New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: are you a synesthete?
yes 5 15.15%
no 29 87.88%
I have amnesia, does that count? 1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21 2012, 05:57 PM   #16
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: do you have synethesia?

I can see how having colors with sound would help give one perfect pitch.

I don't think I could do that--but I suspect that with the right training, with the way I perceive sounds, I could be a mean DJ or sound engineer. There are few things worse than a great band with a poorly-mixed album that sounds like it's coming out of a mailbox.
Old February 21 2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

20% of people here have synethesia, that's way above the average, which should be less than 5%. Then again, this poll probably skews towards those who would answer yes, and TrekBBS denizens are a special group in any case.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 12:15 AM   #18
Balrog
Commodore

The alphabet tastes delicious.
Old February 22 2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

It's an interesting phenomenon, the overabundance of internet users on bbs and forums claiming they have synesthesia.

IMO it's probably is due to participants with minimal medical training engaging in erroneous self-diagnosis.
Hound of UIster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 12:27 AM   #20
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
/.../ this poll probably skews towards those who would answer yes, and TrekBBS denizens are a special group in any case.
All true, but you didn't take into account that almost three hundred members have been in the thread and not ALL of them have 'voted'.
Old February 22 2012, 01:22 AM   #21
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who votes "yes" is doing so improperly. I also don't think it's right for anyone to make an assumption based on what right now is currently a very small sample size compared to the overall population of the TrekBBS. That is statistically VERY shaky. I'd wait until the poll has run longer before drawing a conclusion.
Old February 22 2012, 01:55 AM   #22
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

I have very specific mental images around numbers. Some numbers have colors, but all numbers up to about 30 have their own mental images. Some of these images made sense, some do not.

Twelve, to me, is represented by an egg carton - that one makes sense.

Eight is represented by a mental photograph of people playing cards. Which I don't even like to do, so I have no idea where that comes from.

Eleven is represented by the face of a digital watch that reads "11:11". Sixteen is somehow represented by a mental photo of scrambled eggs. Five is a mental photo of spokes on the wheel of a bicycle. And Nine is represented by a mental photo of a greasy mechanics shop.

I have absolutely no idea where any of these imaged came from...but they have been attached to those numbers for me since childhood. I have often wondered if any of this makes me nuts. Perhaps so.

Letters used to have images attached as well...but I think typing sort or removed that. Now letters have more to do with the movement my fingers have to make to hit that key. Q, for example, is associated with my left pinky finger and sort of reaching my wrist around sideways to get to the Q button on a keyboard. So Q is a typing movement now...not a mental image.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 07:03 AM   #23
Balrog
Commodore

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who votes "yes" is doing so improperly. I also don't think it's right for anyone to make an assumption based on what right now is currently a very small sample size compared to the overall population of the TrekBBS. That is statistically VERY shaky. I'd wait until the poll has run longer before drawing a conclusion.
Yep, my bad. I was just having breakfast... and I had soup for lunch...
Old February 22 2012, 07:25 AM   #24
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I also just noticed one person voted both "yes" and "no." Also a skew from that, albeit not a giant one.
Old February 24 2012, 04:40 AM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
/.../ this poll probably skews towards those who would answer yes, and TrekBBS denizens are a special group in any case.
All true, but you didn't take into account that almost three hundred members have been in the thread and not ALL of them have 'voted'.
Yeah I did. You even quoted it.

20% of people here have synethesia, that's way above the average, which should be less than 5%. Then again, this poll probably skews towards those who would answer yes, and TrekBBS denizens are a special group in any case.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 04:23 PM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Ironically, I'm watching an animated action series right now in which the title character has synethesia.

As for myself, I'd say no, but I do recall as a kid thinking that certain words looked "different" or "stronger" than others. Can't explain how, but it was something I paid attention to in my reading and writing classes in elementary school and probably helped me get "A"s. As I grew older, though, words all started looking the same after awhile.

Last edited by C.E. Evans; February 24 2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 04:46 PM   #27
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've had moments in the past where I saw black letters with a hint of color. I also woke up one morning to find that colors were more vivid and the light streaming through the window was a rainbow of colors. I wondered if this was due to the sleeping pill I took.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 10:24 PM   #28
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Yeah I did. You even quoted it.
right! -I guess I just was too tired to actually do the math