RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 413
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 20 2012, 09:40 PM   #31
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Best Starfleet Captains

tighr wrote: View Post
Wil has a posse wrote: View Post
Ditto for Tryla Scott.
I think Tryla Scott could have been cool, but as far as canon is concerned she was in all of one episode, and she was under parasite control the whole time.

I see her getting a lot of love on forums (same with Rachel Garrett) but it all seems to be based on a singular appearance. It would have been nicer to see more canon appearances by either character.
One thing that's always baffled me about the end of that episode. On the E-D, we see Admiral Quinn sitting up and doing fine by the end, does that mean that Tryla Scott and the others all recovered with no ill effects as well?
Old January 20 2012, 10:09 PM   #32
tighr
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
One thing that's always baffled me about the end of that episode. On the E-D, we see Admiral Quinn sitting up and doing fine by the end, does that mean that Tryla Scott and the others all recovered with no ill effects as well?
It was never seen, but Beverley did suggest that the only way to disable the zombie officers was with a phaser set on a high setting.

It was never followed up in canon, but its extremely likely everyone else died.
Old January 23 2012, 09:09 AM   #33
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Wil has a posse wrote: View Post
Ditto for Tryla Scott.
I think Tryla Scott could have been cool, but as far as canon is concerned she was in all of one episode, and she was under parasite control the whole time.

I see her getting a lot of love on forums (same with Rachel Garrett) but it all seems to be based on a singular appearance. It would have been nicer to see more canon appearances by either character.
As far as Garrett goes, only Sisko went up against more ships He though was helped by gods who needed him. He might have even had an idea that the Prophets would intervene.

Garrett was going it alone, knowing she would lose. Knowing that losing might save the Federation. That's why she's such a bad ass.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 08:44 PM   #34
T'Cal
Commodore

horatio83 wrote: View Post
T'Cal wrote: View Post
Ultramann wrote: View Post
Has Ben Maxwell appeared in any novels? Can't recall.
Sadly, no. He appeared only on screen on TNG's "The Wounded." Excellent episode, BTW. It's a shame that he was not brought back on DS9 as a Maquis Officer or at least a Maquis sympathizer.
Hard to be a Maquis while being incarcerated in a Federation prison...
Very true. I had hoped that once the Dominion War was declared, Starfleet would've realized that Maxwell was right and they would've commuted his sentence. A pact could've been formed with the surviving Maquis, etc. We might've seen Tom Riker again. Still, I have no complaints about DS9 and the way the writers handles the DW arc. It was excellent television.
Old February 29 2012, 08:47 PM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

They might have commuted his sentance, that doesn't mean he would be given command again though.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2012, 09:41 PM   #36
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
They might have commuted his sentance, that doesn't mean he would be given command again though.
Maybe not a command, but surely a posting as tactical advisor on some admiral's Flag Staff.
Old March 3 2012, 10:28 PM   #37
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

T'Cal wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
He seemed like a very honorable and trustworthy man.
You mean honorable, other than killing all those Cardassians?
Maxwell was right all along! I wish they had brought him back along with other Maquis sympathizers like Tom Riker and Cal Hudson. Did the latter survive or was he killed? Can't recall.
Regardless of whether Maxwell was right, he had no right to endanger his crew and the rest of the quadrant by unilaterally deciding how to handle the situation. If he wanted to fly along the edge of the border with a spy camera, fine. The Cardassians could bitch about it, but if they get caught, there's nothing they can do about it. Actually violating Cardassian territorial sovereignty...not cool.
Old March 3 2012, 10:58 PM   #38
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Regardless of whether Maxwell was right, he had no right to endanger his crew and the rest of the quadrant by unilaterally deciding how to handle the situation.
Isn't that part of what Starfleet Captains do? Maxwell's only true offense was violating Starfleet's direct orders, once he was given them. We saw all the hero Captains act unilaterally, proven correct (eventually) Maxwell would have been exonerated of the majority of the charges against him.

A new combat command would be likely.

Actually violating Cardassian territorial sovereignty...not cool.
Isn't that part of what Starfleet Captains do?

")
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 04:06 AM   #39
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

No, not to the point of starting their own war. (And before you ask, yes, Sisko should be liable for the similar things he has done.)
Old March 4 2012, 04:19 AM   #40
tafkats
Vice Admiral

Leaving out anyone who was a series regular for the sake of making it more interesting...

Rachel Garrett for sure. A tragic figure who knew what needed to be done and was willing to do it, even knowing it meant all-but-certain death for her and her crew.

I liked Erika Hernandez from Enterprise and wouldn't have minded seeing more of her.

I kind of liked Captain Keogh of the Odyssey (DS9), though he didn't get much screen time before the Jem'Hadar blew him up.

Leaving canon, I'm a fan of Peter David's version of Captain Taggert of the Repulse.