers.

So no, they didn't cast Lucy Liu solely to make male viewers horny. They no doubt cast her because they want the women who make up half their audience to have a strong female lead character they can relate to. Remember that Watson is the viewpoint character of the entire series -- not someone who's looked at from outside, but someone through whose eyes we see the adventures, the everyperson that we identify with. Making that character a woman helps attract women to the show, at least in theory.

Oh...and by the way...Nigel Bruce happens to have been a fine actor. Just because the character was a 'bumbling imbecile' (who, by the way, fans LOVED) doesn't mean he was.
Huh? I never said anything about the actor. I was just saying that the version of Watson he played is drastically revisionist, so if you liked that interpretation, it's a double standard to reject another revisionist interpretation out of hand.

Old March 1 2012, 03:40 AM   #99
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

People who have read the books are the exception.

The rest of the filth don't know why they know these characters because the identity of Holmes and Watson has been programmed into them form a hundred different directions inadvertently by a living zeitgeist the size of human conciousness.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 03:43 AM   #100
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I have been giving serious thought to trying out the British show...but already this American version is losing my interest, and it hasn't even started production yet.
Oh, you need to see Sherlock. It's brilliant. I've had a couple of friends who reacted with skepticism to the idea of a modern-day Holmes, but once they actually watched it, they realized just how cleverly Sherlock was executed.

I mean, I enjoyed the first Downey/Law movie (haven't see the sequel yet), but the modern show blows it away.
Old March 1 2012, 04:01 AM   #101
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Barney on Ice blows away either Downey JR Holmes.

They're pomp and circumstance rubbish.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 04:15 AM   #102
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I like Sherlock Holmes and I'm willing to check it out, even if it's just for a laugh. It could actually be really good though if they treat the subject matter well enough. I wonder how they're going to explain the change in location though, or if they're just going to change his lineage altogether. At least they're trying something new. It might fail, and it might not, but at least they gave something a try.

Off-topic a bit, but has anyone ever written a story of Holmes in the old west? Would love to see that.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 04:47 AM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I wonder how they're going to explain the change in location though, or if they're just going to change his lineage altogether.
As stated in the article linked earlier, Holmes is still a Brit, a consultant for Scotland Yard who came to New York to enter drug rehab.

Off-topic a bit, but has anyone ever written a story of Holmes in the old west? Would love to see that.
Mark Twain did, although it's a satire:

"A Double Barrelled Detective Story" at Project Gutenberg
Description of story at Wikipedia

Old March 1 2012, 06:04 AM   #104
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, there was Sherlock Holmes in Dallas (in which he investigated the JFK assassination), but I guess that's not quite the Old West!
Old March 1 2012, 06:17 AM   #105
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ahh, thanks Christopher. Exactly what I wanted to know. And that story seems right up my alley.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote