USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 29 2012, 04:20 AM   #61
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

Waston as a female? Don't care either way. Could be an interesting change.
Third Sherlock adaption in under 5 years? Ugh, getting sick of this.
CBS? Mainstream crap with no originality. Now if it were HBO I might be interested.

This is almost definitely a pass for me.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 04:26 AM   #62
Dream
Admiral

Also Watson is an army doctor not some surgeon who lost her license after a patient died like she will be on the show. They don't even the same background!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:04 AM   #63
the G-man
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
While I don't have great expectations for this show, the casting of Lucy Liu as Watson DOES strike me as a pretty interesting one.

After House, Sherlock, and the RDJ movies, the previous dynamic feels awfully played out by now, and having a woman in there could provide something new.

Of course, as usual, it all depends on the writing.
This is actually not the first time Dr Watson has been a woman in a network TV updating of the Holmes story, interestingly enough. There was a made for TV movie back in the 70s starring, of all people, Larry Hagman as. Holmes.

There was also the movie They Might Be Giants
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:22 AM   #64
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
It is so OBVIOUS that after turning Watson female, the writers will eventually have her have a romantic relationship with Holmes in a later season. That pretty much happens with nearly all cop shows with male and female leads.
No, it really doesn't. I've never known it to happen in CSI or CSI:NY, and it certainly didn't happen in Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Or broadening the parameters beyond cop shows, there's Warehouse 13, which features a male-female agent duo, and it's been made very clear that Pete and Myka think of each other as brother and sister and would never be romantically involved. Same with The Middleman, where the title character was portrayed as a surrogate father figure for his female sidekick; the show's creator did a weekly online Q&A, and whenever a fan suggested "shipping" MM and Wendy, the creator reacted in disgust to a suggestion he considered incestuous.

So as with every other objection you've raised, you're dead wrong and far too narrow-minded in your assumptions. There are plenty of ways for men and women to relate to each other besides the romantic or sexual, and luckily there are plenty of television creators who understand that far better than you do.

Holmes and Watson is also the biggest bromance in history. If they going to turn Watson into some asian woman, they might as well give the show a different name.
Good grief, you actually think the race of the actor matters? Where the hell are you posting from, the 1950s?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:38 AM   #65
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

This is almost as bad as turning Watson into a robot in that future reboot version.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:40 AM   #66
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about Watson and LeStrade then?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:52 AM   #67
Dream
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So as with every other objection you've raised, you're dead wrong and far too narrow-minded in your assumptions. There are plenty of ways for men and women to relate to each other besides the romantic or sexual, and luckily there are plenty of television creators who understand that far better than you do.
Off the top of my head, we had X-Files, Bones, Castle, and Chuck. This is something I've noticed more and more with recent new shows. I can't see the writers not resist the urge to make it romance.

Good grief, you actually think the race of the actor matters? Where the hell are you posting from, the 1950s?
This new Watson from this show will have absolutely NOTHING to do with the one from the books. She isn't an army doctor, isn't male, isn't even British (my biggest complaint). They've changed the character too much. Why call her Watson if her character is completely different from the books?

They changed Starbuck into a female, but her character still resembles the one from the original series somewhat.

The BBC Sherlock brought Watson to the modern era, but his character is pretty much the same from the books. Meanwhile the Watson in the recent movies played by Jude Law is probably my favorite Watson. I don't have any problems when it is done well, but I can't see this show turning out that way.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 06:33 AM   #68
Saul
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm glad they are doing some things different and of course making Watson changes the relationship between the character's. They've always had a bromance as men. I think setting it up this way is to give it some sexual tension ala H'uddy/C'ouse.

The more different the series can be the better. I don't want a copy of 'Sherlock'. This says to me it's not going to be like 'Sherlock' so far.
Old February 29 2012, 11:24 AM   #69
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
What about Watson and LeStrade then?
Maybe Lestrade will be female as well. Here's hoping...

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; February 29 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:44 PM   #70
The Wormhole
Admiral

It is so OBVIOUS that after turning Watson female, the writers will eventually have her have a romantic relationship with Holmes in a later season. That pretty much happens with nearly all cop shows with male and female leads. Makes me puke just thinking about it.
You're right, they should have left Watson a male, and developed a romantic relationship between him and Holmes. Now that would have taken the show in a different direction than other crime dramas on American networks.
Old February 29 2012, 02:58 PM   #71
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
This is almost as bad as turning Watson into a robot in that future reboot version.

Because there's no difference between a cheesy sci-fi gimmick and casting a woman in a part.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:58 PM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

To make this Holmes not the other Holmes he has to be the opposite of a virgin.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 03:12 PM   #73
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

[
This new Watson from this show will have absolutely NOTHING to do with the one from the books. She isn't an army doctor, isn't male, isn't even British (my biggest complaint). They've changed the character too much. Why call her Watson if her character is completely different from the books?
Why not wait and see the series and see what she has in common with the books? She's a doctor and she's Holmes' sidekick. Her chemistry and dynamic with him is much more important than her past.

They changed Starbuck into a female, but her character still resembles the one from the original series somewhat.
Leaving aside the fact that the original Starbuck wasn't as self-destructive as his female successor and leaving aside the fact that many fans went mental at this announcement, as did the original actor. Not to mention that they changed Boomer's sex, changed his/ her race, made her a Cylon. And that all worked out pretty well, if you ask me.

The BBC Sherlock brought Watson to the modern era, but his character is pretty much the same from the books. Meanwhile the Watson in the recent movies played by Jude Law is probably my favorite Watson. I don't have any problems when it is done well, but I can't see this show turning out that way.
Law's Watson and Freeman's Watson are quite different from the versions played by Nigel Bruce or Edward Hawdwicke. The Watson of the books is described as a small thin man with a moustache. Robert Downey Junior is very different from the tall thin man with a hawklike profile, which is how Holmes is described.

This show may not turn out well, you may be right. But deviating from how past versions have depicted the legend doesn't automatically mean bad.
Old February 29 2012, 03:46 PM   #74
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

You do realize this is American network television we're talking about here? If theres a lazy way to tell a story, you can bet they'll jump on it.

Quite honestly, I don't care about the gender change. Hell, I thought the Starbuck debate was a lot of noise about nothing ( I didn't care for NuBSG for entirely different reasons).
I'd probably find the whole notion interesting if the BBC version didn't exist. As it is, I find the entire premise to be bandwagon jumping of the worst kind.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 03:49 PM   #75
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I really don't get the controversy. They're already changing things up enormously by setting it in the present, and there have been a million variations on the Holmes/Watson dynamic over the years.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote