RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 455
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 29 2012, 12:58 PM   #181
nvek86
Commander

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
To quote the Video Blogger host of "Shameful Sequels" in his review to "Garfield 2" (paraphrased): "Bill Murray refuses to do Ghostbusters 3 but he says yes to this shit?"
Apparently it was a case of mistaken identity:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/07/21...field-mistake/

Of course, this does not explain why he did the second one as well (but to be fair: he was the best thing about those films).
Old February 29 2012, 01:45 PM   #182
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Looks like the project is back in development hell (or more than likely dead). I don't really want to see a Ghostbusters III without Bill Murray. Ah hell...I'm a little wishy washy on the subject
Damn! Just kill this already! We don't need another Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!
I like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:21 PM   #183
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I liked "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as well. It's not a great movie by any means but it was enjoyable.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:34 PM   #184
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

nvek86 wrote: View Post
To quote the Video Blogger host of "Shameful Sequels" in his review to "Garfield 2" (paraphrased): "Bill Murray refuses to do Ghostbusters 3 but he says yes to this shit?"

Of course, this does not explain why he did the second one as well (but to be fair: he was the best thing about those films).
If you think that Cohen / Coen thing is anything more than Murray being completely tongue-in-cheek, you need to think again. Bill Murray is basically the ultimate troll, and with Garfield, he got paid a truckload of money to go into a voice booth for a few days and record his dialogue.

In any event, I hope this finally kills the project once and for all.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:43 PM   #185
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think Bill would do it if they had a script in place that pleased him...to me that seems to be the problem with any of these attempts, there isn't a script that is of interest to him.

Old February 29 2012, 07:24 PM   #186
Aragorn
Admiral

If you believe that, then you'd also believe that Chuck Norris can personally make a $100 million movie he's barely in PG-13.

Maybe Ian McShane and Joan Allen can explain Death Race by saying they thought they were going to be working with the Paul Anderson who made Magnolia and Boogie Nights.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 07:28 PM   #187
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I think Bill would do it if they had a script in place that pleased him...to me that seems to be the problem with any of these attempts, there isn't a script that is of interest to him.
Since you're apparently on a first-name basis with him, maybe you can ask.

No, Murray's reluctance (and now, refusal) is due to two factors: One, he had a terrible time on Ghostbusters II and it really soured him on the franchise. Two, he and Ramis still have never really mended their fences since the complete and utter falling out that came about because of Groundhog Day. It's not a Cold War like it was until about 2004 or 2005, but the two are still not anywhere near being on the best of terms. Murray's a very sensitive guy, and he was very hurt by Aykroyd and Reitman on Ghostbusters II, and he felt incredibly hurt by Ramis on Groundhog Day. He very clearly doesn't have much interest in resurrecting a franchise he isn't terribly fond of in the first place, especially when there's no real creative reason to do so.
Old February 29 2012, 09:41 PM   #188
MPH
Rear Admiral

Should just reboot it!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 10:28 PM   #189
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post

If you think that Cohen / Coen thing is anything more than Murray being completely tongue-in-cheek, you need to think again. Bill Murray is basically the ultimate troll, and with Garfield, he got paid a truckload of money to go into a voice booth for a few days and record his dialogue.

In any event, I hope this finally kills the project once and for all.
Yeah, I don't believe the "Cohen/Coen" story for a minute it sounds to me like classic Bill Murray trying to make a joke out of a bad choice. If he likes the work of the Coens so much he'd certainly notice the different spelling of the name, the lack of the other brother and, oh, the fact that he never met them during production.
Old February 29 2012, 11:26 PM   #190
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You have absolutely no proof that Bill Murray can spell.

For gods sake, the man is an actor.

AN ACTOR!

And he's not one of those actors that remembers lines either.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 11:38 PM   #191
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

No, Murray's reluctance (and now, refusal) is due to two factors: One, he had a terrible time on Ghostbusters II and it really soured him on the franchise. Two, he and Ramis still have never really mended their fences since the complete and utter falling out that came about because of Groundhog Day. It's not a Cold War like it was until about 2004 or 2005, but the two are still not anywhere near being on the best of terms. Murray's a very sensitive guy, and he was very hurt by Aykroyd and Reitman on Ghostbusters II, and he felt incredibly hurt by Ramis on Groundhog Day. He very clearly doesn't have much interest in resurrecting a franchise he isn't terribly fond of in the first place, especially when there's no real creative reason to do so.
I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing... what happened in Groundhog Day that split them apart?
Old February 29 2012, 11:48 PM   #192
Dream
Admiral

Since Murray did Garfield 2, he is obviously not above doing a bad movie simply for the paycheck.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 11:52 PM   #193
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Cyke101 wrote: View Post

I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing... what happened in Groundhog Day that split them apart?
Murray felt his character, and the story, should be played completely seriously, as though it were a drama, while Ramis said, "Come on, this is a comedy." There were several large blow-ups between the two on the set, and it culminated in Murray, after his last scene was completed, going over to Ramis and saying, essentially, "I have nothing more to say to you." Ramis reached out several times throughout the '90s and the early parts of the aughts, but Murray didn't return any calls from Ramis until something like 2005 (I believe that was the year; I need to check my interview notes); they're on speaking terms nowadays, but Murray is still pretty hurt. I'm sure that part of it is him being childish, but, really, he's earned it.
Old March 1 2012, 12:34 AM   #194
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'm well aware of the issues that Murray has had...which doesn't make my point any less valid. I think he was waiting for a draft of the script which would absolutely convince him to come back and that addressed his concerns and problems. Obviously that script never came about due to his previous comments on the subject, and frankly based on what some of those supposed drafts were, I'm not surprised he has rejected the project.

Old March 1 2012, 01:00 AM   #195
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post

Murray felt his character, and the story, should be played completely seriously, as though it were a drama, while Ramis said, "Come on, this is a comedy." There were several large blow-ups between the two on the set, and it culminated in Murray, after his last scene was completed, going over to Ramis and saying, essentially, "I have nothing more to say to you." Ramis reached out several times throughout the '90s and the early parts of the aughts, but Murray didn't return any calls from Ramis until something like 2005 (I believe that was the year; I need to check my interview notes); they're on speaking terms nowadays, but Murray is still pretty hurt. I'm sure that part of it is him being childish, but, really, he's earned it.
Bill Murray, as is suggested in that very movie about his character, is a big prima donna.