RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 802
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2012, 09:42 AM   #1096
Dream
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Great episode. This was one of the best episodes of the season.

I loved the Rick and Shane beat down and the entire walker attack later on. This season has been lacking in terms of huge zombie attacks, but this episode didn't have that problem. I especially liked the part when the dead walkers began to pile up on a desperate Rick who was frantically trying to shoot them. Also I can't believe how dumb Shane was not taking the back door on the bus to escape until the very end, another reason why Rick is the better leader.

The Lori and Andrea verbal smack down was a long time coming. I thought Andrea leaving Beth alone was one of the stupidest things she has ever done. What kind of person does that to a suicidal teenager?! Many people who don't really intend to kill themselves end up accidentally doing it anyway because they screw up. If I had been Maggie, I would have tried to murder Andrea for what she let happen to my family member after telling me she would take over watching Beth.

Also poor Randall. Rick keeps changing his mind on whether to kill him or keep him around. Make up your mind already or just put a bullet through the kid's head!
Old February 28 2012, 09:44 AM   #1097
Immolatus
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
The gun was blocking their ability to bite him. I doubt it was any kind of self preservation.
you could be right, it just looked like he pushed it out of the way as not to get shot
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 12:27 PM   #1098
Scout101
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
What kind of person does that to a suicidal teenager?! Many people who don't really intend to kill themselves end up accidentally doing it anyway because they screw up.
That part made perfect sense to me. Watching this girl was taking resources away, and if she was determined to kill herself, it was GOING to happen. No one can watch her 24/7, she'd find a free moment. This was just focring the issue, the 'shit or get off the pot' moment. Either she does it, and the group can stop wasting time and manpower, or she realizes she wants to live, and it's over.

Having been in a similar situation, she probably realized that it wasn't going to resolve itself until she really had the opportunity to DO it, and then she'd see whether she REALLY wanted to, or if she wanted to live...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 02:56 PM   #1099
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

While I hate the little whining Beth is it? Andrea leaving her alone proves her character is without redemption at this point. I really hope Shane gets bit n kills Andrea before Rick blows his head off I love how the writers keep coming up with inventive ways to kill the Walkers.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 02:58 PM   #1100
Agent Richard07
Admiral

- It seemed wrong to reconsider killing the kid. Couldn't they have brought him in?

- Whenever they stab or shoot zombies at close range, I can't help but think that blood will splatter up and infect them or something. Even just having zombies on top of them breathing and drooling is worthy of concern.

- That squelching sound we hear every time a walker is stabbed, crushed or gutted... Not sure if it's too over the top or if it adds a B-movie feel to the zombie attack.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 03:37 PM   #1101
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Andrea has become a total bitch, and is not even entertaining to watch. Shane may be horrible (in my book), but he is entertaining as hell.
Old February 28 2012, 05:06 PM   #1102
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think the writers just have a hard time writing for the women characters in general. The whole part of the episode with "just the women" was a clusterfuck.
Old February 28 2012, 06:25 PM   #1103
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
That part made perfect sense to me. Watching this girl was taking resources away, and if she was determined to kill herself, it was GOING to happen. No one can watch her 24/7, she'd find a free moment. This was just focring the issue, the 'shit or get off the pot' moment. Either she does it, and the group can stop wasting time and manpower, or she realizes she wants to live, and it's over.

Having been in a similar situation, she probably realized that it wasn't going to resolve itself until she really had the opportunity to DO it, and then she'd see whether she REALLY wanted to, or if she wanted to live...
I agree 100%. There've also been suicide moments in the books, both involving characters still around on the show, and I think the show is stealth-addressing those. The two are:

Given the latter, it makes perfect (if cold) sense to let someone off themselves in a relatively controlled manner ... if that's what they're going to do. There's no suicide prevention hotline anymore.
Old February 28 2012, 06:49 PM   #1104
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

I think the writers just have a hard time writing for the women characters in general. The whole part of the episode with "just the women" was a clusterfuck.
Trainwreck, cluster fuck. Your versions of these leaves much to be desired. I thought Lori conveyed her feelings well and andrea has been developed into a hard fighting machine as she is in the comics.
Old February 28 2012, 09:00 PM   #1105
Dream
Admiral

I hope you would think differently if it was someone from your family that wanted to commit suicide.
Old February 28 2012, 09:45 PM   #1106
MPH
Rear Admiral

Im not sure why the writers on this series seem to be making most of the characters totally unlikeable, I wish some of them would get eaten by the Zombies.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 09:47 PM   #1107
Dream
Admiral

MPH wrote: View Post
Im not sure why the writers on this series seem to be making most of the characters totally unlikeable, I wish some of them would get eaten by the Zombies.
If most of the characters were likeable, it would be a pretty boring show.
Old February 28 2012, 10:03 PM   #1108
Scout101
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I hope you would think differently if it was someone from your family that wanted to commit suicide.
I hope you realize we're talking about surviving in a zombie-infested wasteland, and she's not considering suicide because her boyfriend broke up with her. Think we can discuss this just fine in the framework it's in without trying to add more drama and appealing to emotion to attempt to win an argument that's not even happening, thanks.

And since Andrea basically was in the same place herself at the end of Season 1, I'd think she's pretty well qualified to make a call on this one.

In this new reality, they can't afford to watch her forever, and there's no suicide watch to commit her to. If she WANTS to do it, it's GOING to happen. Andrea was just forcing the choice. Once she backed down from going through with it, that fixes the issue WAY faster than watching her for months and hoping the urge goes away, and nothing else goes wrong. The girl is now over it, and wants to live, and came to that on her own.

Sink or swim, i suppose.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 11:46 PM   #1109
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

While it was embarrassing, it was also realistic. A sad number of people still think in those stereotypical terms-- I have relatives who have conversations like that all the time. And this series takes place in the South, where those old-time notions are even more prevalent.
Old February 29 2012, 12:05 AM   #1110
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Trainwreck, cluster fuck. Your versions of these leaves much to be desired. I thought Lori conveyed her feelings well and andrea has been developed into a hard fighting machine as she is in the comics.
It was disjointed in that half the cast just seemed to blink out of existence.

I'll admit the Shane/Rick part of the episode was good, but the girls part? Not well constructed.