RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 468
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 26 2012, 09:34 PM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Could we have an alien Captain?

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
You can get away with an alien first officer because they're not the face of the show.
As I pointed out in another thread that had the same discussion going on, the Captain needn't necessarily be the face of the show. It could be a Horatio Hornblower-type deal, then the focus of the story would be a dashing, young, good-looking lieutenant, and the Captain could be whatever. It could even have six heads and three butts, because its not the heroic focus.
This could work. The captain will be exotic and alien, as will many of the main and recurring cast, while the lead - a young, brash ensign - can be "standard," so as to increase the odds of audience acceptance.

"Standard" means young, white and American (or nominally of some other nation, but indistinguishable from being American, cuz you know there aren't any nations anymore - Uhura's nominally African identity being a good template here) Probably male but could be female.

You wouldn't think a "standard" lead would be so important on cable, but just look at the characters who actually are the leads of cable series - predominantly white and American, more males than females, younger than the national average. Plus Star Trek has already got a lot of odd stuff for the audience to accept, better not to push things by making the lead character one of the exotic elements.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 06:19 AM   #32
BrownShatner
Lieutenant Commander

Modern Star Trek has gotten away from the Alien = Rubber Forehead formula. So you could have an alien captain that fit the normal lead actor looks stereotypes and wouldn't have scabies on his face.

Don't forget Superman is an alien, but still fulfills the all-american boy type character. You could imagine a typical Captain character which also has psychic abilities or incredible strength.
BrownShatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 09:08 AM   #33
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Oh we all agree that would work.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 06:19 PM   #34
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant

Frontier wrote: View Post
I think the next captain has to be female, since we've only had 1 such out of 5 (or 6 if you count nuKirk) and also of non-Caucasian ethnicity (Asian, Hispanic, Black, et cetera).

Another guy or another white is just... yeah, ridiculous. Make the first officer a white guy if you have to, but make the next captain a non-white female.

Ideally, I'd say make both the CO and XO non-white females. Maybe a human non-white female CO and an alien non-white female XO.

I dare say that at least a minimum of 4 of 9 of the crew female as well.

And FYI I'm a whiter-than-snow man saying this. More females, more ethnicity, damnit. We're not in the stone ages anymore!

Frankly, the next Trek series shouldn't have more than a maximum of 1 white guy and 1 white gal on the whole regular cast. We've got Indians and Latinos and Asians and Middle Eastern and black and so on and so forth. Lets see 'em, even if they're playing aliens!

Oh and... yeah, after the snubbing of the 90s? They need two gay characters, one male and one female. Minimum.

Serious on all of this. They need to go the extra twenty miles on diversity next time.
How about a navigator with down syndrome and a dwarf as the engineering officer while we are at it?
Old February 28 2012, 09:35 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

BrownShatner wrote: View Post
Modern Star Trek has gotten away from the Alien = Rubber Forehead formula. So you could have an alien captain that fit the normal lead actor looks stereotypes and wouldn't have scabies on his face.

Don't forget Superman is an alien, but still fulfills the all-american boy type character. You could imagine a typical Captain character which also has psychic abilities or incredible strength.
Supes looks completely human. Star Trek doesn't really do completely human looking aliens. Last time I checked, they were firmly in the rubber forehead mold. When did they change? I'd love to think that there's some new Star Trek out there that somehow escaped my eagle eye.

But howabout this - an android captain!!! Or maybe an augment or a hologram? Those are the three main ways to have a human-looking but "alien" character in Star Trek.
How about a navigator with down syndrome and a dwarf as the engineering officer while we are at it?
Hey, a dwarf would fit into the Jeffreys tubes much better...wow, would that be un-PC.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 11:18 PM   #36
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant

Star Trek has always been about humanity reaching out to the stars and interacting with the Galaxy and all of its inhabitants as members of a Earth-born government/military.

I'm a non-black male, yet I still have a degree of relatability with Sisko and Janeway because they are still pure-bred humans, they react in a human way. I never could relate much with Spock for instance, he is just not human, in appearance, behaviour and in what he represents.
Old February 29 2012, 01:02 AM   #37
Yevetha
Commodore

The captain does not have to be the most central character.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:10 AM   #38
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

I suppose so but what would change the model too?
Old February 29 2012, 02:23 AM   #39
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant

If you want a wildly different format with alien captains and leading Ensigns and liberally-minded casting then just make a completely new franchise.
Old February 29 2012, 02:50 AM   #40
zar
Captain

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
a dwarf as the engineering officer
Nog worked engineering, and Aron Eisenberg has stunted growth at just 2 inches above the clinical definition of dwarfism. Close enough?
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 06:03 AM   #41
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
If you want a wildly different format with alien captains and leading Ensigns and liberally-minded casting then just make a completely new franchise.
Now come on casting as not been that bad. Especially compared to other Scifi shows. Minorities (talking humans) do actually do stuff in Trek.

Battlestar: One minority of note and that character was orginally a black male.

Terra Nova: All the minorities who do anything are female, impossible to find a male who does something that matters

Stargate Universe: Two Asian Females and One Black Male, they got some decent stuff so pass.

Falling Skies: Minority Female love interest, black guy dies first trope in full effect, black male and asian male barely get lines.

So I protest the notion that Trek is not liberal in casting. Its easily in the Top 90% of SciFi related shows. Could it do better yes but so could all entertainment.
Old February 29 2012, 09:41 AM   #42
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^Nichelle Nichols, as Uhura, set the tone early on for the show.
Old February 29 2012, 01:11 PM   #43
miggo
Cadet

Sjaddix, you're wrong.
Old February 29 2012, 07:09 PM   #44
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Explain it then. I have watched plenty of scifi and I just went through a list of recent scifi shows. Trek does pretty darn well in comparison. I don't see how that can be questionable.
Old March 1 2012, 02:54 AM   #45
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

miggo wrote: View Post
Sjaddix, you're wrong.
Excellent debate tactic. Do go on. I'm riveted.