Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 25 2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Could we have an alien Captain?

Sure, why not. I want to see a Cardie Starfleet captain!

An alien captain might make Star Trek a harder sell, but the mass audience is a non-starter for space opera on TV anyway. If it's going to work, it needs to work because it is weird-ass sci fi with crazy aliens, not despite it. The time for half-measures is past.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Because audiences wouldn't take him or her seriously.
The people who wouldn't take an alien captain seriously are also the people who wouldn't take Star Trek seriously, so who cares what they think.

The TV business has changed. There's no mass market for Star Trek left. Instead, a new series will need to demand the respect of the audience, by being what it is, and proud of it.

Nobody is going to be interested in some cowardly show that is ashamed of what it is. (And it goes without saying that I'm not talking about this show being on broadcast - that would be an absurd joke. It will have to survive on cable or not at all.)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Yevetha
Commodore

Sjadix posted:
I agree an Asian (anywhere from Saudi Arabia to Japan is fine) and some from South and Central America is a good idea.
There is Robau
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...hard_Robau.jpg
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I think the next captain has to be female, since we've only had 1 such out of 5 (or 6 if you count nuKirk) and also of non-Caucasian ethnicity (Asian, Hispanic, Black, et cetera).

Another guy or another white is just... yeah, ridiculous. Make the first officer a white guy if you have to, but make the next captain a non-white female.

Ideally, I'd say make both the CO and XO non-white females. Maybe a human non-white female CO and an alien non-white female XO.

I dare say that at least a minimum of 4 of 9 of the crew female as well.

And FYI I'm a whiter-than-snow man saying this. More females, more ethnicity, damnit. We're not in the stone ages anymore!

Frankly, the next Trek series shouldn't have more than a maximum of 1 white guy and 1 white gal on the whole regular cast. We've got Indians and Latinos and Asians and Middle Eastern and black and so on and so forth. Lets see 'em, even if they're playing aliens!

Oh and... yeah, after the snubbing of the 90s? They need two gay characters, one male and one female. Minimum.

Serious on all of this. They need to go the extra twenty miles on diversity next time.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think counting Nu Kirk is fair. Not sure counting Kirk is fair either I mean really no one would expect a female captain back in those days.

So 3 White Males, 1 White Female, and 1 Black Male Captains.

I agree on more diversity in crew though. Voyager was a move in the right direction but can get better.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2012, 10:26 PM   #20
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Andorian would be cool. I'll take a captian of any race as long as we get a new show
Old February 26 2012, 02:59 AM   #21
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Then u will be taking a Human.
Old February 26 2012, 06:41 AM   #22
Yevetha
Commodore

Sjaddix wrote: View Post
I don't think counting Nu Kirk is fair. Not sure counting Kirk is fair either I mean really no one would expect a female captain back in those days.

I agree on more diversity in crew though. Voyager was a move in the right direction but can get better.
no one would expect a female captain back in those days.

We had a female Admiral in ENT.
Old February 26 2012, 10:15 AM   #23
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

You can get away with an alien first officer because they're not the face of the show.
As I pointed out in another thread that had the same discussion going on, the Captain needn't necessarily be the face of the show. It could be a Horatio Hornblower-type deal, then the focus of the story would be a dashing, young, good-looking lieutenant, and the Captain could be whatever. It could even have six heads and three butts, because its not the heroic focus.
Old February 26 2012, 10:40 AM   #24
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Yevetha wrote: View Post

no one would expect a female captain back in those days.

We had a female Admiral in ENT.
she is not a main character it does not count. So what do u think of dawn of the jedi. i am surprised about no human lead.

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
You can get away with an alien first officer because they're not the face of the show.
As I pointed out in another thread that had the same discussion going on, the Captain needn't necessarily be the face of the show. It could be a Horatio Hornblower-type deal, then the focus of the story would be a dashing, young, good-looking lieutenant, and the Captain could be whatever. It could even have six heads and three butts, because its not the heroic focus.
if your going to go that way i would prefer a focus on low level crew members with the senior staff in the background.
Old February 26 2012, 10:57 AM   #25
Yevetha
Commodore

she is not a main character it does not count. So what do u think of dawn of the jedi. i am surprised about no human lead.
Now that you mention it i just realised the lack of it.

They did some really short comics with nonhuman leads like some Nym comics, but never something this long.

I like it.
Old February 26 2012, 11:09 AM   #26
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
if your going to go that way i would prefer a focus on low level crew members with the senior staff in the background.
Not enough potential for big adventures. Not close enough to the top of the ship's command structure. Too much bureaucracy, too much interpersonal drama, not enough space adventures. One of those ideas that gets pushed around a lot by fans "new war! time travel show! lower decks!" Takes pie slice out of Star Trek without playing to strengths. Not ideal, in my opinion.
Old February 26 2012, 11:37 AM   #27
Yevetha
Commodore

Too much bureaucracy
Hazard Team was fairly independent.

Not close enough to the top of the ship's command structure.
Special forces have their own command structure.

not enough space adventures.
they can have their own little ship.
I would like to see a Trek show centered around Macos and fighter pilots personally.

In that case the alien captain would not be that disturbing for the average viewer.
Old February 26 2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

The Hazard Team was also tied to whatever the senior staff decided. Making the senior staff background characters with the main characters not having any say in stuff (besides "yes sir" and "pew pew") makes the whole main cast just meat puppets to be ordered around. Alex Munro was not a proactive character. Most everything he did was reactive.

As for fighter pilots, I've no idea where that came from. Out of the blue. Never seen before in Trek, wouldn't add anything honestly. Not opposed, but it would probably end up retreading ground set by S:AAB and NBSG.

The main character (s) of a Trek show needs to be in the upper echelons of a ship's chain of command, because Trek is all about Space Cops Moonlighting As Ambassadors and Scientists. TNG would have been barely servicable if it was just the away teams. DS9 would have been a snore if it was just the lower-ranked guys. We need the guys who make the big decisions so they can make those big decisions. TNG kept things reasonably close to TOS for familiarity's sake. The theoretical next show needs to do much the same - to make sure fans and casual viewers are comfortable. Going Horatio Hornblower and making the show be about a captain-lieutenant mentor relationship is less extreme than making it about special forces and fighter pilots, IMHO.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I've long advocated having dedicated away teams/troops/whatever and what-not as recurring/secondary characters. I think it's neat. It's just not the bread n' butter of Star Trek, is all.
Old February 26 2012, 11:50 AM   #29
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

oh i agree the only point in focusing on non command characters if is your show is based out of starfleet academy. Otherwise must focus on senior command structure.
Old February 26 2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Yevetha
Commodore

The Hazard Team was also tied to whatever the senior staff decided. Making the senior staff background characters with the main characters not having any say in stuff (besides "yes sir" and "pew pew") makes the whole main cast just meat puppets to be ordered around. Alex Munro was not a proactive character. Most everything he did was reactive.
Thats how Starfllet operates just the orders are probably given ofscreen.

As for fighter pilots, I've no idea where that came from. Out of the blue. Never seen before in Trek, wouldn't add anything honestly. Not opposed, but it would probably end up retreading ground set by S:AAB and NBSG.
A star wars starfighter series would be better. I wouldnt mind a book. Federation starfighters show up in Apocalypse Rising.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I've long advocated having dedicated away teams/troops/whatever and what-not as recurring/secondary characters. I think it's neat. It's just not the bread n' butter of Star Trek, is all.